The Student Room Group

Police caution

Hey guys.
This is my first post on this site.

Last year I stupidly shoplifted for the first and last time. I got caught and I received a police caution.

I am applying for americamp this year and I am wondering if anyone had any experience in getting j1 visas with police cautions and know of my chances of getting one?

Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys.

Last year I stupidly shoplifted for the first and last time. I got caught and I received a police caution.

I am applying for americamp this year and I am wondering if anyone had any experience in getting j1 visas with police cautions and know of my chances of getting one?

Thank you

Talk to Americamp or Nacro

https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettlement-advice-service/support-for-individuals/travelling-abroad-and-immigration-to-the-uk/declaring-your-criminal-record-when-travelling-to-specific-countries/the-united-states/
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys.

Thank you

DO NOT DECLARE THE CAUTION EVER!!!!

It won't show up on any of the american checks as they only have access to a standard DBS check so as long as you declare no convictions (which is true) you won't have to deal with the embassy. Once you declare the caution, you end up in a cycle of requiring an embassy bisit every time you wish to visit america.
Original post by Tubbz

It won't show up on any of the american checks as they only have access to a standard DBS check so as long as you declare no convictions (which is true) you won't have to deal with the embassy. Once you declare the caution, you end up in a cycle of requiring an embassy bisit every time you wish to visit america.

To participate in the Camp America programme I need to submit a police check which I am waiting for just now. I don’t know whether the caution will appear on it
Reply 4
Original post by Hollydougal1
To participate in the Camp America programme I need to submit a police check which I am waiting for just now. I don’t know whether the caution will appear on it

As I just said in the above reply, a caution will not appear under a standard DBS check. Do not declare it, or it makes every visit to America in future more difficult because you've said yes on an application once.
Original post by Tubbz

By declaring "convictions" you have to declare "cautions", assuming they're eligible for mandatory disclosure. This is basic common law, and Camp America is explicit on this matter.

Camp America wesbite
You are required to declare criminal convictions including juvenile cautions, reprimands and current charges on your application form.

And provides a warning about lying.

This is also a requirement of the US Embassy in the visa process. As Embassy regulations are extremely strict, non-disclosure of information may result in a longer visa process and in some cases visa refusal.

Failure to disclose details of criminal convictions (including juvenile, cautions and current charges) are grounds for dismissal from the programme, and will lead to any payments already made being forfeited.

And Camp America uses Enhanced DBS as it involves working with children, so it can look into cautions.

Please note that because all our participants work closely with children our programme comes under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exception) Order 1975 (as amended in 2013) and you must therefore declare relevant spent convictions.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
By declaring "convictions" you have to declare "cautions", assuming they're eligible for mandatory disclosure. This is basic common law, and Camp America is explicit on this matter.

And provides a warning about lying.

And Camp America uses Enhanced DBS as it involves working with children, so it can look into cautions.

Thank you!

Do you know if I have any chance of getting a visa? Or will they just deny me for having the caution?
Thank you!

Do you know if I have any chance of getting a visa? Or will they just deny me for having the caution?

Yes, but you should read the link I posted and speak t the people I suggested. The caution will show because it wont yet have expired.

If you were under 18 when you then it removed after 2 years otherwise it is 6.

If as Notorious suggests they do an enhanced check n you, then it will show. CA can then advise how to proceed. Youd better ask them before you hand over your money.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes, but you should read the link I posted and speak t the people I suggested. The caution will show because it wont yet have expired.

If you were under 18 when you then it removed after 2 years otherwise it is 6.

If as Notorious suggests they do an enhanced check n you, then it will show. CA can then advise how to proceed. Youd better ask them before you hand over your money.

I got an email in saying that my ‘certificate has been issued and americamp have been informed as to whether there’s any content on it needing investigated’ and americamp have told me that it looks okay to them but I’ve to wait till it comes in! So fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for your help
I got an email in saying that my ‘certificate has been issued and americamp have been informed as to whether there’s any content on it needing investigated’ and americamp have told me that it looks okay to them but I’ve to wait till it comes in! So fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for your help

Read the link and talk to NACRO.
Read the link and talk to NACRO.

I’ve sent them an email!
Thank you
I’ve sent them an email!
Thank you

You are better off using the helpline imo.
You are better off using the helpline imo.

I’ll try that too! Thank u so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending