The Student Room Group

Sixth form, what’s it like?

I am going to sixth form college in September and I’m actually excited, should I be excited?? I’m going to do A level or BTEC law (am unsure about which one) , English language and sociology.

I am so sick of GCSEs and I’m hoping for a miracle and that sixth form is good to me.
Can anyone who’s at sixth form tell me what it’s like??

Scroll to see replies

Check with your sixth form as a lot don’t allow mixing BTECs and A Levels. BTECs are more practical, coursework based rather than exam based like A Levels. I was exited for sixth form too, and I do enjoy my subjects because I love learning new things in them but I hate it at the same time because of the workload. Then again, I’m doing chem, bio and maths and apparently they’re some of the most difficult A Levels to take so my experience may be different to yours.
Not too different from GCSE, except you get to spend some lessons in the common room for study and you will cover topics you did at GCSE but in more detail and it's A Level so obviously expect more work.
Reply 3
Original post by TheMythicalBeast
Check with your sixth form as a lot don’t allow mixing BTECs and A Levels. BTECs are more practical, coursework based rather than exam based like A Levels. I was exited for sixth form too, and I do enjoy my subjects because I love learning new things in them but I hate it at the same time because of the workload. Then again, I’m doing chem, bio and maths and apparently they’re some of the most difficult A Levels to take so my experience may be different to yours.

yeah u can mix a-levels with btecs. People like to take a mix.
Reply 4
Original post by chloeteddy
I am going to sixth form college in September and I’m actually excited, should I be excited?? I’m going to do A level or BTEC law (am unsure about which one) , English language and sociology.

I am so sick of GCSEs and I’m hoping for a miracle and that sixth form is good to me.

i was in the same boat, i hated gcses but now i love a-levels! I do english lit, sociology, law and geography
Having done both 6th form and college I can say that college is far more sociable and your treated more like adults vs 6th form where your still treated as children like you were in year 11 but without as many rules. I also found 6th form to be quite boring with little to do in your frees whereas college the don’t really care what you do providing you show up sometimes and meet the deadlines as really it’s you that it affects if you fail.

I can’t see any problems with taking BTEC and a levels together
Original post by Api00
yeah u can mix a-levels with btecs. People like to take a mix.

As I said, check with the sixth form because not all of them allow it. I’m not saying you can’t, I’m saying some sixth forms don’t allow it like mine
Original post by chloeteddy

It depends.

You either make friends or you dont. As its college then fewer people will know each other so make friends at first. Just be sociable and see what happens.

You should have chosen subjects you are good at or enjoy or both.
75% of your time will just be spent studying those three subjects and the rest in the library. More relaxed, but expected to do more work and thinking for yourself. Should be treated less like a child.

Just work consistently and be ready for a big step up.
my sixth form is pretty chill, and a step up from gcses but its difficult
It depends on whether or not you stay at your school's sixth form or got a sixth form college. Generally speaking, sixth form is much more sociable and involves a lot of independent study as it's a lot more detail (but I'm assuming you gathered this already). I'm at my school's sixth form so I don't know what sixth form college is like but it should be pretty similar either way; it's just at school, you obviously still have to wear uniform, formally address your teachers, follow school rules etc (but then again, sixth form colleges would have rules, too). I'd advise you to choose the A-Levels that you're actually prepared to work for, regardless of whether or not they're STEM. If you genuinely enjoy the subject and feel willing to put the work in, take whatever you feel passionate in. It's better to get A*/A at a non-stem subject than a C/D in a STEM subject that you took just for the sake of it being STEM.
Personally I love sixth form much more than secondary school. A lot of the teachers now treat you like an adult and you can actually have a good relationship with them. As long as you get the work done and try hard, Sixth form should treat you well
Reply 11
Original post by Api00
i was in the same boat, i hated gcses but now i love a-levels! I do english lit, sociology, law and geography

Aw that’s relieving!! How’s law and sociology?? Tell me about them :smile:
Sixth Form in a word. Headache
Reply 13
Sixth form is way more relaxing for me, I get way more free time chilling and playing sports or revising and doing homework so you don't have much to do at home. I like it.
sixth form is great, i have one regret, not doing it sooner.
sixth form is pretty full on with assignments to get you ready for uni if you wish to progress to uni. it can be quite pressurised at times.

The teachers are lovely, as well if you have any problems you can talk to them about anything. gpod luck
A levels are a lot of work. Good luck, much preferred GCSEs.
A lot harder!Do 3 a levels,dont do 4!Hopefully will be able to drop year in year 13 and do 3 since my school makes everyone do 4 in year 12 which is silly!Don't become complacent and read up before the lesson and don't put off things if you don't understand and telling yourself you will look into alter because it piles up (this is what happened to me in maths).Do a levels you really love and are interested in or you won't want to do any work for it!You get frees,do work in them,don't watch channel 4 on your phone instead of studying (true story,even though I put this habit to a stop).It's stressful especially when you think of uni and how close you are!Do extra curricular stuff for fun because when you go to year 13 you won't have time so enjoy year 12, I been told (still in year 12).Content is more complex and sometimes hard to grasp,it's a big step up from GCSE especially science and maths,not sure about humanities!Read up on stuff during the summer like a tiny bit like maybe 1 week before school start look into the content so when you arrive you won't be completely puzzled and confused!Also remember it's okay if you don't understand something,there will be days you come out of lessons and have not understood anything.
well I hated GCSE and A-levels are a step up in terms of not being treated like ****, however lots more work, expect at least 20 hours a week of homework, however as long as you do subjects you enjoy rather than subjects you do just because you think they're 'sensible subjects' then its fine. Also depending on your sixth form you will probably still be treated like **** because thats society, hierarchy and capitalism...
F r e e p e r i o d s

You’re not really treated like a child anymore which is nice but it’s still hard work.
I'm an A-Level teacher.
You'll have a lot more time and some people struggle with the lack of structure and freedom. Try not to take advantage because the workload of 3 subjects will soon creep up.

Some people may feel that because they're only doing 3 subjects (in comparison to the 10+ they did at GCSE) that it'll be easier, in fact, it's much harder and you really do need to do independent work.

GCSE is often very spoonfed, be prepared to think and work for yourself, especially in Sociology as it's a new subject and very abstract at times.

Quick Reply

Latest