The Student Room Group

Israel-Palestine conflict: will there ever be a solution?

I have both Israeli and Palestinian friends; I’ve spoken to both about their views, and it seems that with the majority of people, it’s in black and and white. To me, I feel everything is very grey; it’s extremely difficult for me to say I’ve chosen a “side” when I weigh up the arguments.

The more I learn about the conflict, the less convinced I am that an agreement will ever be made between the two. I can’t ever see Israelis and Palestinians living side by side in peace.

What does TSR think about it? Does anyone here think that a two state solution would ever work? What do you think will eventually happen for the country?
Reply 1
Unless Israel will go back to its original boarders, give the Palestinians real independence [not simply making them a protectorate] and demiliterise its boarders with Lebanon and Syria - then no.
In fairness to the Jews, why would they? They hold as many cards as they're going to get and theyve demonstrated plenty enough they have no problem ethnically cleansing Palestine.
Not in the next 50 years. Within the century, possibly. The middle east is one messed up part of the world, and we're partly to blame. I think things will sort themselves out in there but it will take a while.:redface:
Original post by Bezoar
I have both Israeli and Palestinian friends; I’ve spoken to both about their views, and it seems that with the majority of people, it’s in black and and white. To me, I feel everything is very grey; it’s extremely difficult for me to say I’ve chosen a “side” when I weigh up the arguments.

The more I learn about the conflict, the less convinced I am that an agreement will ever be made between the two. I can’t ever see Israelis and Palestinians living side by side in peace.

What does TSR think about it? Does anyone here think that a two state solution would ever work? What do you think will eventually happen for the country?

Probably not. One because there's nothing of Palestine left. Israel has taken everything, so I don't really see two sides to this.
Put it like this - pretty much nothing is going to shift Israel from where it is. On the other hand, can the PA even be described as a functional state? They're just another dictatorship in the region, but with less resources. Support from neighbours is very flakey of late - with Syria and Iraq in meltdown and the others all more concerned about Iran that Israel.

Israel is no threat to Jordan, Egypt etc. There is no incentive for Israel to do anything against them. Iran, on the other hand has everything to gain.

My prediction (based on not much - but that's the nature of the region) would be that everyone will lose interest in backing the PA and it will slowly dissolve away, leaving chaos and intersectional fighting. Then there will be a free for all, everyone trying to take bits of Gaza - which will end up being the Berlin of the middle east.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bezoar

Unless a War takes place, its highly unlikely for peace to happen.

Israel knows the Islamic countries will f*ck it up if it does any dodgy sh*t - since Jerusalem is inextricably linked with Islam as it is for Christians and Jews.
Original post by Napp
Unless Israel will go back to its original boarders, give the Palestinians real independence [not simply making them a protectorate] and demiliterise its boarders with Lebanon and Syria - then no.
In fairness to the Jews, why would they? They hold as many cards as they're going to get and theyve demonstrated plenty enough they have no problem ethnically cleansing Palestine.

Original post by 04MR17
Not in the next 50 years. Within the century, possibly. The middle east is one messed up part of the world, and we're partly to blame. I think things will sort themselves out in there but it will take a while.:redface:

Original post by GreenBell
Probably not. One because there's nothing of Palestine left. Israel has taken everything, so I don't really see two sides to this.

Original post by Trinculo
Put it like this - pretty much nothing is going to shift Israel from where it is. On the other hand, can the PA even be described as a functional state? They're just another dictatorship in the region, but with less resources. Support from neighbours is very flakey of late - with Syria and Iraq in meltdown and the others all more concerned about Iran that Israel.

Israel is no threat to Jordan, Egypt etc. There is no incentive for Israel to do anything against them. Iran, on the other hand has everything to gain.

My prediction (based on not much - but that's the nature of the region) would be that everyone will lose interest in backing the PA and it will slowly dissolve away, leaving chaos and intersectional fighting. Then there will be a free for all, everyone trying to take bits of Gaza - which will end up being the Berlin of the middle east.

Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Unless a War takes place, its highly unlikely for peace to happen.

Israel knows the Islamic countries will f*ck it up if it does any dodgy sh*t - since Jerusalem is inextricably linked with Islam as it is for Christians and Jews.

It's really sad how much animosity there is between them here in the UK; I've noticed the ISOC lot at my uni are extremely anti-israel and promote the BDS movement on campus... I've known people in uni who have refused to give lifts to others on the basis that they're israeli! If I were born in israel, naturally I would be supportive of the country; and likewise if I were Palestinian I would feel the same about Palestine too. It seems to be more of a cultural/ religious thing - it's almost taboo for a muslim to say to their peers that they are pro-israel, or even indifferent. I have an arab backround and I feel like people make assumptions about me, based on my name, about my opinions on the conflict. If I ever mention the slightest hint that I understand and sympathise with Israel's side of things, as well as palestine, I'm met with looks of shock.

I guess in a utopian world they'd merge to make one country and live side by side, but the conflict is so ingrained into the people's upbringing that such a solution would never be feasible. To me, growing up in the UK which is very multicultural, it seems strange that the arab and israeli communities don't like to mix with one another. I wonder if there would be a way to create some relationship between the people of palestine and israel and slowly reduce the hostility between the two?
Reply 7
Original post by Bezoar
It's really sad how much animosity there is between them here in the UK; I've noticed the ISOC lot at my uni are extremely anti-israel and promote the BDS movement on campus... I've known people in uni who have refused to give lifts to others on the basis that they're israeli! If I were born in israel, naturally I would be supportive of the country; and likewise if I were Palestinian I would feel the same about Palestine too. It seems to be more of a cultural/ religious thing - it's almost taboo for a muslim to say to their peers that they are pro-israel, or even indifferent. I have an arab backround and I feel like people make assumptions about me, based on my name, about my opinions on the conflict. If I ever mention the slightest hint that I understand and sympathise with Israel's side of things, as well as palestine, I'm met with looks of shock.

I guess in a utopian world they'd merge to make one country and live side by side, but the conflict is so ingrained into the people's upbringing that such a solution would never be feasible. To me, growing up in the UK which is very multicultural, it seems strange that the arab and israeli communities don't like to mix with one another. I wonder if there would be a way to create some relationship between the people of palestine and israel and slowly reduce the hostility between the two?

Its worth bearing in mind here that in the coming months another ISraeli war is almost certain to break out again now. The rhetoric coming out of Tel-Aviv, Ramallah, Gaza city and Beirut is all doing nothing but beating the drums of war and this one is forcast to be the most bloody yet, especially on the Lebanese side.
I stand by i'm afraid i see no posibility of peace in the short, mid or long term unless the israelis curtail their imperialism. Even now they talk of ethnically cleansing the rest of the west bank [See Leiberman] for the continuation of salami annexation.
Not until USA cuts ties with Israel. I've no respect for Obama. He handed Israel millions in his 2nd term!

Well I do respect him. but I lost some respect.
Original post by Bezoar

I’m not really sure to be honest. I understand what you’re saying, but as a Muslim I don’t really have any problems towards people from Israel or Jews. The only thing I don’t agree with is the Israeli government. But like you said those two groups are always clashing against each other and it’s probably deep rooted.
Original post by Bezoar

Well, Muslim and Christian Arabs live and work quite happily in Israel. Some of them even become police officers or join the IDF. Arabs can be full Israeli citizens and vote. That's as close to living peacefully as you can get. You don't get Jews living in the PA, though.
Reply 11
Well, Muslim and Christian Arabs live and work quite happily in Israel. Some of them even become police officers or join the IDF. Arabs can be full Israeli citizens and vote. That's as close to living peacefully as you can get. You don't get Jews living in the PA, though.

A great number of arabs have absolutely no rights in Israel - to say they're treated equally is a grotesque distortion of the truth. Many live there by the 'good grace' of Israel on a kind of permit which prohibits them from seeking attention at hospitals, voting etc.

There are some Jews living in Palestine. It is a common misconception that all Palestinians are ipso facto anti semites [despite them all being semites] there is a vast difference between their hatred for Israel and a hatred for Jews.
Not until Israel gives back the land they stole.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Not until Israel gives back the land they stole.

If you go to war with someone and get beat, take your punishment and stfu about it. All these btich nations like the Arabs and Argentina are all the same. They want to go to war with no consequences.

Iran and Iraq have disputed land borders that are probably many times the size of Golan or West Bank - but there are no Jews to blame, so no one cares. There are territorial disputes in every part of the world, probably dozens a stone's throw from Israel - but no one cares about them or bothers to make UN resolutions about them because it's not cool or trendy to do so.

Pretty much the whole of the non-Russia USSR was seized in a far more violent and oppressive manner- the same people who protest against Israel supported the USSR tooth and nail. Post-war, would you consider South Vietnam to have been "stolen" by the North? No, because it was a war and it's trendy to be anti-American.

Be real - the only reason anyone cares about the Palestinians is because Israel is involved and no one has anything better to do. Most of the nations around have lost interest due to more pressing issues with Iran and Syria, so it's only the anti-American/anti-Israel lobby here that moans.
(edited 6 years ago)
You don't get Jews living in the PA, though.

Israeli Jews are banned under Israeli law from entering PA-controlled areas.

That said, it's not a heavily enforced law, and there are indeed a handful of non-settler Jews who live in Palestinian communities in the West Bank, mostly artists, activists and journalists. The Haaretz journalist Amira Hass, who's lived in Ramallah for over 20 years (and before that, she lived in Gaza for a few years), is probably the most well-known. But there are others - including, in the past, the late Ilan Halevi, who actually served in the Palestinian government as Deputy Foreign Minister.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending