The Student Room Group

Should Halal meat be banned in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Are people actually serious when they say the pre-stunned method of slaughter is more humane than halal?
The animal still fcking dies either way, I'm pretty sure it would feel pain no matter how it dies.
https://www.viva.org.uk/what-we-do/slaughter/slaughter-farmed-animals-uk

Should halal meat be banned? No

To those who think 'humane' animal slaughter exists just go vegan if halal slaughter upsets you that much, because the other method isn't much better.
Original post by Woksin
Hi!
I ask this question because when I read lots of comments about Halal meat, people say it is a lot better than normal methods.
I too was a believer of this myself as I was sure the animal was fully stunned first.

That was until I bumped into an old friend and we got chatting. He works at a normal slaughterhouse, but sometimes fills in for staff in Halal slaughterhouses.
From what I’ve been told by him genuinely made me feel sick. He says himself that Halal is much more cruel and sad.
He tells me most of the time the blades that cut the throats are blunt, which no access to sharpen them, and so have to violently ‘saw’ into the throats with their blunt knifes.
He also mentioned that on numerous occasions workers (speaking in arabic) often didn’t stun the animal, even though they are actually supposed to.

I thought I’d just share this as this guy has actually been there and done it, so he knows.

What’s people’s thoughts?

Would like to point out he made it very clear to me several times that normal slaughterhouses, whilst still rather gross, were much more ethical than the Halal ones he’s been to.

Of course it should be banned
Original post by Woksin
Hi!
I ask this question because when I read lots of comments about Halal meat, people say it is a lot better than normal methods.
I too was a believer of this myself as I was sure the animal was fully stunned first.

That was until I bumped into an old friend and we got chatting. He works at a normal slaughterhouse, but sometimes fills in for staff in Halal slaughterhouses.
From what I’ve been told by him genuinely made me feel sick. He says himself that Halal is much more cruel and sad.
He tells me most of the time the blades that cut the throats are blunt, which no access to sharpen them, and so have to violently ‘saw’ into the throats with their blunt knifes.
He also mentioned that on numerous occasions workers (speaking in arabic) often didn’t stun the animal, even though they are actually supposed to.

I thought I’d just share this as this guy has actually been there and done it, so he knows.

Would like to point out he made it very clear to me several times that normal slaughterhouses, whilst still rather gross, were much more ethical than the Halal ones he’s been to.

no why should it be banned? muslims have the right to eat any type of food in any way they want, how come yo're not mentioning sports that kill animals for fun and reputation? like fox and bird killing? sorry but mo
Firstly, the Islamic method of Halaal slaughter is supposed to be done with a very sharp knife as the prophet Muhammad said in an authentic narration:

"Allah has decreed proficiency in all things, so when you kill, kill well, and when you slaughter, slaughter well. Let one of you sharpen his blade and spare suffering to the animal he slaughters.'" (Ibn majah)

Secondly, as for the issue of stunning an animal. The majority of Halaal meat is slaughtered with stunning in the UK (around 80% I think) even though the UK government does permit Muslims and Jews to slaughter without stunning. There are some scholars that say stunning is prohibited but if you look at their reasons they always give one of two reasons

1)If the animal dies from the stun, you cannot eat it
2) It is a form of torture to the animal and torturing an animal is not allowed

But if the stun doesn't kill nor hurt the animal, then these scholars wouldnt have an issue with stunning

TL;DR - The blade should be sharp and stunning is not a problem. Halaal meat should be allowed if done properly
Original post by Omarmanutd
Firstly, the Islamic method of Halaal slaughter is supposed to be done with a very sharp knife as the prophet Muhammad said in an authentic narration:

"Allah has decreed proficiency in all things, so when you kill, kill well, and when you slaughter, slaughter well. Let one of you sharpen his blade and spare suffering to the animal he slaughters.'" (Ibn majah)

Secondly, as for the issue of stunning an animal. The majority of Halaal meat is slaughtered with stunning in the UK (around 80% I think) even though the UK government does permit Muslims and Jews to slaughter without stunning. There are some scholars that say stunning is prohibited but if you look at their reasons they always give one of two reasons

But if the stun doesn't kill nor hurt the animal, then these scholars wouldnt have an issue with stunning

TL;DR - The blade should be sharp and stunning is not a problem. Halaal meat should be allowed if done properly

Also please don't start a debate with me over Halaal meat. I've already had plenty and I really don't have the time, I have A levels to revise for
Original post by Woksin
Hi!

Tell him to buy a sharper blade
Original post by Omarmanutd

If you don’t want reply’s then you shouldn’t comment.

If you want to slit the throat of an animal and bleed to to death once it is stunned I have no issue with that.

Slitting the throat whilst conscious is what I have an issue with, I really couldn’t care less what a warlord said over a millennium ago, it should trump the right of an animal not to die in pain.
Original post by paul514

If you want to slit the throat of an animal and bleed to to death once it is stunned I have no issue with that.

Slitting the throat whilst conscious is what I have an issue with, I really couldn’t care less what a warlord said over a millennium ago, it should trump the right of an animal not to die in pain.

Well Halal has no specific issue against stunning. The vast majority of halal is stunned, hell a lot of supermarkets/fastfood/takeaway providers use Halal meat just in case, people would be surprised how much meat they consume is actually Halal.

That being said Halal Slaughterhouses do tend to have a high proportion of animals killed without stunning methods.

People also never tend to bring up Kosher meat despite it being far less humane... that being said you can't criticise jews or israel without being labelled as a anti-semite....
No
Original post by DanB1991
Well Halal has no specific issue against stunning. The vast majority of halal is stunned, hell a lot of supermarkets/fastfood/takeaway providers use Halal meat just in case, people would be surprised how much meat they consume is actually Halal.

That being said Halal Slaughterhouses do tend to have a high proportion of animals killed without stunning methods.

People also never tend to bring up Kosher meat despite it being far less humane... that being said you can't criticise jews or israel without being labelled as a anti-semite....

If it’s ok to stun then it should be all stunned!

And yes kosher needs the same treatment too.
Original post by paul514
If it’s ok to stun then it should be all stunned!

And yes kosher needs the same treatment too.

Yes it should be stunned, but that doesn't require a ban on Halal. Simply updating current UK legislation to make stunning mandatory would suffice.
Original post by DanB1991
Yes it should be stunned, but that doesn't require a ban on Halal. Simply updating current UK legislation to make stunning mandatory would suffice.

It’s a ban on none stunned halal meat
SJW
Original post by deltagolf
SJW

Your comment is haram
Original post by paul514
Your comment is haram

Man's halal in the streets, bro.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by deltagolf
Man's halal in the streets, bro.

Halal on the street, haram in the sheets
Reply 56
Original post by Woksin
Hi!

Utter *******s.

Halal slaughter is done by a Muslim who says the shahada. Is your friend Muslim or are you a britian first troll?
Reply 57
Original post by paul514

The purpose of that is to drain the blood...
Use the sharpest knife on earth and say whatever prayer you want but if you don't stun a cow prior to slaughter it will feel immense pain as they have major blood supply on the back of their neck, which is not cut during killing. Therefore regardless of religion and whether or not inhumane practices should be allowed on religious grounds this is unacceptable.
Original post by nadman
The purpose of that is to drain the blood...

Obviously.....

Doesn’t mean the animal should be conscious for it though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending