The Student Room Group

What happens if you have burger and chips every night

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feastful
There's nothing wrong with treating yourself, however right now you are crossing the threshold of "treats" and into general poor diet.

If you're going to eat any high calorie food, then make sure you eat it for breakfast (and certainly no later than lunch). This at least will give your body the time to process all the calories better (or think of meals like this: Breakfast= power yourself up for a long day ahead, Lunch= keep yourself going maintain balanced energy levels, supper= time to wind down the calories/sugar/caffeine etc for the day).

Burgers aren't actually a very good source of protein because they have so much added fat and starch etc.

If your diet is lacking in protein (or you are struggling to find ways to get protein into your diet in general), then I really recommend getting a cookbook like this one of this ones below.

100 High Protein Lunches:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Protein-Lunches-Louise-Kang/dp/0995741239/ref=sr_1_19?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857529&sr=1-19&keywords=high+protein

High Protein Sweet Treats:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Protein-Sweet-Treats-Pancakes/dp/0995741212/ref=sr_1_22?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857529&sr=1-22&keywords=high+protein

Plant-Protein Recipes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plant-Protein-Recipes-That-Youll-Love/dp/1507204523/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857673&sr=1-6&keywords=budget+protein

Budget cooking:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiny-Budget-Cooking-Saving-Tasted/dp/1509858105/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857832&sr=1-1&keywords=easy+budget+cooking

(And if you're strapped for time), Five Ingredients 10 minutes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Ingredients-Minutes-Jules-Clancy/dp/0718158741/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517857932&sr=1-6&keywords=10+minute+cooking

Etc.

There's a whole world of fantastic cookbooks out there!

I myself used to struggle with meal idea's and dietary diversity in the past, but ever since I invested in some decent cookery books, it hasn't been any problem at all (and I have saved a lot of money and found it much easier to stay slim). If you don't have much money to spend on books too, there are thousands of secondhand cookbooks that can be snapped up on Ebay or Amazon or other places for £1 or less.

Thanks I appreciate that. Definitely need some meal inspiration. You'll be pleased to know I didn't order a burger tonight even though I am still craving one. I reckon this is because I cut out meat for a while, I now feel unsatisfied unless my meal is ridiculously carby or contains meat.
Reply 21
Wait.. you're shameful_burrito?
So glad I stumbled upon this post! I'm experiencing the same problem, and the thing is, I'm so thin people can mistake me for being anorexic so I can use junk food as an excuse to gain weight (doesn't work lol).

Eating too much takeaway has already started taking a toll on me. I'm getting glasses this Saturday. DK if they're related, but... Also, I sometimes have pain in my heart.

Please, stop while you're ahead! You're gonna ruin your body. :frown:
I hate that dude, he's my ex. Alas, you'll never know the tale behind our relationship since you ain't him. :frown:
Original post by Sidra.I
So glad I stumbled upon this post! I'm experiencing the same problem, and the thing is, I'm so thin people can mistake me for being anorexic so I can use junk food as an excuse to gain weight (doesn't work lol).

Eating too much takeaway has already started taking a toll on me. I'm getting glasses this Saturday. DK if they're related, but... Also, I sometimes have pain in my heart.

Please, stop while you're ahead! You're gonna ruin your body. :frown:

Thanks this is what I needed. Yeah I've always been really skinny, used to think it was just fast metabolism but I think it was also because if I don't like something I won't eat it. So I can be quite fussy and get bored of stuff and end up just living off crisps and rubbish snacks. Since being at uni and ordering takeaways all the time and actually eating a normalish amount I'm still very slim but I'm a healthier size. Probably because I now also workout a bit. So yeah for quite a long time I've been fine eating it because gaining weight would be a good thing. But I guess there are much healthier ways I could be doing so.
You are what you eat!
I tend to get called a p*ssy
and you know what my response is?

Read the first sentance :colone:
Reply 26
You get PHAT
You get fat unfortunately :frown:
Original post by Miss.Unknow
You get fat unfortunately :frown:

Since second year uni I've been regularly ordering takeaways. It's only these past couple of months where it's been most nights. Still not fat and if anything I'd like to put on weight. I'm just starting to get a bit more concerned about internal health.
My sh*t is looking great ngl.
you get VERY smelly poo... ewww
Lol you see this is the problem, I haven't witnessed any negative side effects internally or externally but I'm guessing it is unhealthy.
das ist wiederlich
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is, I'm not putting on weight and I haven't seen any problems with my skin or bowels. I don't eat a great deal throughout the day to be honest, often cereal, light lunch, fruit, various snacks. That's probably why I crave such big unhealthy meals in the evening because my body doesn't get enough throughout the day.

Even though not visible, you are ****ing up your cholesterol and slowly killing yourself, if you really are eating junk food everyday. I would stop now, if you don't want to die of a heart attack at age 30.
Lol you see this is the problem, I haven't witnessed any negative side effects internally or externally but I'm guessing it is unhealthy.

if/when you wake up in 5 years and suddenly have marshmallows for ankles and chewing gum for a heart ...then you'll know
Original post by Chaz254
Even though not visible, you are ****ing up your cholesterol and slowly killing yourself, if you really are eating junk food everyday. I would stop now, if you don't want to die of a heart attack at age 30.

Yeah I know, heart problems scare me the most I think. Don't worry I'm not going to continue. It's just hard to not give in. I think I might calculate how much money I've spent on takeaways and that might be enough to put me off.
Reply 36
For the past month or so I've been ordering burger and chips most nights and now it's the only thing I crave. Normal dinners that I used to cook just don't compare. I often go for gbk burgers, how bad on my health is this?

Diabetes
It's finding the balance between not eating, or eating a load of junk food that tastes nice. A normal diet doesn't satisfy or excite me. When I see my housemate's dinners they just look so boring. I suppose I need a shake up and need to find some recipes,
Just worked out I spent £539.10 on takeaways from jan 2017-feb 2018. Jan 2017 was when I started ordering takeaways on a reasonably regular basis. Pretty dreadful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending