The Student Room Group

Liking someone who's not the same race

It's hard/awkward liking someone who's not the same race as you because you don't know if they like people of your race and it's just not something you ask. I know even some people of my race don't like dating people within the race as well but it's more difficult when trying to figure out people's preferences who are not the same race. Any ideas on how to ask subtly or just figure it out
What race are you, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
What race are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Black lol
Reply 3
Some people have racial preferences but if you start being insecure about it then your chances of getting on a date becomes less likely.

Forget about race for now. You like a girl? Ask her out. If she doesn't like black guys then that's her issue, move on. Asking her what race she she finds attractive in guys is counter-productive since some people could make an exception. Plus it's a bit weird.
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
Some people have racial preferences but if you start being insecure about it then your chances of getting on a date becomes less likely.

Forget about race for now. You like a girl? Ask her out. If she doesn't like black guys then that's her issue, move on. Asking her what race she she finds attractive in guys is counter-productive since some people could make an exception. Plus it's a bit weird.

I'm a girl .... but Igu
Black lol

Just go for it man, plenty of girls like black guys! Don't let race pull you down! We are in the 21st century, you don't need her permission to like you and for you to like her back. You're like any other guy and you need to see yourself that way.
Just go for it man, plenty of girls like black guys! Don't let race pull you down! We are in the 21st century, you don't need her permission to like you and for you to like her back. You're like any other guy and you need to see yourself that way.

how do you know its a dude..
Original post by UWS

what am I missing how do you guys know its a bloke

OP are you male
Reply 8

I'm a girl but thanks lol
Reply 9
Original post by Bang Outta Order
what am I missing how do you guys know its a bloke

OP are you male

Everyone just keeps assuming I'm a guy but I'm female lol
Original post by Bang Outta Order
how do you know its a dude..

Good point ..

He sounded like a dude just like how you do?
Good point ..

He sounded like a dude just like how you do?

"he" is actually a she
Reply 12
It's hard/awkward liking someone who's not the same race as you because you don't know if they like people of your race and it's just not something you ask. I know even some people of my race don't like dating people within the race as well but it's more difficult when trying to figure out people's preferences who are not the same race. Any ideas on how to ask subtly or just figure it out

This is an interesting subject.

I really have a lot to say on the subject, so much so that it would definitely end up an "essay", but i've shortened it slightly..

so i'm just going to say that the more attractive a person is, the less racial discrimination/bias they will go through when it comes to dating. The less attractive a person is the more they are forced to date within own race. The reason why a lot of people discriminate by race when it comes to dating isn't because they hate [insert race here] it's because generally speaking they find that races facial features less attractive than they find their own race. The object of your desire may in fact be open to certain black people ...but might not be open to you because you have not met a certain looks threshold, the looks threshold is the point at which an individuals attractiveness has reached a high enough level that the other person is willing to be romantically open to that individual and overlook their typical preferences.

back in the day i used to hear a lot of white guys say stuff like "i'm not really attracted to any black girls ...but i'd totally do beyonce"

for this reason asking someone if they would date [insert race here] is not actually as useful as one is lead to believe because often when that person is answering that question with a "yes" they are picturing an individual of that race who is around the 75th+ or 80th+ percentile in terms of attractiveness..
Only a racist would be insecure about looking racist
In my experience you just need to approach them like any other guy/girl you’re attracted to, what race they are really shouldn’t be a concern. Yeah some people have a preference I guess but it’s not as a cut and dry as sexuality, a girl who has mostly dated white guys isn’t necessarily going to turn down a black guy and vice versa.

So I guess my advice to you is, don’t worry about it, don’t even bring race into it. Make your intentions clear and if he/she turns you down then it’s probably because they’re not that into you, not because you’re black.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending