The Student Room Group

Can gay and straight men be friends?

I'm in 2 worlds over this. Personally, I cannot imagine having a true friendship with a straight guy, although I do know that other ones have worked. The "bromance" between Courtney Act and Andrew Brady on the recent CBB series has triggered this question.

Can anyone give me some input?

Scroll to see replies

Can a man and a woman be friends?
Reply 2
Original post by Joe2001
I'm in 2 worlds over this. Personally, I cannot imagine having a true friendship with a straight guy, although I do know that other ones have worked. The "bromance" between Courtney Act and Andrew Brady on the recent CBB series has triggered this question.

Why can't you imagine it? Do you always end up creating sexual tension with your male friends?

As a bi man I've found I can have purely platonic friendships with both genders. If you're having a problem with that, you're probably just too horny at the moment to not think of all the men you know as potential partners.
Reply 3
Yes. Unless you’re attracted to every man on the planet and can’t be within 10ft of one without acting like a dog in heat.

If we go by the “you can’t be friends with the gender you’re attracted to” me and my fellow Bi folk would have no friendships.
Reply 4
No, you can't be friends with the gender you are attracted to. It is a fact of nature.
yes. i am currently watching the French movie "Stranger by the Lake". the young gay central character likes to chat with a straight chap by the lake before heading off for rumpy-pumpy in the bushes.
Original post by Joe2001

Yes, of course. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they like every male in that way.
Original post by Joe2001

Sounds like you need to meet more straight guys, who are capable of reciprocating true friendship. They do exist.
if the straight guy is ugly then yeah
My best friend is gay, I’ve known him for 6 years and sexuality has never affected our friendship in any way.
I'm straight and am friends with curved guys.
I should explain a bit further on this then. I personally don't feel that straight guys and gay guys would have much in common, nor do I personally feel comfortable being friends with straight guys, especially the "lads". They are the worst of all and I can 90% guarantee that they would feel uncomfortable befriending a gay guy.

I don't really have much friends - my main aim is to make a lot of gay friends when I get to uni. Also, FWIW, of the people I am friendly with, there is only one whom I am attracted to.
Not much different to a male and female being friends. In fact, it's even easier, because with a male-female friendship there's always the chance of attraction on both sides getting in the way - this isn't going to happen with a straight male-gay male friendship.
Reply 13
Yes.
One of my closet friends is gay. You become friends with people that you have things in common with and share a laugh with, it doesn't matter what gender they are
Reply 15
One of my closest mates is gay and it has never been an issue whatsoever.
Original post by scottsmith
One of my closet friends is gay. You become friends with people that you have things in common with and share a laugh with, it doesn't matter what gender they are

I suppose that in my 16 years, I have never truly had this. But, this topic does make me curious.
Are there any gay guys out there who can explain their friendships with straight guys?
Sorry if I am asking too many questions, but I don't have an LGBT figure in my life so I end up asking such questions on forums.
I am going to guess that you had friends before you came out gay, why not just stay with the same group of friends
Original post by scottsmith
I am going to guess that you had friends before you came out gay, why not just stay with the same group of friends

Nope - never really had any friends (never have and never will fit in at school). There is a guy who keeps hanging out with me, who does know my sexuality. He thinks we are friends, but he often treats me badly, is a bit of a narcissist and we simply don't have anything in common, so he doesn't count. I am friendly with people, but not friends with them.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending