The Student Room Group

If anyone enjoys giving relationship advice; here you go

Been with a girl now for just over 2 months.

She's one of the sweetest, kind-hearted girls I've ever been with. I see her fairly often (enough). She's very into me.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think i'm too into her. I find her fairly attractive physically. She gives me everything I could want from a relationship I just don't think that she is the one.

When going on nights out recently - starting to get a bit more attention from girls I find my mind wandering a bit; obviously never acting on these things but nevertheless, isn't the fact my mind is wandering meaning i'm not happy currently.

The only thing is, when I think of day to day life without her it sort of upsets me. But if she's not the one for me which I don't think she is - is it not cruel to lead her on because she's quite into me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joshyouare

She's one of the sweetest, kind-hearted girls I've ever been with. I see her fairly often (enough). She's very into me.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think i'm too into her. I find her fairly attractive physically. She gives me everything I could want from a relationship I just don't think that she is the one.

When going on nights out recently - starting to get a bit more attention from girls I find my mind wandering a bit; obviously never acting on these things but nevertheless, isn't the fact my mind is wandering meaning i'm not happy currently.

The only thing is, when I think of day to day life without her it sort of upsets me. But if she's not the one for me which I don't think she is - is it not cruel to lead her on because she's quite into me?

You need to talk to her.
Reply 2
Maybe give it some time? I would refrain from assigning any boyfriend/girlfriend label at this point as it would be unfair if you don't really mean it.

If she's not relationship material for you then it might be best to stay as friends. Definitely don't lead her on though.
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
Maybe give it some time? I would refrain from assigning any boyfriend/girlfriend label at this point as it would be unfair if you don't really mean it.

If she's not relationship material for you then it might be best to stay as friends. Definitely don't lead her on though.

Would it not be hurting her more to go back to "friends". Maybe taking a break is a decent idea?
Reply 4
Would it not be hurting her more to go back to "friends". Maybe taking a break is a decent idea?

I think "taking a break" is a coward move in my opinion. It just means "I'm too afraid to officially break up with you but I want to sleep with/date other people".

Either you fully break it off or you find a way to repair the relationship.
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
I think "taking a break" is a coward move in my opinion. It just means "I'm too afraid to officially break up with you but I want to sleep with/date other people".

Either you fully break it off or you find a way to repair the relationship.

Yeah, I'm not that type of person but I can see how it would come across as that. Talking to her seems like the best move.
I remember feeling like this at the start of my current relationship - I actually went on holiday around the time and the 'distance', i/e less talking, made me realise I actually cared for him alot and the cold feet were just early relationship nerves. We're now into our 5th year. together..I would continue with it until you're 100% sure. I think 'the one' is a myth, you live and you grow with people. Good luck x
Yeah just talk to her about it. A relationship takes 2 people, she needs to have a say in the decisions too once she knows how you feel
so you're attracted to her, have feelings for her and she treats you well but you feel like shes not the one because you'd rather spend your time sleeping around basically?

ever heard the expression never look a gift horse in the mouth. you won't be getting attention forever and you won't be getting a good offer like this again possibly

question what happens if you break it off with her and never find another woman like her, they don't all treat their men well you know, no matter how much they seem into you.
Reply 9

I think you should end it with her because I feel like you're going to end up hurting her in the long term.
Original post by abiselina
I remember feeling like this at the start of my current relationship - I actually went on holiday around the time and the 'distance', i/e less talking, made me realise I actually cared for him alot and the cold feet were just early relationship nerves. We're now into our 5th year. together..I would continue with it until you're 100% sure. I think 'the one' is a myth, you live and you grow with people. Good luck x

How did you feel before you went on holiday if you don't mind me asking? If you remember that is haha
Original post by yungaheartz
so you're attracted to her, have feelings for her and she treats you well but you feel like shes not the one because you'd rather spend your time sleeping around basically?

ever heard the expression never look a gift horse in the mouth. you won't be getting attention forever and you won't be getting a good offer like this again possibly

question what happens if you break it off with her and never find another woman like her, they don't all treat their men well you know, no matter how much they seem into you.

Yeah exactly, got to be truthful with myself a bit though - as you put it, that is sort of how it is - only young though.
I know you don’t want to hurt her, but keeping up the relationship when you’re not fully invested will cause more harm in the long run.

Break ups are tough, but it’s better for both of you to go your own way and find people who are better suited than to continue with the relationship to save each others feelings. Like you said, it is a bit cruel to lead her on. Her feelings could be getting stronger while yours fade, it’s not fair on either of you to keep going.
Yeah exactly, got to be truthful with myself a bit though - as you put it, that is sort of how it is - only young though.

alright, so if you want to bury the dog a little then thats what you need to do. but accept the fact you'll probably never have it this good again. you won't be the first guy to walk away from a perfect girl and live to regret it when older and you certainly won't be the last.
Original post by cat_mac
I know you don’t want to hurt her, but keeping up the relationship when you’re not fully invested will cause more harm in the long run.

Break ups are tough, but it’s better for both of you to go your own way and find people who are better suited than to continue with the relationship to save each others feelings. Like you said, it is a bit cruel to lead her on. Her feelings could be getting stronger while yours fade, it’s not fair on either of you to keep going.

Indeed, she's lovely but I just don't feel the same way - and I don't want to hurt her even slightly; not my intentions.
Original post by yungaheartz
alright, so if you want to bury the dog a little then thats what you need to do. but accept the fact you'll probably never have it this good again. you won't be the first guy to walk away from a perfect girl and live to regret it when older and you certainly won't be the last.

I agree with everything you're saying.
How did you feel before you went on holiday if you don't mind me asking? If you remember that is haha

Haha I do remember, feel awful for saying it but I remember feeling anxious when I'd go to meet him just because I wasn't sure how I was going to feel. Little things would 'turn me off', habits i'd not noticed before. I think sometimes people call it the 'ick'. It soon went away though.
Haha I do remember, feel awful for saying it but I remember feeling anxious when I'd go to meet him just because I wasn't sure how I was going to feel. Little things would 'turn me off', habits i'd not noticed before. I think sometimes people call it the 'ick'. It soon went away though.

Not a big fan of the term "butterflies" but did you ever get them before the holiday? I don't think i've felt that way yet about this girl that i'm talking about.
Not a big fan of the term "butterflies" but did you ever get them before the holiday? I don't think i've felt that way yet about this girl that i'm talking about.

Ah yeh I did get butterflies before and after being away. Im gonna drop in though that I was very young, 17. We are still together now so Ive not been this this situation for ages but I'm not sure if I would get butterflies if I were to start a new relationship at 21/22? I think the older you get the less you get that giddy feeling? But I honestly have no idea as it's been awhile for me haha.
Ah yeh I did get butterflies before and after being away. Im gonna drop in though that I was very young, 17. We are still together now so Ive not been this this situation for ages but I'm not sure if I would get butterflies if I were to start a new relationship at 21/22? I think the older you get the less you get that giddy feeling? But I honestly have no idea as it's been awhile for me haha.

Just about to turn 18 now. Yeah, I think "butterflies" is definitely an excitement thing haha. But same goes in that I think you know when you love someone or could love someone and I don't think so in my case unfortunately. I'm glad yours has worked out though; really haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending