The Student Room Group

From Paramedic to Med stutdent

Hi TSR, I'm looking for advice on going forward to study medicine, for some background detail here's what i have so far.

Average GCSe's with a CCB in sciences
IB certificates which are quite the variety in score ranges but with my highest being in bio and chem
I completed an access course to nursing and midwifery that let me study paramedic science at university which was an FDSC.

I'm currently 25 and have been registered as a para for coming up to a year and I want to start progressing further and study medicine, but I'm finding it all quite confusing on what options are available to me.

Is the Gamsat my best option currently?
Will they even consider me for a graduate application with only a fdsc completed?

if anyone has any insight into this or has been through medicine via a similar route or as a mature student any advice is greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Makee
Original post by Makee2992
Hi TSR, I'm looking for advice on going forward to study medicine, for some background detail here's what i have so far.

Average GCSe's with a CCB in sciences
IB certificates which are quite the variety in score ranges but with my highest being in bio and chem
I completed an access course to nursing and midwifery that let me study paramedic science at university which was an FDSC.

I'm currently 25 and have been registered as a para for coming up to a year and I want to start progressing further and study medicine, but I'm finding it all quite confusing on what options are available to me.

Is the Gamsat my best option currently?
Will they even consider me for a graduate application with only a fdsc completed?

if anyone has any insight into this or has been through medicine via a similar route or as a mature student any advice is greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Makee

I'm not sure you will be eligible for grad entry medicine with just an FdSc. Maybe email med schools and ask? You may have to apply for undergrad entry.
Reply 2
Original post by Volibear
I'm applying to GEM this year :smile: There are various of resources online but your situation seems unique.

Just to clarify, do you have a degree? Because I'm not familiar with your qualification but your best bet on that front would be to email medical schools and see where they stand.

Best of luck on your application! an FDSC is a foundation degree so not a full bachelors hence why I doubt i'd be able to apply for Grad positions
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
I'm not sure you will be eligible for grad entry medicine with just an FdSc. Maybe email med schools and ask? You may have to apply for undergrad entry.

I think this would be the smarter move as it stands i'm happy to take the undergrad route, I'll ping off some emails later today. Thank you for the advice
You might have more luck with 5 year undergraduate course, or a 6-year access course. I don't think you're eligible for the 4 year graduate entry course, but don't quote me on that.

Different medical schools have different entry requirements, and each medical school will put more weight on certain qualifications. You'd want to apply to somewhere that emphasised a lot of work in the NHS. Look around the 5 year medical school courses entry requirements, which are usually on their individual websites, and see your qualifications meet the entry requirements.

Otherwise, an access course might be your best bet, see:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Access_to_Medicine

For example, one of the access courses from the link above:
"Requirements: Aged 19 or above at the start of the course. 5 GCSEs grades A-C to include English, Maths and Science. Substantial work experience in the NHS. Group and individual interviews."

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending