The Student Room Group

Brighton, Coventry or Huddersfield? (for Automotive Engineering)

Hi, I have all my offers and I'm considering either Brighton, Coventry or Huddersfield for automotive engineering. I'm predicted AAB. Although I've fallen quite a bit behind due to circumstances. Brighton offered me an Unconditional for the MEng (Usually BBB), Coventry gave me a conditional ABB for the BEng and Huddersfield gave a conditional BBB for the BEng. Wondering if any past or present students, or even prospective students could give me some insight on the courses, areas etc.

I'm not going by "rankings" as, especially for non-russel group unis, they change dramatically each year. I'm more interested in what the courses are like, are the lecturers good, what placements are available on the sandwich year, accommodation, sports, how life is in the area etc.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by omacmano98
Hi, I have all my offers and I'm considering either Brighton, Coventry or Huddersfield for automotive engineering. I'm predicted AAB. Although I've fallen quite a bit behind due to circumstances. Brighton offered me an Unconditional for the MEng (Usually BBB), Coventry gave me a conditional ABB for the BEng and Huddersfield gave a conditional BBB for the BEng. Wondering if any past or present students, or even prospective students could give me some insight on the courses, areas etc.

I'm not going by "rankings" as, especially for non-russel group unis, they change dramatically each year. I'm more interested in what the courses are like, are the lecturers good, what placements are available on the sandwich year, accommodation, sports, how life is in the area etc.

Thanks.

Can you visit them? That's by far the most important thing. You will be spending a lot of money and 4 years studying there.

Also, are their courses accredited?

You have until May to decide. There's no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Can you visit them? That's by far the most important thing. You will be spending a lot of money and 4 years studying there.

Also, are their courses accredited?

You have until May to decide. There's no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to Brighton for their applicant day as they gave me an unconditional, but I most likely won't be able to visit the others because I live across the water and flights aren't exactly cheap.
I'm going to Brighton for their applicant day as they gave me an unconditional, but I most likely won't be able to visit the others because I live across the water and flights aren't exactly cheap.

Hi omacmano98

Well done on getting your offers.

I can offer you some information on the points you mentioned, however if you would prefer, we can organise to put you in contact with a current student, they will be able to answer some of your questions about the course lecturers and uni life.

I understand it also is not easy to visit every university, especially with travel considerations.

We have excellent teaching at Huddersfield, with a Teaching Excellence Framework gold rating. All our teaching staff have or are completing doctorates. If you would like to speak to some of the lecturers, let me know and we can put you in contact with them.

There is the opportunity to do a placement year as your third year of the course. We have a placement unit that will support you in finding a suitable placement. They also assist with preparing your CV and interview techniques. The placement team are also in regular contact with local and national companies. Some of our past students have done their placements at Vauxhall, Bentley Motors and Cummins.

Accommodation is easy to secure through the University’s preferred, recommended and approved accommodation provider DIGS student. They provide two halls for students, one at Storthes Hall which has a bar and games room on site, and the other at Ashenhurst which is close to the University. DIGS can pass you information and rates if you want to explore this further.

We have on campus sports facilities. Through Team Hud, you can join the gym and sign up for classes, and through the students union you can join many of the sports team and clubs. There is a wide range from archery to surfing! https://www.huddersfield.su/groups?group_type=sports-clubs&group_cat=&search=

Finally, we have a vibrant student scene in Huddersfield, with popular bars, clubs and activities in the town, and easy access to both Manchester and Leeds. The town is located in West Yorkshire, and is never far from open countryside and parkland. We have something for everyone!

Did you have any specific questions I can help with? Are you looking forward to starting a new course somewhere?

Best wishes

Rachel UoH
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi omacmano98

Well done on getting your offers.

I can offer you some information on the points you mentioned, however if you would prefer, we can organise to put you in contact with a current student, they will be able to answer some of your questions about the course lecturers and uni life.

I understand it also is not easy to visit every university, especially with travel considerations.

We have excellent teaching at Huddersfield, with a Teaching Excellence Framework gold rating. All our teaching staff have or are completing doctorates. If you would like to speak to some of the lecturers, let me know and we can put you in contact with them.

There is the opportunity to do a placement year as your third year of the course. We have a placement unit that will support you in finding a suitable placement. They also assist with preparing your CV and interview techniques. The placement team are also in regular contact with local and national companies. Some of our past students have done their placements at Vauxhall, Bentley Motors and Cummins.

Accommodation is easy to secure through the University’s preferred, recommended and approved accommodation provider DIGS student. They provide two halls for students, one at Storthes Hall which has a bar and games room on site, and the other at Ashenhurst which is close to the University. DIGS can pass you information and rates if you want to explore this further.

We have on campus sports facilities. Through Team Hud, you can join the gym and sign up for classes, and through the students union you can join many of the sports team and clubs. There is a wide range from archery to surfing! https://www.huddersfield.su/groups?group_type=sports-clubs&group_cat=&search=

Finally, we have a vibrant student scene in Huddersfield, with popular bars, clubs and activities in the town, and easy access to both Manchester and Leeds. The town is located in West Yorkshire, and is never far from open countryside and parkland. We have something for everyone!

Did you have any specific questions I can help with? Are you looking forward to starting a new course somewhere?

Best wishes

Rachel UoH

Hi, Thanks for your response. I just saw that Huddersfield actually help cover travel costs for applicant days for up to 80 Pounds, which can cover my flights. So i booked the flights along with the place at the applicant day. I would like to know why I should choose going to Hud instead of Coventry or Brighton. What makes the course better? Is the sandwich year better and how? Can I switch over to the MEng course at some point? Why is Hud a better Town than the others? What supports do I get?

I am also big into BJJ (Brazillian JuJitsu), and I couldn't seem to find any clubs in the university or anywhere in Huddersfield for that matter. Whereas I was able to find multiple in Coventry and Brighton.

Also, how does the sandwich year work exactly? Do I still pay tuition fees? Will the company pay me? Does the university help me find a placement or do I have to find one for myself?

I'm really looking forward to Uni in September and I want to make sure I find a place that I enjoy both academic and social aspects of, and that has desirable facilities that suit my needs.
Reply 5
bump
Hi, Thanks for your response. I just saw that Huddersfield actually help cover travel costs for applicant days for up to 80 Pounds, which can cover my flights. So i booked the flights along with the place at the applicant day. I would like to know why I should choose going to Hud instead of Coventry or Brighton. What makes the course better? Is the sandwich year better and how? Can I switch over to the MEng course at some point? Why is Hud a better Town than the others? What supports do I get?

I am also big into BJJ (Brazillian JuJitsu), and I couldn't seem to find any clubs in the university or anywhere in Huddersfield for that matter. Whereas I was able to find multiple in Coventry and Brighton.

Also, how does the sandwich year work exactly? Do I still pay tuition fees? Will the company pay me? Does the university help me find a placement or do I have to find one for myself?

I'm really looking forward to Uni in September and I want to make sure I find a place that I enjoy both academic and social aspects of, and that has desirable facilities that suit my needs.

Hi @omacmano98

Thanks for replying to us, and for your patience while we spoke to several contacts at the University.

We are looking forward to seeing you at the visit day, we think it will really give you the best chance to get a feel for the University and the course, and to speak to current students and academics.

We can’t comment on other institutions, but our Automotive and Motorsport Engineering course is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), which means it goes towards helping you get Incorporated Engineer status (IEng).

Transfer to the MEng course is possible, this requires a student to achieve an average of 60% in both their first and second years.

We encourage all of our students to do a placement year to enhance their employability and help them to develop as an individual. It is acknowledged that graduates with industry experience are generally much more attractive to employers. It also enables students to make industry contacts which may be useful upon graduation. We have a dedicated Placement Unit within the School of Engineering, who offer significant support in finding and applying for placements. They advertise roles, offer help with CVs and application forms and help with interview prep. The service is specifically for the School of Engineering, so it is not just generic careers advice.

You do pay tuition fees for your placement year, but they are significantly reduced (currently £900 but may rise by RPI-X).

Placements within the Automotive industry can pay on average between £14-16k per year.

You could also join Team Hare, http://asteria.hud.ac.uk/teamhare/, our Formula Student Team. The group builds a car and then enters into the Formula Student competition. They went to Barcelona in 2017, it would be a great thing to get involved with.

We spoke to the Students Union in regards to the Brazilian JuJitsu. We do not currently have this club, but we do have Taekwon-do, Thai Boxing and Karate clubs however students can set up new groups at any time and the SU will support them through this process.

If you did not want to set up a new group, there is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club in Brockholes, which is just outside Huddersfield and accessible by train.

Have you visited Huddersfield before? What things are you interested in outside of study?

Thank you

Rachel UoH

Quick Reply

Latest