The Student Room Group

What to wear for pre-med shadowing???

How much medicine do I need to know ? What do I wear? Can anyone give me tips and advice?!?!
Original post by Alexandraxx1
How much medicine do I need to know ? What do I wear? Can anyone give me tips and advice?!?!

What is "pre-med shadowing"? Do you mean work experience?
Yeahhhh, sorry I meant pre med school ;shadowing a doctor😫😂
Yeahhhh, sorry I meant pre med school ;shadowing a doctor😫😂

You definitely don't need to know any medicine. But you can ask the doctor you're shadowing questions about the patients and what they've come in with, their responsibilities, what they like and dislike about their job, what else they do apart from direct patient care etc.

As for what to wear, have the hospital told you anything in your acceptance letter?

@Volibear
Probably just wear smart shoes/trousers/shirt and a tie
They haven’t told us what to wear, but on some days I will be observing surgeries- will I be given scrubs to wear on these days?
Original post by COYS...TTID
Probably just wear smart shoes/trousers/shirt and a tie

I think OP is a female going by her username.

Ties have been verboten for a good number of years now.
They haven’t told us what to wear, but on some days I will be observing surgeries- will I be given scrubs to wear on these days?

If you're going into the operating theatre then yes definitely.
Original post by Democracy
I think OP is a female going by her username.

Ties have been verboten for a good number of years now.

Ah yes, forgot about the tie rule. As for OP being a girl, just wear something smart but not OTT
I’m a girl so if I just wore smart trousers and a shirt? What shoes?
Thankyou everyone
I’m a girl so if I just wore smart trousers and a shirt? What shoes?

No heels just flats, if you go into theatres they'll give you crocs and scrubs.

Take a notepad and pens. Don't ask unnecessary questions just because you feel the need to speak, doctors are people too so they know if you genuinely are interested in what you're asking. Ask what procedures or tests you're observing. Note down anything you see from anyone in healthcare - bad or good. Remember you will have to reflect on all this in your Personal statement and if you go to interview so make sure you write comprehensively as you will forget later on. Make sure you keep everything you know/see confidential so no information that could relate back to someone such as their name. Always be polite to any patient that you interact with and say thank you to them for the opportunity, not just the doctors because remember they have to agree with you seeing them as well.
Reply 12

Don't know about work experience. My daughter's a Med student. Shoes must be closed (not open toed), advise flat not heeled, because you're walking/standing a lot. She has to have short sleeves to avoid risk of infection. Hospitals get hot and if you're observing procedures make sure you have a good breakfast and keep well hydrated. It's a good tip to avoid feeling faint.

If you're going into observe surgery I'm sure they will advise you on any other requirements.

You won't need medical knowledge. Of course, if somebody asks why you're interested in medicine it's good to have an answer - not rehearsed, just what you think.

Have a look at a YouTube video about hand washing procedure for nurses. Not mandatory at all, but it may show you're taking it seriously if you know the importance of good hygiene.

Try to get an impression of the roles people undertake, how they interact as a team, pros and cons of the job, how they interact with patients, the overall patient experience etc. That's all relevant when you are interviewed for Med School. They will be more interested in what you learned from the experience rather than the fact you observed a world famous surgeon (for example). Hope that makes sense.

I'm sure it will be a great experience for you.
Look smart. Wear something with short sleeves because you're gonna have to roll them up (hygiene purposes). Comfortable shoes (gonna be walking for hours). Oh and don't forget to wear something that's easy to change from and put it in your bag(if you're intending on going to theatre). Try not to bring a huge bag though as it is gonna be a hassle. Drink plenty of water and have a proper breakfast as you may hardly get a chance for a break (long theatre hours).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending