The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths and getting into uni

I have had a long and troubled history with maths and have been doing it for way to dam long im actually in year 12 for the second time because of the bad grades in GCSE , i ended up passing in all exams in the end except math.
My main problem is that i want to do Media production or Digital media in uni well just anything to do with TV/Film/Social Media production.
Most universities ask for Maths GCSE before even asking what you want to do , i know my courses will not be heavy on the maths as i have studied them and looked at what they are all about . I have gotten a D in every real maths test i have ever done and i i still have time to get it even with the new system and the fact i have never studied this whole 1-9 ********, how urgent should i make getting maths ? should i put all my focus on trying to get my A in media and at least all merits in business and just hope i pass maths or put real effort because at this point i have tried everything from having a private tutor doing a test paper a week and revising for hours. Please give me answers from own experience and not just something your teacher said i need solid info.
Sorry for bad writing im really just typing informally :biggrin: .
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rickyaguiar2000
I have had a long and troubled history with maths and have been doing it for way to dam long im actually in year 12 for the second time because of the bad grades in GCSE , i ended up passing in all exams in the end except math.
My main problem is that i want to do Media production or Digital media in uni well just anything to do with TV/Film/Social Media production.
Most universities ask for Maths GCSE before even asking what you want to do , i know my courses will not be heavy on the maths as i have studied them and looked at what they are all about . I have gotten a D in every real maths test i have ever done and i i still have time to get it even with the new system and the fact i have never studied this whole 1-9 ********, how urgent should i make getting maths ? should i put all my focus on trying to get my A in media and at least all merits in business and just hope i pass maths or put real effort because at this point i have tried everything from having a private tutor doing a test paper a week and revising for hours. Please give me answers from own experience and not just something your teacher said i need solid info.

Your focus should be on A levels.

Check with your unis whether they require GCSE Maths or they will accept functional skills.

You will get better at maths if you are consistent and just do an hour a day of practice questions. There should be plenty of workbooks and sites you can use. Its not more important than A levels, but it is a hurdle you have to get over. Where you dont understand something then go on the maths forums and look at the stickies or just find a video form youtube to explain it. Try not to get paranoid, just keep practicing and then identifying where you went wrong and making fewer mistakes the next time. You arent far off getting a C.
Original post by Rickyaguiar2000

As tigger suggests, have you actually checked the GCSE requirements of the universities in which you might be interested? You might be pleasantly surprised eg York's Interactive Media degree says:

'We look for a good standard at GCSE or equivalent, across a range of high-quality subjects.'

No mention about Maths there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending