The Student Room Group

Got my driving test tomorrow.. any tips?

Absolutely terrified. Was feeling confident about it at the weekend but my instructor spent my whole lesson today telling me how I'm gonna fail and now I'm not so sure, I feel like I'm pretty good at observation and mirrors but it will definitely be the thing that lets me down 😬
UPDATE: failed 😣 got 6 minors for mirrors while signalling, and f***ed up my bay park by going too fast. absolutely gutted but im gonna try again and practise that stupid observation
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Moved to learning to drive.

Best of luck with your test :smile:
I just passed my driving test today!! My first ever one, 3 minors :-) I suffer badly with anxiety and was unsure i would pass, but a few things helped. I’ve recently been prescribed beta-blockers (may not be for everyone) and i take Kalms daily to make me as steady as possible and reduce the physical effects of anxiety. Also, I chewed chewing gum throughout and did some breathing exercises (sounds silly but it works!!). And i talked to myself a lot😂 Before the test I only had a piece of toast and an apple so i didn’t feel lousy and tired. I also had the attitude of “i’ll try my best, it’s just another day!!” and i treated the examiner just like any other human and made small talk when I felt comfortable. Hope this makes sense and could maybe help you in some way. It’s not as hard as you may imagine!! And the time absolutely flies by!!! Good luck😄😄😄😄
I mean, I failed both of my tests and have my third booked for soon, but I can tell you that the test is actually... pretty chill. I have severe anxiety and my palms were sweating so much on the way to the test centre that you could see it dripping on the wheel (I won't sugar coat it, it was pretty d i s g u s t i n g) and this happened both times. My heart was racing in the waiting room.

I would really, really recommend rolling your window down a little. My first examiner asked me to open hers and I accidentally opened mine instead but I acted like I intended to do it so I left it like 2cm open. Best decision I made; the oxygen flow really calmed me down to the point where five minutes into the drive, I felt like I was just driving by myself. At some points, I even forgot that my examiner was sitting right there. Most importantly though, it aired out the sweaty palms :-) Took my second test today and the first thing I did was roll my window down slightly and it worked wonders.

Even if it's a little chilly, just open it slightly. It'll help.

Second, it really goes by in a flash. I swear to god at one point, i checked the time and it was 9:10 and the next time I checked (felt like 10 minutes later) it was like 9:40 and I was so mind blown. When I'm with my instructor, the hours drag, but trust me, your test will be over in the blink of an eye.

Aside from that, it's all really just basic stuff that you do with your instructor. If you can do what you did with your instructor, no problem at all. Good luck!
Original post by abbi_1996
I just passed my driving test today!! My first ever one, 3 minors :-) I suffer badly with anxiety and was unsure i would pass, but a few things helped. I’ve recently been prescribed beta-blockers (may not be for everyone) and i take Kalms daily to make me as steady as possible and reduce the physical effects of anxiety. Also, I chewed chewing gum throughout and did some breathing exercises (sounds silly but it works!!). And i talked to myself a lot😂 Before the test I only had a piece of toast and an apple so i didn’t feel lousy and tired. I also had the attitude of “i’ll try my best, it’s just another day!!” and i treated the examiner just like any other human and made small talk when I felt comfortable. Hope this makes sense and could maybe help you in some way. It’s not as hard as you may imagine!! And the time absolutely flies by!!! Good luck😄😄😄😄

thanks for the great reply!
my test is at 8:20 tomorrow morning so i will firstly drink a big cup of coffee! chewing gum sounds like a good idea i will keep that in mind. Ill also try ans chat to the examinor, its hard tho bc I sometimes think we are programmed too see the examinor as an alien whose sole purpose it to fail 51% of the candidates😂 hopefully I should be relaxed enough in the car, i have to drive 45 mins to get there so will give me time to relax and breathe properly
thanks v much 😅
Original post by Anygy
I mean, I failed both of my tests and have my third booked for soon, but I can tell you that the test is actually... pretty chill. I have severe anxiety and my palms were sweating so much on the way to the test centre that you could see it dripping on the wheel (I won't sugar coat it, it was pretty d i s g u s t i n g) and this happened both times. My heart was racing in the waiting room.

I would really, really recommend rolling your window down a little. My first examiner asked me to open hers and I accidentally opened mine instead but I acted like I intended to do it so I left it like 2cm open. Best decision I made; the oxygen flow really calmed me down to the point where five minutes into the drive, I felt like I was just driving by myself. At some points, I even forgot that my examiner was sitting right there. Most importantly though, it aired out the sweaty palms :-) Took my second test today and the first thing I did was roll my window down slightly and it worked wonders.

Even if it's a little chilly, just open it slightly. It'll help.

Second, it really goes by in a flash. I swear to god at one point, i checked the time and it was 9:10 and the next time I checked (felt like 10 minutes later) it was like 9:40 and I was so mind blown. When I'm with my instructor, the hours drag, but trust me, your test will be over in the blink of an eye.

Aside from that, it's all really just basic stuff that you do with your instructor. If you can do what you did with your instructor, no problem at all. Good luck!

ah thanks for the advice 😊
the window opening sounds like a great idea weather permitted!
what did you fail on, if you don't mind me asking?
Ignore what your instructor said, by taking the test you are ready for it. Don’t let them push you down.

I failed my first attempt (I almost hit a parked car) what I recommend is to focus on the driving. I found taking myself through what I was doing (particularly at roundabouts) helps. Also if you can, until you are ready for small talk imagine the examiner is not there and you are just in the car with your parents, they will understand that you are nervous. Finally If it gets all too much during the test ask if you can pull over and have a small break (and a drink of water) i highly doubt they will say no.
Original post by stanleyoldfield
ah thanks for the advice 😊
the window opening sounds like a great idea weather permitted!
what did you fail on, if you don't mind me asking?

Honestly, it was snowing today where I live and I still had the window down a bit :u:

I failed first time for stalling three consecutive times at uphill traffic lights + getting cut off by someone at a roundabout.

Today I failed for squeezing between oncoming traffic and a line of parked cars. Examiner told me that there wasn't enough room. But then if so, how on earth did I get through? Fascinating.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anygy
Honestly, it was snowing today where I live and I still had the window down a bit :u:

I failed first time for stalling three consecutive times at uphill traffic lights + getting cut off by someone at a roundabout.

Today I failed for squeezing between oncoming traffic and a line of parked cars. Examiner told me that there wasn't enough room. But then if so, how on earth did I get through? Fascinating.

what!!? thats stupid! it's up to you to decide if your car can fit somewhere they shouldn't fail you for that.
my test might be postponed tomorrow as it is giving snow here too 🙄
that's hard luck about today, hope you pass next time!
what!!? thats stupid! it's up to you to decide if your car can fit somewhere they shouldn't fail you for that.
my test might be postponed tomorrow as it is giving snow here too 🙄
that's hard luck about today, hope you pass next time!

You too! :cool:
Original post by Anygy

Darn that’s annoying. At least in my case the examiner had to steer me away.
Original post by Andrew97
Ignore what your instructor said, by taking the test you are ready for it. Don’t let them push you down.

I failed my first attempt (I almost hit a parked car) what I recommend is to focus on the driving. I found taking myself through what I was doing (particularly at roundabouts) helps. Also if you can, until you are ready for small talk imagine the examiner is not there and you are just in the car with your parents, they will understand that you are nervous. Finally If it gets all too much during the test ask if you can pull over and have a small break (and a drink of water) i highly doubt they will say no.

i too find it helps to talk myself through what I'm doing, especially on roundabouts!! hope the examinor won't think I'm a nutter lol. ill keep in mind what you said about breaks too
thanks for the help 😊
i too find it helps to talk myself through what I'm doing, especially on roundabouts!! hope the examinor won't think I'm a nutter lol. ill keep in mind what you said about breaks too
thanks for the help 😊

No worries, my driving instructor said it was good to talk yourself through it. Plus it’s better to be a nutter who talks to themselves and passes, than somebody who fails.
Original post by Andrew97
No worries, my driving instructor said it was good to talk yourself through it. Plus it’s better to be a nutter who talks to themselves and passes, than somebody who fails.

very true aha
Chill out and relax, i've only just passed my theory today :u:

Spent the past week talking to an alexa quiz thing which helped revise for it, lol

I'd say just chill
Good luck with your test.

Think about memes is the only advice I can give :biggrin:
how did it go??
Mines on the 27th of March, I just want to get it over and done with😩 I’m definitely gonna roll my window down a little bit cause my hands will end up looking like I just washed them
Original post by Aishasidd
Mines on the 27th of March, I just want to get it over and done with😩 I’m definitely gonna roll my window down a little bit cause my hands will end up looking like I just washed them

Mines on the 19th March
Original post by Aishasidd

Original post by Fighter365
Mines on the 19th March

Good luck to the pair of you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending