The Student Room Group

Why do people go to lectures just to talk over the lecturer

Serious question; why the hell do some people come to lectures just to sit there and talk loudly for the whole thing? Saying something quietly to your friend every so often is fine but why do some people just have constant loud conversations throughout? I have a lecture every Monday and this group of guys always do this and it's so annoying. For a start it's super rude to the lecturer as you're just talking over them, and it means nobody can hear what is being said. Like if you're just gonna talk over the lecturer really loudly for the whole lecture why even bother going? Really gets on my nerves I had to vent as I know other people will have experienced this as well. Like I pay £9k a year for this I actually want to hear what's being said so I can get a decent grade.

Scroll to see replies

I understand what you mean.

There are some people who talk so loudly in my lectures, it's unbearable. Some people literally talk as if they're outside while the lecturer is speaking, being inconsiderate.

And I'm not sure why it annoys me, but people on their phones throughout the whole lecture irritates me, unless the lecture is incredibly dead, then I understand.
I totally understand. We have a seminar once a week and it's in a small computer room. The tutor will start talking and a group of girls will lean over each other's computers to talk in loud whispers. The tutor will ask them to be quiet. As soon as she starts talking, they start. As if we can't hear them just because the tutor is talking. Once they had to be told 4 times before they finally understood. It is so frustrating.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I understand what you mean.

There are some people who talk so loudly in my lectures, it's unbearable. Some people literally talk as if they're outside while the lecturer is speaking, being inconsiderate.

And I'm not sure why it annoys me, but people on their phones throughout the whole lecture irritates me, unless the lecture is incredibly dead, then I understand.

I can get over people on their phones as they're not disrupting things like it's their choice and it only affects them when they're not paying attention, but I really don't get people who chat just like they're in a cafe or something like you're in a lecture people are trying to listen and someone is talking it's so rude. You can see it visibly annoying people but nobody wants to be that person who calls them out
Reply 4
I'd have them leave.
Reply 5
At the uni I go to, they do take registers and have a minimum attendance requirement. Quite a few people got warning e-mails lately and lectures suddenly have a lot more people turning up again. The people who just talk probably don't even want to be there. Not defending them, I'm not fond of these people either.
Original post by EmmaRebecca1997
Serious question; why the hell do some people come to lectures just to sit there and talk loudly for the whole thing? Saying something quietly to your friend every so often is fine but why do some people just have constant loud conversations throughout? I have a lecture every Monday and this group of guys always do this and it's so annoying. For a start it's super rude to the lecturer as you're just talking over them, and it means nobody can hear what is being said. Like if you're just gonna talk over the lecturer really loudly for the whole lecture why even bother going? Really gets on my nerves I had to vent as I know other people will have experienced this as well. Like I pay £9k a year for this I actually want to hear what's being said so I can get a decent grade.

Hmm, perhaps you could sit in a different location then? During my lectures, people generally do stop talking when the lecturer tells them to. Most of the times people are accused of talking it seems to be those students who sit towards the back, as well. :P
Reply 7
This so irritating! I had to move seats sometimes because of that!!
Reply 8
Because attendance and because they’re no lives
Original post by DrawTheLine
I totally understand. We have a seminar once a week and it's in a small computer room. The tutor will start talking and a group of girls will lean over each other's computers to talk in loud whispers. The tutor will ask them to be quiet. As soon as she starts talking, they start. As if we can't hear them just because the tutor is talking. Once they had to be told 4 times before they finally understood. It is so frustrating.

Hahahah, what uni is this? Can't say I have ever experienced a) people talking over the lecturer or b) someone being scolded by a lecturer. It is not school after all.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Hahahah, what uni is this? Can't say I have ever experienced a) people talking over the lecturer or b) someone being scolded by a lecturer. It is not school after all.

It was a small computer room so everything can be heard.
Just tell them to stop talking even if it brings attention to yourself, im sure people will back you

You're an adult. You can do two things and take some action rather than ranting on here, which won't help:

1) Tell them to shut the **** up yourself;

2) or speak to the lecturer and ask him to "shush" people whenever it gets too loud (Someone asked the lecturer on my course to do this a few weeks ago, and it works).
Starting uni in September, really scared I'll have to deal with something like this

Complain to whoever is the head of your department. If you think this there will be enough that agree with you and something should be done about it.
Reply 15

You do (very) occasionally get a disruptive influence. Easy enough to settle things down provided the person leading the session isn't a complete dolt.
Original post by gjd800
You do (very) occasionally get a disruptive influence. Easy enough to settle things down provided the person leading the session isn't a complete dolt.

I see. My point was twofold really. Firstly, I have never experienced someone talking over a lecturer. Lecturers are given infinitely more respect than schoolteachers. Maybe the people I went to uni with were more nerdy, hence more respectful.

Secondly, I have never seen a lecturer admonish a student for anything. There is mutual respect from student to academic, given both of you are adults at this stage in your education. An internationally recognised researcher wasting their time telling a student off? Strikes me as absurd; can't even imagine it.

To be honest, the chief problem with our seminars was people were unwilling to talk or respond to questions. Kind of the opposite issue!
Reply 17
I see. My point was twofold really. Firstly, I have never experienced someone talking over a lecturer. Lecturers are given infinitely more respect than schoolteachers. Maybe the people I went to uni with were more nerdy, hence more respectful.

Secondly, I have never seen a lecturer admonish a student for anything. There is mutual respect from student to academic, given both of you are adults at this stage in your education. An internationally recognised researcher wasting their time telling a student off? Strikes me as absurd; can't even imagine it.

To be honest, the chief problem with our seminars was people were unwilling to talk or respond to questions. Kind of the opposite issue!

I've not seen talking over the lecturer as such, but I have seen gossiping in lectures that is enough of a distraction to other people to warrant a 'settle down'.

The main one I saw was the 'I know better than the lecturer' thing. On such occasions it's wasn't as much of an admonishment as a sarcastic quip reminding said disruptive influence of their place.

I wish my groups would talk a bit more in the seminars, I don't get paid enough to lecture at them :laugh:
This hasn't happened to me too often, but one time I was sat at the back of a lecture and some people were doing coursework for another module and talking about it. In the end I moved. I saw someone telling them to shut up, but I wouldn't have the confidence.
this vexs me so much
sometimes though someone or the lecturer tells the group off for chatting
if you want to chat go to the cafe :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest