The Student Room Group

Should i decline my offer from Cambridge?

I been offered a place to study a 4 year Maths in Cambridge. However i just found out that the Masters i want to do you have to apply again after 3 years of the current course.

So i am planning on going to Edinburgh Uni, do my bachelors then apply for master's in Cambridge. Thereby saving more than £36,000. Is that a responsible choice.

----
Note. Mod edit 12/2/18: be aware this is a troll thread by the OP formerly known as "scottsmith"
Please read to the end before commenting with advice. Thanks :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Also my girlfriend is going to Edinburgh uni which is a plus.
Do you prefer the course at Edinburgh or Cambridge? Teaching style? What about career prospects?

Think about these first. Sure, staying in Scotland might seem the better financial option but you don't really see your student debt. In terms of repayments, you only start paying once you earn a certain amount (currently the threshold is £21k, rising to £25k). It's only 9% over the threshold, per year and the majority won't pay it off.

Cambridge is very different, though not for everyone so consider the above questions carefully. It might be nice to be with your girlfriend but do not give up Cambridge because of her if it's the better course for you. The terms are short (8 weeks) and you'll have long vacations to see her. And, not to be cynical but most people do not stay with their partners once they start uni...
Reply 3
Yes
Also yeah with cambridge they generally let people in with a 2.1 in their maths course but you need a first from any other uni I'm p sure.
What nationality are you and where do you live?

Which courses (UG and PG) are you looking at?

Do you have an offer from Edinburgh already?
Original post by Paralove
Do you prefer the course at Edinburgh or Cambridge? Teaching style? What about career prospects?

Think about these first. Sure, staying in Scotland might seem the better financial option but you don't really see your student debt. In terms of repayments, you only start paying once you earn a certain amount (currently the threshold is £21k, rising to £25k). It's only 9% over the threshold, per year and the majority won't pay it off.

Cambridge is very different, though not for everyone so consider the above questions carefully. It might be nice to be with your girlfriend but do not give up Cambridge because of her if it's the better course for you. The terms are short (8 weeks) and you'll have long vacations to see her. And, not to be cynical but most people do not stay with their partners once they start uni...

Me and girlfriend have been together for 3 years and she (being older than me by a year) took a gap year so we can go to the same uni. If i got to Cambridge i am pretty sure she will understand, but it would feel like i betrayed her...

in terms of career prospects, i am planning on doing my masters there, so either path i choose i will still have a masters degree from Cambridge.
Original post by Duncan2012
What nationality are you and where do you live?

Which courses (UG and PG) are you looking at?

Do you have an offer from Edinburgh already?

I am a Scottish student living in Glasgow. I already got a second year offer from Edinburgh. The undergraduate course is Maths, but Cambridge offers a more theoretical/pure (can't think of the right word) masters course
Reply 8
Original post by scottsmith
Me and girlfriend have been together for 3 years and she (being older than me by a year) took a gap year so we can go to the same uni. If i got to Cambridge i am pretty sure she will understand, but it would feel like i betrayed her...

in terms of career prospects, i am planning on doing my masters there, so either path i choose i will still have a masters degree from Cambridge.

You are much more likely to be accepted to Part III as a Cambridge undergrad than an Edinburgh postgrad.

Also Student Finance is more straightforward for the MMath than a BSc + MASt. A Cambridge MASt costs about £10k excluding living costs. A postgraduate loan is £10k but has to cover living costs too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
I been offered a place to study a 4 year Maths in Cambridge. However i just found out that the Masters i want to do you have to apply again after 3 years of the current course.

So i am planning on going to Edinburgh Uni, do my bachelors then apply for master's in Cambridge. Thereby saving more than £36,000. Is that a responsible choice.

Can you elaborate on your first paragraph
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Can you elaborate on your first paragraph

Got a offer from Cambridge to study Masters in Maths. However i found out that to study the masters course that i want (Part III of the Mathematical Tripos) i have to apply again at 3rd year. If i don't get in i would do the general masters course for maths.

I also got a offer from Edinburgh uni to study Maths, so i am planning on going to Edinburgh do a bachelors course there and then apply for a masters course in Cambridge (Part III of the Mathematical Tripos).
Some people would kill to get into Cambridge so think carefully about it, ask your teachers for advice
Reply 12
Got a offer from Cambridge to study Masters in Maths. However i found out that to study the masters course that i want (Part III of the Mathematical Tripos) i have to apply again at 3rd year. If i don't get in i would do the general masters course for maths.

I also got a offer from Edinburgh uni to study Maths, so i am planning on going to Edinburgh do a bachelors course there and then apply for a masters course in Cambridge (Part III of the Mathematical Tripos).

To stay on for Part III you don't "apply" as such, you just need to be doing well enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd have a much better chance as an offer to Part III as a Camb student. IIRC, Most people who apply from Cambridge get in

What are you looking to do in the future?
Original post by Kyber Ninja
You'd have a much better chance as an offer to Part III as a Camb student. IIRC, Most people who apply from Cambridge get in

What are you looking to do in the future?

Research mathematician and if that does workout go for accounting
Original post by Doonesbury
To stay on for Part III you don't "apply" as such, you just need to be doing well enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If i do really well in Edinburgh and get a First class degree wouldn't it be the same?
Reply 16
@scottsmith in recent years 88% of Cambridge "applicants" for Part III got an Offer, compared to 60% of Edinburgh grads (and *far* fewer went on to take up a place).
Research mathematician and if that does workout go for accounting

Don't believe they care much about unis for research - going to Camb would help with accounting.

It just depends whether you think it's worth the extra £27,000 and not having your gf around, along with improved chance of part iii
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NGEO
Some people would kill to get into Cambridge so think carefully about it, ask your teachers for advice

My teachers, my parents and friends all think that i should go into Cambridge. I supposes they are saying that because it would be good for the school.
Original post by Doonesbury
@scottsmith in recent years 88% of Cambridge "applicants" for Part III got an Offer, compared to 60% of Edinburgh grads (and *far* fewer went on to take up a place).

out of curiosity where are getting the stats from, can you send me the link

p.s not being rude or anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending