The Student Room Group

AQA or Pearson? Maths Exam Board Choice

Yoo. I'm going to be sitting my mathematics examination and I have a choice between AQA and Pearson boards. Now i know that people will say there is no difference, but why have the choice then? If there are any differences...Such as one being easier than the other in your experience please drop a reply :smile:.
I heard AQA had a bad rep for maths as their papers are much harder. So I would go with Pearson.
Original post by KingCamembert
I heard AQA had a bad rep for maths as their papers are much harder. So I would go with Pearson.

Ah...I'll have a read into that
Original post by Mr.JW
Yoo. I'm going to be sitting my mathematics examination and I have a choice between AQA and Pearson boards. Now i know that people will say there is no difference, but why have the choice then? If there are any differences...Such as one being easier than the other in your experience please drop a reply :smile:.

The content you have to know is identical for all examiners.
Schools take into account a range of factors when deciding on which to choose, including quality (and cost) of available exam practice and published study resources, support provided by the examiner, etc as well as any perception of the style and difficulty of exam papers.
Historically AQA were probably more challenging than Exexcel, I would say that situation has balanced out or even reversed for the new 9-1 GCSE. At the end of the day if one is genuinely harder than the other then grade boundaries will to ensure comparable outcomes regardless of which examiner is used.
Have a look at the exam papers and go with your gut feel.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest