The Student Room Group

Entry requirements for dental hygiene

Hi everyone,

I’m a fully qualified dental nurse with 4 years experience, three A levels (ABC grades), currently studying A Level Biology with a view to apply for a Dental Hygiene course to start in September 2019. Once I have my Biology A Level, I’ll have the requirements needed to get onto the course at all universities in the UK.

I am aware that there are very limited places at all universities, and that it’s highly competitive. I know that there’s a chance that I may not get in first time. However, my practice manager just told me I should consider doing other courses if I want to stand a chance of being accepted (like oral health education), she doesn’t seem to think dental nursing will be enough, and it’s made me feel awful.

Any dental hygiene students, which qualifications do you have that lead to your acceptance on the course.

Thanks a lot!
Original post by Sophie5993
Hi everyone,

I’m a fully qualified dental nurse with 4 years experience, three A levels (ABC grades), currently studying A Level Biology with a view to apply for a Dental Hygiene course to start in September 2019. Once I have my Biology A Level, I’ll have the requirements needed to get onto the course at all universities in the UK.

I am aware that there are very limited places at all universities, and that it’s highly competitive. I know that there’s a chance that I may not get in first time. However, my practice manager just told me I should consider doing other courses if I want to stand a chance of being accepted (like oral health education), she doesn’t seem to think dental nursing will be enough, and it’s made me feel awful.

Any dental hygiene students, which qualifications do you have that lead to your acceptance on the course.

Thanks a lot!

You have experience in the field and the required grades so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Most people will apply straight from school and get in with just these two things.
Original post by Sophie5993
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!

I wouldn't worry atall you have the entry requirements! As stated in the previous reply people get in straight from school without any dental experience! If you want to do some extra courses I would say do Oral Health Education, Radiography or impression taking as all of these are part of the hygiene course :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest