The Student Room Group

Independent Student - Household Income Assessment

Hello,

Would you please be able to clarify a couple of points regarding the household income assessment for a new full time independent student over the age of 25.

SF states that the household income assessment will be the taxable income of you and your partner (if applicable).

Is this income assessment for the previous tax year to your academic start date? If so does this mean that your own income for the previous year is taken into account and so reducing your allowance, even though at the point that your course starts you will have zero income?

And, again in this situation, do you also get reduced allowance if prior to starting your course you live with your parents (even temporarily), or is this just when you plan to live with your parents while completing your course?

I've tried to find this information on the SFE but unfortunately can't find clarity on these particular points.

Thanks.
Original post by EDuts
Hello,

Would you please be able to clarify a couple of points regarding the household income assessment for a new full time independent student over the age of 25.

SF states that the household income assessment will be the taxable income of you and your partner (if applicable).

Is this income assessment for the previous tax year to your academic start date? If so does this mean that your own income for the previous year is taken into account and so reducing your allowance, even though at the point that your course starts you will have zero income?

And, again in this situation, do you also get reduced allowance if prior to starting your course you live with your parents (even temporarily), or is this just when you plan to live with your parents while completing your course?

I've tried to find this information on the SFE but unfortunately can't find clarity on these particular points.

Thanks.

Hi Eduts,

To be classed as an independant student you must be:

25 or over before the start of the academic year

are under 25 and married/divorced before the start of the academic year

have care of a child on the first day of the academic year

are married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year

have no living parents

are estranged from their parents

have been the subject of a care order

cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them

A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study. The three years can include periods when they were:

In paid full-time employment

In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed

In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance

Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

Your parent's income will be taken into consideration if you don't fit the above criteria weather you live with them or not during your study's.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi Eduts,

To be classed as an independant student you must be:

25 or over before the start of the academic year

are under 25 and married/divorced before the start of the academic year

have care of a child on the first day of the academic year

are married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year

have no living parents

are estranged from their parents

have been the subject of a care order

cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them

A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study. The three years can include periods when they were:

In paid full-time employment

In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed

In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance

Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

Your parent's income will be taken into consideration if you don't fit the above criteria weather you live with them or not during your study's.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Thank you for your response, however I already know I will be classified as an independent student as I am over 25. I know that this means therefore that my income is assessed as part of the household income assessment (not that of my parents) but my question was whether you look at my income in the tax year prior to the course start date, or a projected income for the academic year I will be studying (which would be zero).

Whether it is one or the other will affect the information I give to student finance and therefore how much maintenance I will qualify for.

Thanks.
Original post by EDuts
Hi Catherine,

Thank you for your response, however I already know I will be classified as an independent student as I am over 25. I know that this means therefore that my income is assessed as part of the household income assessment (not that of my parents) but my question was whether you look at my income in the tax year prior to the course start date, or a projected income for the academic year I will be studying (which would be zero).

Whether it is one or the other will affect the information I give to student finance and therefore how much maintenance I will qualify for.

Thanks.

Hi EDuts,

We will not take your financial details into account it will only be:

Income of the students spouse or civil partner

Income of the students cohabiting partner (only where the student is aged 25 or over on the 1st day of the relevant academic year)

Thanks

Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending