The Student Room Group

Why do you dislike immigration?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stewpid
Not forgetting Walsall, Oldbury, Smethwick Leicester and Rotherham.

Oh, Luton and parts of Glascow too! Isn't diversity just great (If you ignore all statistics and reason, that is)
Original post by Know Your Enemy
I've no problem with them. I have friends who are immigrants. I just think we should control the borders and limit the amount of them coming in.

Tbh I'm probably gonna have a lot of disagreements for that last bit.

I agree.
Multiculturalism doesn't work and doesn't benefit society. Increased pressure on public resources such as the NHS when we have low skilled and low earning immigrants coming to Britain, not giving back more than they're taking. High skilled immigration is a must, low skilled is a bust.
Pretty ironic that one of the main reasons against immigration as that immigrants 'encroach' on British values, when in fact some of the most British traits aren't even British. Tea - Chinese, fish and chips - actually brought over by Jews from Spain. And one of Britain's favourite dish? Chicken tikka masala.

And as for those areas 'tainted' by large numbers of immigrants, the only way they could've moved into those areas is if "native" British people moved out. You can't blame lack of integration only on people coming in.

12% of the NHS isn't British, but I'm sure that won't matter to your anti-immigrant self in an emergency when you need to be treated. I mean, it's totally fair to hold these views, seeing as after Britain colonised half the world, taking over land that wasn't theirs and dividing peopld against each other, it left those countries without crippling socio-economic issues? Right..
Reply 124
Original post by That'sGreat
Multiculturalism doesn't work and doesn't benefit society. Increased pressure on public resources such as the NHS when we have low skilled and low earning immigrants coming to Britain, not giving back more than they're taking. High skilled immigration is a must, low skilled is a bust.

You know on average migrants contribute more than they take right?
Original post by That'sGreat

If high skilled immigration is a must, why is multiculturalism bad?
Ok

You make a point about tea and food to say multi culturalism is good for Britain is something else- when you import a culture in high numbers you get the worst aspects from the culture you imported for example Pakistanis rape culture was fully integrated into Rochdale and Roverham

12% of the NHS may be foreign but 13% of the British population are foreign so foreigners are still under represented.

What we need is high skilled immigration in lower numbers this way we are not integrating the worst aspects of there culture into our society as we are limiting immigration I would rather have immigration of 30-50,000 and high skilled migration then 250,000+ where they are mainly low skilled
Original post by anisah_s
Pretty ironic that one of the main reasons against immigration as that immigrants 'encroach' on British values, when in fact some of the most British traits aren't even British. Tea - Chinese, fish and chips - actually brought over by Jews from Spain. And one of Britain's favourite dish? Chicken tikka masala.

And as for those areas 'tainted' by large numbers of immigrants, the only way they could've moved into those areas is if "native" British people moved out. You can't blame lack of integration only on people coming in.

12% of the NHS isn't British, but I'm sure that won't matter to your anti-immigrant self in an emergency when you need to be treated. I mean, it's totally fair to hold these views, seeing as after Britain colonised half the world, taking over land that wasn't theirs and dividing peopld against each other, it left those countries without crippling socio-economic issues? Right..
Original post by Andrew97
There’s a difference between being against immigration, and being against uncontrolled/unlimited immigration.

Thank god someone pointed this out! I was expecting a lot of disagreements from my reply but I'm pleasantly surprised that people have the same views. I'm all for immigration as long it's controlled.
Do people not realise how selfish only wanting high-skilled immigration is?

If it were up to you you'd go to a country, invite all it's Drs and engineers over, then come on here and make a thread about how the western world is progressing much faster and it must be because the third world is full of idiots.

If you ever start to feel like humanity might actually be making progress, TSR never fails to remind you how many *******s there still are in the world...

Tbh if it were up to me high skilled people should be incentivised to stay in their own country, and then we can invite low skilled people over to hopefully educate.
The fact we have problems within our own country - the nhs, homeless people on the streets, old people left to social isolation - many more problems, yet we can still manage to fund these people in our own country.

We should sort the problems out before we even think about letting anyone in.
Original post by jbrdodd
The fact we have problems within our own country - the nhs, homeless people on the streets, old people left to social isolation - many more problems, yet we can still manage to fund these people in our own country.

We should sort the problems out before we even think about letting anyone in.

And what if we are "letting people in" who can (and do) help us sort out those problems?
Original post by Doonesbury
And what if we are "letting people in" who can (and do) help us sort out those problems?

Majority don’t help though. It’s not a high amount who are helping our problems
Original post by Napp
You know on average migrants contribute more than they take right? Sorry to burst your racist bubble champ.

Your saying all migrants contribute more than they take that not true migrants from countries which we have tough immigration rules contribute the most. Any person over the age of 25 who earn less than £25000 is a drain British born or from aboard unless they work in healthcare or teaching.

My vet Kenyan at university around half of science lectures are America or South Africa. All from countries which the Home Offices have tough immigration rules.

A person from aboard who work as part time cleaner does not give as much to society as teacher for aboard.
Original post by Dheorl

If it were up to you you'd go to a country, invite all it's Drs and engineers over, then come on here and make a thread about how the western world is progressing much faster and it must be because the third world is full of idiots.

If you ever start to feel like humanity might actually be making progress, TSR never fails to remind you how many *******s there still are in the world...

Tbh if it were up to me high skilled people should be incentivised to stay in their own country, and then we can invite low skilled people over to hopefully educate.

You propose replacing mass unskilled immigration by inviting unskilled immigrants. We already have this type of immigration. So you want no changes unlike the majority of the nation
Original post by Stewpid
You propose replacing mass unskilled immigration by inviting unskilled immigrants. We already have this type of immigration. So you want no changes unlike the majority of the nation

I propose that it is more structured and that they don't have to pay lubricous foreign student fees for our universities if they agree to return home.

I'm merely saying that the suggestion many have of just poaching skilled workers is clearly not sustainable on a global level.
Original post by jbrdodd
Majority don’t help though. It’s not a high amount who are helping our problems

Original post by looloo2134
Your saying all migrants contribute more than they take

It seems you both need to read up about what "on average" means.
Reply 136
Original post by tylerthegoat
be racist all you like but the economics does not support your argument. Immigration has contributed positively to our fiscal balance and has also brought in money inflows and their spending also helps the economy.

Why/ what has anything to do with what he said racist?
High skilled people from Britain go abroad too I know Doctors, nurses, engineers who have move aboard mostly to America, UAE, Canada and Australia. They went to those countries because there are better pay and working life.

Highly skilled people from developing countries can only work in there own country and not move aboard to get pay and work life like highly skilled British people.
Original post by Dheorl

Reply 138
Original post by looloo2134
Your saying all migrants contribute more than they take that not true migrants from countries which we have tough immigration rules contribute the most. Any person over the age of 25 who earn less than £25000 is a drain British born or from aboard unless they work in healthcare or teaching.

My vet Kenyan at university around half of science lectures are America or South Africa. All from countries which the Home Offices have tough immigration rules.

A person from aboard who work as part time cleaner does not give as much to society as teacher for aboard.

I said on average.
No of course not - unlessyou want the rubbish to pile up in the streets, the hospitals to become cesspits and so on :rolleyes: Arguably they contribute far more to society than many others.
Original post by Doonesbury
It seems you both need to read up about what "on average" means.

I think you should go on Home Office website and look at every country that people migrate to Britain from you find that every country has different employment rates education levels on average. I don't care about average for all migrates I only want employable migrates who add to the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending