The Student Room Group

Should i decline my offer from Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by scottsmith
out of curiosity where are getting the stats from, can you send me the link

p.s not being rude or anything

it's from an FOI request on whatdotheyknow.
I rejected Cambridge and I can honeslty say I've not regretted that decision at all. However, my reasons were considerably different.
Also my girlfriend is going to Edinburgh uni which is a plus.
That's not a good reason to base decisions on.

Thereby saving more than £36,000.
If correct, this is a good reason to base decisions on.

out of curiosity where are getting the stats from, can you send me the link

p.s not being rude or anything
Trust Doonesbury, he's a good egg.:wink:
People are saying i am going regret it, however all the decisions i made so far in my life i have no regrets. And if i leave my gf to go to Cambridge and we break up i am defo going to regret it
People are saying i am going regret it, however all the decisions i made so far in my life i have no regrets. And if i leave my gf to go to Cambridge and we break up i am defo going to regret it

From what I have read it seems as if you have made up your mind already, and the contras you give don't have much of a backup argument. There's always a first in terms of regret and decisions you make - it's a fact. People here have been trying to give sound arguments for/against rejecting Cambridge, so instead of making broad statements like "I have no regrets" try to question their point of view. Only that way you'll be able to get enough points to confirm your stance or change your mind.
Reply 24
Thereby saving more than £36,000. Is that a responsible choice.

Also can you show your workings on that please, including living costs (rent, etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Not related to answering your question but I was wondering what grades you got for your gcse for a place to have been offered to you at Cambridge.
Original post by Doonesbury
Also can you show your workings on that please, including living costs (rent, etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Scotland the government pays for tuition and you don't have pay them back. In England tuition is 9 grand, times that by 3, £27 (loan) grand. And accommodation is cheaper by a grand per year in Edinburgh,
Original post by Kuchan
Not related to answering your question but I was wondering what grades you got for your gcse for a place to have been offered to you at Cambridge.

Done National 5 (8As)
Done National 5 (8As)

So I wouldn't need to get all A* to be offered a place?
Reply 29
In Scotland the government pays for tuition and you don't have pay them back. In England tuition is 9 grand, times that by 3, £27 (loan) grand. And accommodation is cheaper by a grand per year in Edinburgh,

Where are you getting your Cambridge accomodation costs from? Which college is your offer?

And you don't pay the loan back for Cambridge either, until you earn enough.
I been offered a place to study a 4 year Maths in Cambridge. However i just found out that the Masters i want to do you have to apply again after 3 years of the current course.

So i am planning on going to Edinburgh Uni, do my bachelors then apply for master's in Cambridge. Thereby saving more than £36,000. Is that a responsible choice.

Could I ask how it is you secured a place in Cambridge? I'm in 11th grade right now and I'm very keen to go to Cambridge but I've heard even brilliant people who attained 4 A*s couldn't get a spot, let alone full scholarship. I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips so I can prepare while I have time.
Original post by Doonesbury
Where are you getting your Cambridge accomodation costs from? Which college is your offer?

And you don't pay the loan back for Cambridge either, until you earn enough.

Trinity college, got the price of a shared bathroom, adding a little more on cause i want ensuite bathroom.
Original post by Kuchan

Scottish and English grading system are different, like a advanced higher A in Scotland is the same as a A level A* (i think)
Original post by StressedSun
Could I ask how it is you secured a place in Cambridge? I'm in 11th grade right now and I'm very keen to go to Cambridge but I've heard even brilliant people who attained 4 A*s couldn't get a spot, let alone full scholarship. I would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips so I can prepare while I have time.

I am not really got at advices but what sets me out from my friends in school is that when i try and learn things, i try and understand the concept behind (which would mean that i would have to learn a bit more than what the school teaches me) where has friends just memorize the infromation and soon forgets about it.

Also do well in the admission test and interview, always have backup plan, this means you will be less stressed out in the interview stage
Reply 34
Original post by Kuchan

Nope.

Your A-levels are more important than GCSEs.
Reply 35
Trinity college, got the price of a shared bathroom, adding a little more on cause i want ensuite bathroom.

So that's what cost per year? £4k?
And how much is rent in Edinburgh? £6K?

Don't forget you have short terms in Cambridge, so you only pay a 30 week contract (for *all* 4 years), whereas Edinburgh will be a 52 week contract after year 1 (i.e. in private rented accomodation)

And do you qualify for the Cambridge Bursary?
Original post by 04MR17
I rejected Cambridge and I can honeslty say I've not regretted that decision at all. However, my reasons were considerably different.

Realise I'm being nosy, but what exactly made you reject it? I've been having a lot of doubts since rejecting Edinburgh for your uni, but you haven't regretted it in the slightest.

Just wondering, ye're free to keep it private.
Original post by CastCuraga
Realise I'm being nosy, but what exactly made you reject it? I've been having a lot of doubts since rejecting Edinburgh for your uni, but you haven't regretted it in the slightest.

Just wondering, ye're free to keep it private.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4690636
Reply 38
@scottsmith just on the progression from the BA to Part III for a current Cambridge student:

"Part III admissions decisions for continuing Part III students are made by the Faculty Board by a process outlined at the bottom of this page. The effect of this process is as follows. Permission is automatic if you obtain a First in Part II Mathematics. If you do not obtain a First in Part II Mathematics you may ask the college to apply on your behalf for permission to continue. The committee set up to make decisions will consider your past examination performance, the recommendation from your College, your own letter and any other relevant material to decide if you 'are more likely than not to get at least a Merit in Part III of the Mathematical Tripos'."
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/mathiii/information-part-ii-students-wishing-continue-part-iii

Thanks. Think I see a bit more clearly now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending