The Student Room Group

Advice - Access to HE Education - Academic Report HELP?

Hello, Im doing an Access to HE course in Education (I've applied to do primary education at Uni)

I am on Unit 6 of the course which requires that I write an ACADEMIC REPORT. I have designed two lessons and written the plans for them but now I don't understand what they actually want me to write in the report?

I started off by writing about each lesson, how it caters to each ability group and to visual, kinaesthetic and auditory learners, but I don't understand how I will be able to do both sections and analyse and evaluate everything in 1,500.

Once I've taken out the sections such as terms of reference etc, Im left with 750 words to discuss everything.

Can anyone just give me a nudge in the right direction? I'm struggling with this.
Your assignment details sheet should give you the information on what they're looking for. Maybe if you gave us an idea of that we can help you further?
Reply 2
You are required to write an academic report which includes the following two sections.

SECTION ONE Plan and prepare for teaching within the National Curriculum
Analyse the learning needs of an identified group. If you are not currently working in an education setting or do not have teaching experience, then you will need to draw upon your own experiences of being in education.

Design two lessons using a recognised form of lesson planning. These must include the learning outcomes, content, teacher role, resources and assessment methods in relation to the learning needs of the group identified above.

You then need to describe and justify ways that may be used to evaluate the two lessons that you have designed.

SECTION TWO Understand the importance of classroom design
Analyse two patterns of classroom design. You can use those that have been included within your study materials, or research other patterns of classroom design.

Evaluate how the two designs you have analysed above may be used in lesson delivery when working with the group of learners that you discussed in section one.GUIDANCE

Relevant theory must be referenced where appropriate and a references list provided.

You must include the two lesson plans within your submission.

The report should be a maximum of 1,500 words in length.
Reply 3
For the last assignment I had to write a research report about social media being addictive. So I made a title page, a terms of reference, contents page, research methods section, findings, conclusions, appendices, references, and bibliography.
But I'm going on the assumption that an academic report is different from a research report?
We’ve had to do quite a few academic reports. Ours follow the same form as an essay, except subheadings are allowed.
Introduction, main body and conclusion... with various subheadings in the main body depending on what the report is on. I’ve just done one on social policy and so the subheadings were the various policies I’ve discussed.
I have done this, when they say an identified group literally just pick one, autism for example. You then need to point out the pros and cons of the desk plan, I.e cluster desk help children work in groups but an autistic child may find the extra noise over stimulating.
Reply 6
Original post by Meltedmoments
We’ve had to do quite a few academic reports. Ours follow the same form as an essay, except subheadings are allowed.
Introduction, main body and conclusion... with various subheadings in the main body depending on what the report is on. I’ve just done one on social policy and so the subheadings were the various policies I’ve discussed.

That is a massive help, I thought that format would make the most sense but as they only gave guidance in the academic writing module for a research report, I wasn't sure!!
Reply 7
Original post by KanyesVest
I have done this, when they say an identified group literally just pick one, autism for example. You then need to point out the pros and cons of the desk plan, I.e cluster desk help children work in groups but an autistic child may find the extra noise over stimulating.

Enormous help, thank you for your reply! If, for instance I was going to pick autism ( which actually would be sensible as the school I volunteer at has a SEN resource base and therefore I have experience in this field) would I then make the lesson plans with that group in mind? or would I plan a lesson for a generic class with the differentiation for the autistic pupils?

I really appreciate the reply, thank you
I did a generic lesson plan and then wrote down how I would tailor that lesson to the autistic child, high achievers etc. I actually made a resource sheet for the different groups and added it into the appendix. It saves your word count
Reply 9
Original post by KanyesVest
I did a generic lesson plan and then wrote down how I would tailor that lesson to the autistic child, high achievers etc. I actually made a resource sheet for the different groups and added it into the appendix. It saves your word count

Thank you very much, feeling a lot more confident now. That is basically what I've done so you've reassured me enormously!

Did you actually create all the resources for the lessons? I've created resources, but won't attach them if they won't be relevant?
I created my own and attached them in the appendix because I had referred to them in the report. I had a version for each ability, it was probably overkill but I got a Distinction 😁
Reply 11
Smashing, I'll stick them in then! Can't hurt can it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending