The Student Room Group

Valentine's Day in a couple weeks, how do other singletons cope?

How can I stave off the self-loathing (to a certain extent, I don't expect miracles here) and misery this Valentine's Day?

17 y/o lad in lower 6th.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have a pint.
Reply 2
With the knowledge that it's just another day, doesn't mean anything, and is purely a tool for the retail industry?
Reply 3
You're not spending money, except for tissues.

But yeah, just treat it like any other day.
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
You're not spending money, except for tissues.

But yeah, just treat it like any other day.

Tissues used for crying, *******, or both?
it's just a random completely commercial day (and if you're going to indulge at least save yourself cash and don't buy **** specifically marketed for valentines), ignore it and get on with your life.
Don't be so dramatic OP.

You're 17. Chill out and just carry on going about your youthful business.
By not caring.
Eating chocolates and enjoying my day as if its a normal day
Reply 9
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Don't be so dramatic OP.

You're 17. Chill out and just carry on going about your youthful business.

Easier said than done. I'm not the most cheerful or focused of gents.
I’ve never understood the whole valentines day thing. Might be because i’ve never celebrated it, but it just seems like a waste of money. I guess it’s kind of like an anniversary for people who aren’t married?

I love the lingerie sales after though!
Reply 11
Meh..
I never cared about valentines day but I have to say, my first one in a relationship was pretty lovely. Neither of us are soppy or anything but it's always a good excuse to spend time together and do something a little cuter than normal. Was the first time either of us had a valentine as well.
For my last valentines day I was single and all my friends were in a relationship and busy that day so I went on walk. Was pretty depressing seeing couples holding hands and at one point the wind was blowing into my eyes and I started tearing up which didn't help matters. I feel like something was in the air though that day, and I caught more eyes than normal, I think everyone else who was single was also kind of on the lookout.
This year I don't really care too much but again all of my friends are still in relationships, and I'll be seeing many snapchats and instagrams of flowers and dates which will probably make me feel a bit sad that I'm missing out (now that I know what I'm missing). I'll probably just lay low for the day. A tip if you can, organise something that day to take your mind off things. A couple of my friends are in long distance relationships so might not be celebrating with their partners so we might go out for dinner just because it's a good excuse to do something nice
Reply 13
Don't worry about it, the whole thing is an over commercilised bag of shite. I don't even think couples enjoy it nowadays. Just do something else. There's plenty of days in the year to search for love.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
How can I stave off the self-loathing (to a certain extent, I don't expect miracles here) and misery this Valentine's Day?

17 y/o lad in lower 6th.

I go out with my best friends to dinner and a movie!
v day is a laugh if you're single and can get into clubs/parties
just be salty and stay in with a film and take away
A little thing called Ben and Jerrys.
By realising that the majority of people in the U.K don’t give a toss.
Buy yourself your own card and write inside about how much you love yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending