The Student Room Group

Starting again

How would student finance work if I was to restart uni at a different place doing a different course?
Would I be entitled to anything?
Original post by ImNicerThanYou
How would student finance work if I was to restart uni at a different place doing a different course?
Would I be entitled to anything?

Hi ImNicerThanYou,

Firstly, can you confirm how may years of study that you have previously undertaken and what is the name of the new course and university that you now wish to study at ?

Thanks

Louise
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi ImNicerThanYou,

Firstly, can you confirm how may years of study that you have previously undertaken and what is the name of the new course and university that you now wish to study at ?

Thanks

Louise

I am in the first year studying human biology. I would like to study something similar elsewhere.
I am in the first year studying human biology. I would like to study something similar elsewhere.

Hi ImNicerThanYou,

When calculating Student Finance, we take the length of your new course, plus 1 additional year, minus any previous years of study. This means that you would be fully funded for the new course but if you had to repeat a year you wouldn't get the tuition fee loan.

To give you an example, if the new course is 3 years long, the calculation would be:

New course (3)+1-previous study (1)= 3 years of funding for the new course.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi ImNicerThanYou,

When calculating Student Finance, we take the length of your new course, plus 1 additional year, minus any previous years of study. This means that you would be fully funded for the new course but if you had to repeat a year you wouldn't get the tuition fee loan.

To give you an example, if the new course is 3 years long, the calculation would be:

Kind regards,

John.

So the optional placement year is not possible for me?
So the optional placement year is not possible for me?

Hi ImNicerThanYou,

It would depend on if the placement year was included in the course structure. If you were on a course that included a placement year you would be able to be funded for the full course including the placement year.

Kind regards,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi ImNicerThanYou,

Kind regards,

John.

So the potential of postgraduate study is out of the question?
(edited 6 years ago)
So the potential of postgraduate study is out of the question?

Hi ImNicerThanYou,

There are different types of funding depending on which postgraduate course you wish to study and the level of qualification that you will gain

Is it something in particular you would like to do after you gain your degree?

Thanks Rona
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi ImNicerThanYou,

There are different types of funding depending on which postgraduate course you wish to study and the level of qualification that you will gain

Is it something in particular you would like to do after you gain your degree?

Thanks Rona

A masters degree
A masters degree

Hi ImNicerThanYou,

Will you be doing the masters after your undergraduate course?

What masters course will you be doing?

How long will the course last?

Thanks

Catherine
If i were to do a masters, it would be after the undergraduate. The masters would be some form of biology ie- biomedical science, biochemistry. I am planning to transfer to a different uni, to either start at year 1 or continue into year2
A masters degree

Hi ImNicerThanYou,

After you gain your degree you can be confident that you can still apply for a Postgraduate Loan to undertake a Masters qualification.

I can only advise you on the support available currently, you can check on the gov website nearer the time you wish to study. Here is a link,

http://bit.ly/2C5w9x8

Postgraduate Loans (PGL) are:

non-means tested

paid directly to the student

a contribution towards total costs (can be used for fees or maintenance at the students discretion)

2018/19AY - £10,609 over the duration of the course

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending