The Student Room Group

Brexiteers plot to install dream team at No 10: BoJo, Gove & Rees-Mogg as Chancellor

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexiteers-plot-to-install-dream-team-at-no-10-boris-johnson-michael-gove-and-jacob-rees-mogg-as-chancellor-g6szw0p69

Theresa May will face a coup that would install a “dream team” of “three Brexiteers” if she persists with plans to keep Britain in a *customs union with the European Union, Tory MPs warned last night.
Eurosceptics contacted Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, on Friday and urged him to agree a pact that would see Michael Gove, the environment secretary, become his deputy prime minister and Jacob Rees-Mogg the shop steward of the backbench Brexiteers appointed chancellor if the prime minister is forced out.

While encouraging MPs to “rally round” May, Johnson also told one of the plotters that he would be “ready” for a future contest. He vowed that the “cavalry is coming” to block the customs union plan when May’s Brexit “war cabinet” meets to discuss Britain’s future relations with Brussels this week.

Another cabinet Brexiteer has told MPs that Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, will resign if a customs union is agreed.

In a fresh challenge to May:

Eurosceptics threatened to submit a “tsunami” of letters demanding a vote of no confidence unless May backed down on the customs union, warning they could “take back control” of the government whenever they wanted

Downing Street placed about 10 ministers on “suicide watch” amid fears of a walkout that could cause the government to collapse, with defence minister Tobias Ellwood at the top of the list

Rees-Mogg, in a heated showdown last week with Julian Smith, the chief whip, demanded that May sack her civil service Brexit negotiator Oliver Robbins

Smith told MPs that Philip *Hammond was to blame for Brexit tensions, saying the chancellor has a political “tin ear”

MPs called for a Brexit minister to be permanently stationed in Brussels to keep an eye on officials, with former cabinet minister Iain Duncan Smith touted for the role.

The Brexit “war cabinet” will meet for two hours on both Wednesday and Thursday to agree Britain’s negotiating stance.
Under a plan drawn up by *Robbins, the UK could keep trading goods tariff-free with the EU and negotiate separate trade deals on services with non-EU countries.

Brexiteers, however, want to be able to do free trade deals on goods with the rest of the world as well. Rees-Mogg said: “We do not wish to be in ‘a’ customs union, ‘the’ customs union or ‘an’ customs union.” He accused Treasury officials of “fiddl*ing the figures” on Brexit.
Johnson and Gove will fight the plans for a customs union and Chris Grayling, the transport secretary, has told MPs that Brexiteer ministers will kill off the plan.

May’s team are considering an “away day” during the recess a week later to finalise the government’s position, daring min*is*ters to sign up or “do a Heseltine” and resign on the spot, as Mich*ael *Heseltine did in 1986 when leav*ing Margaret Thatcher’s cabinet.

A leading Eurosceptic said: “The PM needs to understand that we can take back control. If she persists with this customs union plan, we can get rid of her and we have the numbers to ensure that one of us takes over.”

Under the “Three Brexiteers” plan, senior jobs would be found for Priti Patel, the former cabinet minister, and Dominic Raab, the housing minister overlooked for promotion by May in her January reshuffle.
The plotters fear that a failure to pre-agree a plan would lead to a “free for all” in which up to seven Brexiteers would fight it out to take on home secretary Amber Rudd, defence secretary Gavin Williamson and health secretary Jeremy Hunt, the other frontrunners.

Penny Mordaunt, the new international development secretary and Brexiteer, has told colleagues that she has had “leadership training”.
Johnson’s allies believe he would have to win support from non-Eurosceptics to secure the leadership and have encouraged him to make overtures to Rudd, with a view to making her Britain’s first female chancellor.

No 10 is on tenterhooks about a ministerial resignation and is watching Johnson and others with leadership ambitions such as Ellwood, Phillip Lee, Sam Gyimah, Raab and Rory Stewart * as well as Johnson’s brother Jo and his former leadership campaign chief Ben Wallace all of whom have denied that they intend to resign.

Ellwood said he was “donning my suit of armour” to fight “the mother of all battles with the Treasury” for higher defence spending.
Fox did not respond to requests for comment.

A former minister said: “After the election, the matchbox was clearly on sale in the shop. Now someone has bought the matchbox and we are all waiting to see who will strike the match.”
Reply 1
Gove should be PM - definintely time to repalce of spineless May, Hammond and Rudd
Reply 2
As per the article this seems more like angry back benches plotting than a actual campaign by the trio, indeed Gove probably fancies his chances as much now as last time and Mogg probably won't settle for Chancellor.

It does suggest some MP's are trying to form a consensus though which is progress for those who want May gone.
Reply 3
Sounds like chaos in the Tory party, time for yet another general election and let Corbyn in to run the country, who knew!
How are the Tories supposed to run a country and negotiate the biggest deal of all time when they can't even get along in their own party? It is absolutely pathetic and symptomatic of people who have no idea what is going on outside their high walls of privilege. I can't help but feel that to the like of Johnson, Mogg and Gove, this is just an extension of the sort of playground antics they got up to at private school.

Can anyone remember that oh so sincere Boris Johnson having sleepless nights over whether to support leave or remain? It is all pathetic. I wouldn't trust a Tory one inch.
I’d rather have Gove as Pm than Boris. Gove does a decent job in whatever cabinet position he is in. (You May disagree wing his policies, but that’s not the point). I doubt Boris has the support that he thinks he does. I think there is no way he would make it to the final two.
It wouldn’t let me edit my post for some reason.

An Ellwood walkout would not be directly related to Brexit, there have been rumblings about this for some time. Personally I would have made him defence secretary when Fallon went.
Original post by Rakas21
As per the article this seems more like angry back benches plotting than a actual campaign by the trio, indeed Gove probably fancies his chances as much now as last time and Mogg probably won't settle for Chancellor.

It does suggest some MP's are trying to form a consensus though which is progress for those who want May gone.

You don’t think Mogg would settle for Chancellor? He’s always said he think Boris should be PM
I thought Gavin Williams for Sec. for defence? Also, BRING ON THE DREAM TEAM
The mess we are in today with Brexit is because of the two weak and failed leaders of the Conservative party.

David Cameron - For not being able to stand up to the Euro sceptics in the party and not giving a strong enough argument for remain.
Theresa May - What more is there to say, she is weak and is currently being slapped up like Cameron by the Brexiteers. Oh, and I almost forgot she lost her majority by an absolutely meaningless election allowing the Labour party to influence Brexit decisions heavily.
Original post by Davij038
You don’t think Mogg would settle for Chancellor? He’s always said he think Boris should be PM

Mogg is actually a Gove loyalist of the two, hence why he abandoned Boris when Gove knifed him.

Mogg has made many positive statements about many people, its just politiking. More importantly though a lot of MP's view Boris as a waste of space while Mogg has a small number of followers.
Original post by Rakas21
Mogg is actually a Gove loyalist of the two, hence why he abandoned Boris when Gove knifed him.

Mogg has made many positive statements about many people, its just politiking. More importantly though a lot of MP's view Boris as a waste of space while Mogg has a small number of followers.

What I think is sure is that if any of those three get to a final round with Rudd. They will win. It’s just a matter of the MP’s picking which one they want of the three, and like I say earlier. Boris is useless, Mogg is untested which leaves Gove.
Reply 12
Original post by Andrew97
I’d rather have Gove as Pm than Boris. Gove does a decent job in whatever cabinet position he is in. (You May disagree wing his policies, but that’s not the point). I doubt Boris has the support that he thinks he does. I think there is no way he would make it to the final two.

Would you really want a treacherous person like him as PM though?
Whilst I like Gove he’s s rabid NeoCon and is pro mass immigration and is generally pretty liberal/ blairite.
Original post by Rakas21

Original post by Maker
Sounds like chaos in the Tory party, time for yet another general election and let Corbyn in to run the country, who knew!

Although Gove has a direct line to the Times, the Brexiteers have been using the Telegraph to reveal "exclusive stories" that are no more than their own press releases. This appeared in the Times, and overshadowed Jenkin's clearly Brexiteer orchestrated piece for the Telegraph.

It struck me that this was more likely to be something put out by May's supporters to shore up their support.

"We are going to form a dream team of three of the most divisive politicians in the country" only seems attractive to the most navel gazing Brexiteer with no interest in electoral success. If you take any one of those three and replace him with the International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt, one would vastly improve this "dream team". It struck me this collection of men, and I don't think it was accidental that they were all men, essentially appeal to the same small group of supporters.

However, if you want to ensure that the vast mass of mainstream Tory MPs, interested in winning elections, back Theresa May in any vote of no confidence despite their own doubts as to her competence, threatening them with this threesome (who would clearly win any vote of the unrepresentative membership) is the way to do it.
Original post by Andrew97
What I think is sure is that if any of those three get to a final round with Rudd. They will win. It’s just a matter of the MP’s picking which one they want of the three, and like I say earlier. Boris is useless, Mogg is untested which leaves Gove.

That assumes the membership get the vote, that would not be aloud to occur. Among MP's the hard brexit outnumber the soft but the largest group by far are the ambivalent leave and get on with it among MP's. These people probably care about things beyond Brexit.

Original post by Napp
Would you really want a treacherous person like him as PM though?

He's ruthless which is no bad thing. He's also had a more normal upbringing than most is not ideologically extreme. He's also not from London which is a big plus.

Original post by Davij038
Whilst I like Gove he’s s rabid NeoCon and is pro mass immigration and is generally pretty liberal/ blairite.

He's not that liberal but he is pretty pragmatic. Of the Cam-Os-Go trio he was as conservative socially as Cameron (Osbourne was the liberal) but the furthest left economically. He'd build a million social houses for example.
Original post by nulli tertius
Although Gove has a direct line to the Times, the Brexiteers have been using the Telegraph to reveal "exclusive stories" that are no more than their own press releases. This appeared in the Times, and overshadowed Jenkin's clearly Brexiteer orchestrated piece for the Telegraph.

It struck me that this was more likely to be something put out by May's supporters to shore up their support.

"We are going to form a dream team of three of the most divisive politicians in the country" only seems attractive to the most navel gazing Brexiteer with no interest in electoral success. If you take any one of those three and replace him with the International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt, one would vastly improve this "dream team". It struck me this collection of men, and I don't think it was accidental that they were all men, essentially appeal to the same small group of supporters.

However, if you want to ensure that the vast mass of mainstream Tory MPs, interested in winning elections, back Theresa May in any vote of no confidence despite their own doubts as to her competence, threatening them with this threesome (who would clearly win any vote of the unrepresentative membership) is the way to do it.

This centre ground ‘mainstream’politics is dying- hopefully the electorate will have a choice between a radical left wing party and a ‘reactionary’ Conservative party 🎉
Reply 17
None of whats going on in the Tory party now has anything to do with what is happening in the country, we have an NHS in crisis, schools can't get enough teachers, industry confused as to what trading arrangements post brexit and not investing and falling behind the competition and the Tories are having a bun fight over whatever.

You can hardly get a poorer shower of self obsessed public school boys who think what they do means anything to anyone.

Have another general election now and let the grown ups run the country.
Original post by Rakas21

He's not that liberal but he is pretty pragmatic. Of the Cam-Os-Go trio he was as conservative socially as Cameron (Osbourne was the liberal)

That’s still pretty liberal though when compared to say Rees Mogg. I remember him getting triggered by the whole Gay sex is a sin thing with Tim Farron.

but the furthest left economically. He'd build a million social houses for example.

That’s great but ultimately pointless if he pursues mass immigration policies which he has repeatedly indicated he is in favour of.

Gove is fine where he is.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21

He's ruthless which is no bad thing. He's also had a more normal upbringing than most is not ideologically extreme. He's also not from London which is a big plus.

That is not the same as been a judas, no one wants a dishonest bounder and a cad in the top office.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending