The Student Room Group

choosing which uni

im in the midst of choosing a university. i applied for ucas and got accepted to nottingham trent, brunel university london and coventry for a degree in civil engineering. but im not sure which to choose due to mixed reviews i read online. help a girl out? im interested in a uni that has a good reputation/relationship in the industry (uni placements etc)
Original post by farfaraway04
im in the midst of choosing a university. i applied for ucas and got accepted to nottingham trent, brunel university london and coventry for a degree in civil engineering. but im not sure which to choose due to mixed reviews i read online. help a girl out? im interested in a uni that has a good reputation/relationship in the industry (uni placements etc)

Hi @farfarawa04

Massive congratulations on your offers!

What made you want to apply to the universities you have? Have you been to see any of them at an open day? - I found that an open day really helped me get a feel for the university and it also helps in putting reputation etc a side for a minute as you can invisage whether you'd like to spend the next 3/4 years in that city.

NTU has some great links with industry and encourages all of its students to go out and get invaluable workplace experience. Recent destinations for placement students have included:

. Balfour Beatty
. Canal and River Trust
. Arcadis
. Jackson Civil Engineering
. J N Bentley
. North Midland Construction
. The Ringway Group
. VolkerFitzpatrick.

The Civil engineering course is one of our strongest in terms of employability - 100% of our BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering sandwich students are in a professional or managerial job, just six months after graduating, earning an average salary of £24,900 (DLHE, 2015-2016).

Our employability team are in place to help you secure a placement, they are on hand to help make your CV as good as it can be, help with writing cover letters as well as workshops for interview techniques and assessment centres.

There is of course more to uni life than just studying, Nottingham is a really vibrant fun place to live with plenty going on. With over 60,000 students in Nottingham, the city really does have a great buzz about the place :smile:

Hope that helps! Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Chris
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi @farfarawa04

Massive congratulations on your offers!

What made you want to apply to the universities you have? Have you been to see any of them at an open day? - I found that an open day really helped me get a feel for the university and it also helps in putting reputation etc a side for a minute as you can invisage whether you'd like to spend the next 3/4 years in that city.

NTU has some great links with industry and encourages all of its students to go out and get invaluable workplace experience. Recent destinations for placement students have included:

. Balfour Beatty
. Canal and River Trust
. Arcadis
. Jackson Civil Engineering
. J N Bentley
. North Midland Construction
. The Ringway Group
. VolkerFitzpatrick.

The Civil engineering course is one of our strongest in terms of employability - 100% of our BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering sandwich students are in a professional or managerial job, just six months after graduating, earning an average salary of £24,900 (DLHE, 2015-2016).

Our employability team are in place to help you secure a placement, they are on hand to help make your CV as good as it can be, help with writing cover letters as well as workshops for interview techniques and assessment centres.

There is of course more to uni life than just studying, Nottingham is a really vibrant fun place to live with plenty going on. With over 60,000 students in Nottingham, the city really does have a great buzz about the place :smile:

Hope that helps! Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Chris

thanks for the info. may i know the universities' style of teaching the course?
Original post by farfaraway04
thanks for the info. may i know the universities' style of teaching the course?

Hi Farfaraway

In Year One approximately 40% of your time is spent in scheduled learning sessions, and in Year Two approximately 35%. This includes lectures, seminars and tutorials; laboratory practical exercises, such as making and testing concrete, assessing structural forms and testing beams; fieldwork, like site visits, trips and practical exercises; and IT sessions, including computer-aided design (CAD)

Hope that helps?

Chris :smile:
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi Farfaraway

In Year One approximately 40% of your time is spent in scheduled learning sessions, and in Year Two approximately 35%. This includes lectures, seminars and tutorials; laboratory practical exercises, such as making and testing concrete, assessing structural forms and testing beams; fieldwork, like site visits, trips and practical exercises; and IT sessions, including computer-aided design (CAD)

Hope that helps?

Chris :smile:

Thanks for the info Chris!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending