The Student Room Group

180 pounds rent budget in London - intl. student

I know this topic has been discussed over million times on this forum but I have to ask anyways.

I am an international student and will soon be visiting London to get a basic idea of the housing there. My budget would be around 180 quid a week. What can I possibly find for such amount? I want to cook for myself and live in an en-suite or studio room.

Thanks for any recommendations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ak76
If you are planning to live in central or within 5 miles of central London, you are not going to find anything for your budget - studios for 180 are impossible

I don't mind anything within a ... 20min tube ride (?)
Where in London are you looking?
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Where in London are you looking?

Got an offer from QMUL, waiting for KCL. Anything within 20-min tube ride is fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you want to live near anything/within a reasonable commute of the center, that will play for a room in a shared flat/house, maaybbee ensuite. Look at zoopla/spareroom/gumtree to get an idea of costs and locations.
a studio in london with that budget, quite the sense of humour you've got there :wink:

renting privately will be difficult as you will require a guarantor working in the UK which you presumably lack, thus accommodation via a student housing association or your uni are your best bets

a single en-suite room (not a studio) near central London will cost £200-250 pw

a studio near central London will cost £250-300 pw

you might be able to find cheaper options depending on your uni and where their accommodation is located, but the above should serve as average figures to expect if you don't want to flat share etc
Reply 6
Original post by Palmyra
a studio in london with that budget, quite the sense of humour you've got there :wink:

renting privately will be difficult as you will require a guarantor working in the UK which you presumably lack, thus accommodation via a student housing association or your uni are your best bets

a single en-suite room (not a studio) near central London will cost £200-250 pw

a studio near central London will cost £250-300 pw

you might be able to find cheaper options depending on your uni and where their accommodation is located, but the above should serve as average figures to expect if you don't want to flat share etc

"near central London" - what exactly does that mean? I am fine with anything within a 20-30min tube ride. I found some options from the uni websites that go around £170 for en-suites but there's barely any pictures to get an idea of how they look like.

Also, does my guarantor have to be strictly from the UK?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by goonhoon
I know this topic has been discussed over million times on this forum but I have to ask anyways.

I am an international student and will soon be visiting London to get a basic idea of the housing there. My budget would be around 180 quid a week. What can I possibly find for such amount? I want to cook for myself and live in a private en-suite or studio room.

You can get shared rooms in uni accommodation for that price. It'll be transport distance away. Perhaps 30 mins by tube?

Ensuite will be around £200
Reply 8
Original post by Kyber Ninja
You can get shared rooms in uni accommodation for that price. It'll be transport distance away. Perhaps 30 mins by tube?

Ensuite will be around £200

http://www.residences.qmul.ac.uk/college//fees/index.html

France House - Single En-suite Premium (Private Bathroom with bath/shower/WC)
5 residents per flat --> £172.06

From what I's ve heard, this looks kind of cheap. What the trick?
Reply 9

The trick is you have to share with 5 other people
Reply 10
Original post by Reiji

but not the bedroom, right? only the kitchen etc.

You're living in a flat and not in halls. If that's fine by you then go for it.

But if you don't like your flat mates it can become problematic. I don't personally recommend it; I think it's great for the second year when you know people. It's naturally your choice.
Original post by Reiji

4*
Reply 13
but not the bedroom, right? only the kitchen etc.

Yeah, sure. If I may I would discourage coming to London all together, it's becoming a mess of a city

QMUL is in a terrible area as well (Mile End).

I am an international student and will soon be visiting London to get a basic idea of the housing there. My budget would be around 180 quid a week. What can I possibly find for such amount? I want to cook for myself and live in an en-suite or studio room.

Look at sharing a house. It's much better value. My recommendation is that you try to find a group of people who are looking for housing first, and then take on a tenancy in your joint names, rather than taking a room in an already let house. That way your position is secure and you can get to know the people you'll be living with before you move in with them, which is important (take a look at any of the horror stories on here about ending up with terrible housemates).

Don't try to live in the dead centre. It's poor value. Look slightly further out but make sure you're near a tube station -- you'll get a better place for less money, and your overall commute won't be any longer than if you live more centrally but further from a station.

My personal recommendation is that you have a look at property in the Isle of Dogs. There's good value in the area, you're a short hop on the DLR to Bank (District Line gets you to Mile End for QMUL or Temple for KCL), it's overall surprisingly nice and you'll be next to Canary Wharf, which is pleasant for shopping and eating and there's a few bars and pubs.
"near central London" - what exactly does that mean? I am fine with anything within a 20-30min tube ride. I found some options from the uni websites that go around £170 for en-suites but there's barely any pictures to get an idea of how they look like.

Also, does my guarantor have to be strictly from the UK?

A 20-30 min tube journey every day could cost you approx £1300 pa (the cost of an annual season ticket for journeys within zones 1-2), but £170 pw for an ensuite in London is not a bad option (though Mile End is notoriously undesirable)

If it's a uni halls then no, but if it's a private tenancy usually yes, but it depends (e.g. you may have to pay more up-front instead)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Reiji
Yeah, sure. If I may I would discourage coming to London all together, it's becoming a mess of a city

QMUL is in a terrible area as well (Mile End).

Hey! Mile End is lovely if you like cigarette smoke, takeaways and pollution.
Original post by Palmyra
A 20-30 min tube journey every day could cost you approx £1300 pa (the cost of an annual season ticket for journeys within zones 1-2), but £170 pw for an ensuite in London is not a bad option (though Mile End is notoriously undesirable)

If it's a uni halls then no, but if it's a private tenancy usually yes, but it depends (e.g. you may have to pay more up-front instead)

I would advice he does it on a discounted Oyster. He won’t be going up 52 weeks a year so a season ticket isn’t necessary.
Original post by Andrew97
Hey! Mile End is lovely if you like cigarette smoke, takeaways and pollution.

Great climbing centre that way too!
Reply 19
Original post by Palmyra

What about KCL campuses and their surroundings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending