The Student Room Group

Realistic Chances of Training Contract?

Hi, I am in my second year of a law degree at a top RG university.

My first year grades were pretty poor; one first 1-2 2:1s and the rest 2:2s and this ended up with an average of 59.5% for my first year (2:2).

I am now going to be applying for TCs in the summer and I think I will get a 2:1 this semester. If I can somehow secure a 2:1 this year and get a first overall in my entire degree how good of a chance do I have at securing a good TC? My year 2 is 25% and year 3 is 75%.

What firms can I realistically apply to this summer? How much do first year grades matter if I can show that I have gotten the higher grades when it matters?

The firms I aspire to work for are Baker and Mckenzie, Skadden, White & Case, Clifford Chance etc but tbh I do not think these are realistic anymore due to my first year grades?

What firms are more realistic?

Scroll to see replies

Which modules were the 2:2s in? If it was something like contract or tort law that may somewhat hinder your chances for those type of firms.
Original post by AspiringLawyr
Hi, I am in my second year of a law degree at a top RG university.

My first year grades were pretty poor; one first 1-2 2:1s and the rest 2:2s and this ended up with an average of 59.5% for my first year (2:2).

I am now going to be applying for TCs in the summer and I think I will get a 2:1 this semester. If I can somehow secure a 2:1 this year and get a first overall in my entire degree how good of a chance do I have at securing a good TC? My year 2 is 25% and year 3 is 75%.

What firms can I realistically apply to this summer? How much do first year grades matter if I can show that I have gotten the higher grades when it matters?

The firms I aspire to work for are Baker and Mckenzie, Skadden, White & Case, Clifford Chance etc but tbh I do not think these are realistic anymore due to my first year grades?

What firms are more realistic?

I think you'll be ok. It's a hurdle - for some firms more than others, but I wouldn’t discount yourself yet. Just be prepared to explain at interview.
hahaha should have thought about it more in first year
Original post by Perseverance
I think you'll be ok. It's a hurdle - for some firms more than others, but I wouldn’t discount yourself yet. Just be prepared to explain at interview.

Yeah, unfortunately I got sucked into the "first year does not count" and relaxed and eased up far too much! Im hoping I can get mostly 2:1s and firsts this year. Will it help if I get a 1st overall in my degree? Shows improvement etc?

Original post by J-SP
It really depends on your strength in other areas. If you have a standout application elsewhere this all becomes less of an issue. If the rest of your form is fairly standard, then this is more of an issue.

I don’t think there is any harm in applying to most of not all of these firms in the summer if you get a strong and consistent 2.1 in your second year modules. Don’t be too disheartened if it isn’t a successful season, you can always apply in your final year or after graduating.

Do you have any tips on how to be a more standout applicant besides academics? I have work experience albeit not in the commercial sector. I did apply to a few vacation schemes which I am yet to hear back from.

I am just hoping I can achieve a first in my overall degree and if not this year then get a 2021 TC.
I did not even bother applying as they would have laughed at my application.

Yeah, honestly there are people in first year asking for help with applications etc its crazy. This is definitely a bad thing for us if we dont get TCs this year then this is the competition next season and its looking even more competitive, who could have thought. :tongue:
Youre applying already? I assume for TCs? Is it not early?
Yeah, unfortunately I got sucked into the "first year does not count" and relaxed and eased up far too much! Im hoping I can get mostly 2:1s and firsts this year. Will it help if I get a 1st overall in my degree? Shows improvement etc?

If you get a first you'll be among the top line of candidates grades-wise. Most students have a 2:1. Grades are just one part of the picture though, so as long as they're not a bottleneck it doesn't matter too much.
If you get a first you'll be among the top line of candidates grades-wise. Most students have a 2:1. Grades are just one part of the picture though, so as long as they're not a bottleneck it doesn't matter too much.

Do you have any advice on how to make my application stand out?
Do you have any advice on how to make my application stand out?

Write well: keep it simple, concise and relevant.

Demonstrate a genuine interest in commercial law, try to steer away from cliché.

Understand the firm you’re applying for, make it clear that this could never be a copy/paste application tailor it.

Bring out your experiences, use a structure and sell yourself even if you don’t think it’s an impressive extra-curricular, you can make it into.

Avoid common pitfalls like listing your qualities, typos or overusing meaningless words like ‘passionate’.

So youre in your second year too? Yeah I feel as though I will have to take a year out to even stand a chance at securing a decent TC. Not ideal considering I had a gap year already.
To be honest im contemplating a year abroad, same as a gap year but you`re still in the "uni profile". Although I would admit if after one/two seasons of apps I didnt get into a top tier firm then next season I would be more keen on targeting regional firms instead of waiting. Although I see what you are saying about prospects and definitely salary, but idk if the risk of waiting for a good offer whilst declining others is one which many would take. Although this is assuming city firms give me an offer which is actually getting more and more competitive anyway.
Original post by J-SP
A good applicant typically has the vast majority of the following:

Some work experience - if it isn’t an office environment job, then part-time work or volunteering will help. Basically you need to show you have worked outside of academia in some capacity and that you haven’t just sat back and only done the things you like doing.

Extra curriculars - what this really means is showing evidence of committing to something, potentially working in team or with others, being determined to have some form of success/achievement from them, and that you keep yourself busy.

Signs of doing well academically - dodgy grades can be looked past if you have subsequently gone on to do well, and especially if there is other evidence of strong academics (A-levels etc).

Evidence of pursuing the career - whether it’s attending events, work experience, open days - basically any activity that shows you have decided to pursue the career or at least find out more about it.

The non negotiables are though:

A well written application
Clear motivation for the firm and the career
Some level of genuine interest in the matters that the firm works on

Write well: keep it simple, concise and relevant.

Demonstrate a genuine interest in commercial law, try to steer away from cliché.

Understand the firm you’re applying for, make it clear that this could never be a copy/paste application tailor it.

Bring out your experiences, use a structure and sell yourself even if you don’t think it’s an impressive extra-curricular, you can make it into.

Avoid common pitfalls like listing your qualities, typos or overusing meaningless words like ‘passionate’.

Many thanks JSP and P! The advice is great and I wil definitely take it on board. Appreciate it.
My personal tutor said the same thing, how most second years only apply to chance their luck and know they can re-apply but most accept whatever is on the plate without second thought.

Would you (if in the situation) accept a TC from a high street firm or chance your luck for the 2/3rd time at bigger firms?
I think it's very personal. The first time, a number of people said it was a terrible decision to make; the second time, even more. And they could well have been right.

It depends on a lot of factors: what you stand to lose, how much you like the firm that gave you a TC offer, how much faith you have in yourself, how hard you're willing to work next round, how well you understand what makes a better applicant, and your ability to overcome those.

These factors have different weightings too. Often, we favour easier decisions now to the detriment of our future selves. For example, accepting a firm that you aren't happy with now may make life easier in year 3 of university. But, you'll be stuck with that choice for many more years.

Getting a TC is very competitive and the leverage law firms have over students - including targeting them so early - makes this very difficult. Many students get a string a rejections and that shoots down their self confidence - most haven't dealt with that kind of rejection by that point (unless they've been through a break-up :tongue:). They then get one TC offer and many accept because they think it's their only option.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending