The Student Room Group

Solve the equation 1/x-2 - 1/x-1 =2. Give your answer to 2 d.p

Help. I was practicing algebraic fractions and i'm stuck. I need to use the -b formula I think but I cant as when I work it out fully I get 4x-6+3 which is not in the form ax+bx+c. :frown: Please help. I think I worked it out wrong but I don't know
Reply 1
Original post by lollolokjob
Help. I was practicing algebraic fractions and i'm stuck. I need to use the -b formula I think but I cant as when I work it out fully I get 4x-6+3 which is not in the form ax+bx+c. :frown: Please help. I think I worked it out wrong but I don't know

You should get 4x^2-6x+3 (which is I think what you tried to write). How is this not in the correct form for solving?
Reply 2
Original post by lollolokjob

You want to get rid of the fractions. Can u rewrite the LHS as one term. From there you should be able to spot how to get rid of the fraction.
Reply 3
Original post by StayWoke
You should get 4x^2-6x+3 (which is I think what you tried to write). How is this not in the correct form for solving?

If this is correct how do you get the x^2? Im sorry i cant see it anywhere

Quick Reply

Latest