The Student Room Group

How long are Sixth Form's responsible for its leavers?

Context: I finished Year 13 this year (July 2017) and have applied for University for 2018 entry this year. I am asking my college for guidance and help and they are refusing to give it.

How long are colleges/schools responsible for care of its students and leavers? I.e. Am I still entitled to help and guidance after I leave for a period of time, and if so, how long?

If you could link source material for claims that would be grand.

Thanks.
Reply 1
It has been my experience that help halts when you walk out the door on your last day.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
You are no longer their problem when you are no longer enrolled.
So your final year was in the 2016/17 academic year? Not a hope in hell in getting any advice from your college. What's up?
Original post by DrSocSciences
So your final year was in the 2016/17 academic year? Not a hope in hell in getting any advice from your college. What's up?

Just advice regarding sketchbook submissions and what to put in it. Am hopefully going on to do Photojournalism, however as a self-taught photographer I haven't gone through the academic teaching of Photography and thus not a clue on what to put in one (something that students would have made for 2 years prior.)

Just seems strange to me that duty of care finishes the day you leave as I remember our Head at the time mentioning that schools have a responsibility to give guidance up to 2 years or similar.
Original post by JordanDaniel
Just advice regarding sketchbook submissions and what to put in it. Am hopefully going on to do Photojournalism, however as a self-taught photographer I haven't gone through the academic teaching of Photography and thus not a clue on what to put in one (something that students would have made for 2 years prior.)

Just seems strange to me that duty of care finishes the day you leave as I remember our Head at the time mentioning that schools have a responsibility to give guidance up to 2 years or similar.

So email your Head, with good wishes, and say how grateful you are at this stage to be able to take up his/her offer of guidance. And simultaneously (but separately), research the entry requirements/guidelines for photojournalism courses. They're usually quite specific about portfolio requirements.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DrSocSciences
So email your Head, with good wishes, and say how grateful you are at this stage to be able to take up his/her offer of guidance. And simultaneously (but separately), research the entry requirements/guidelines for photojournalism courses. They're usually quite specific about portfolio requirements.

Thanks for the advice. I have done all of this and my applications are all sent off with my portfolio done. However, I am severely disapointed with my colleges attitude to help past students and so was simply asking if colleges are legally obliged rather than it being a goodwill gesture.
Reply 7
I don't think they have any legal obligation at all. Their obligation runs out when they are no longer paid to help. At my school we do provide UCAS references and advice (within reason) to former students and let students return as private candidates but exactly how helpful we are does depend rather on how helpful the student was - and how polite they are when asking. Some of them just take it for granted which isn't a good start.
Out of interest which photojournalism course did you apply for? I’m also self taught and had to apply without help from my college.
I got a place at LCC this September for photojournalism

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending