The Student Room Group

21yo Insurance Costs

Another thread about insurance I know...can't seem to find any answers online. I'm about to turn 21 with 2 years NCD and no points, wanting to upgrade from a 1.2 Clio to preferably a diesel however am struggling to get insured on anything half decent for under £1500.

Quotes I've been receiving (with a 15+ year NCD named driver):

1.6 petrol Fiesta (100bhp) - £950
1.8 petrol Astra (150bhp) - £2900
1.9 diesel Golf (103bhp) - £1600
1.9 diesel Astra (148bhp) - £2700
2.0 diesel Mondeo (120bhp) - £2000
1.6 turbo petrol Corsa VXR (190bhp) - £1500
2.0 petrol Fiesta ST (150bhp) - £1500

Absolutely baffled by it, can't see any correlation at all it just seems completely random. Have heard by some people you need to work your way up with more powerful cars (so get a 100bhp car for a few months, then a 120bhp car, then a 140bhp car etc.) but not sure if this is true.

Any other 21yo males also having the same problems or possibly found a solution that I'm somehow missing? Thanks.
Reply 1
Insurance quotes can look random at first look but there'll be some method to it in their algorithms.

Where are you getting the quotes from? I found that comparison sites were the cheapest, I kept generating new quotes on the three of them every week or so and gradually the quotes on my M140i came down from about £2,500 to the £1,500 which I ultimately went with (no clue why). I was 21 when I got that car last year too.

I have also heard that getting lots of quotes can make it go up though...

Edit: Sorry, I realise my post is probably no help to you whatsoever, apologies haha
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by stirkee
Insurance quotes can look random at first look but there'll be some method to it in their algorithms.

Where are you getting the quotes from? I found that comparison sites were the cheapest, I kept generating new quotes on the three of them every week or so and gradually the quotes on my M140i came down from about £2,500 to the £1,500 which I ultimately went with (no clue why). I was 21 when I got that car last year too.

I have also heard that getting lots of quotes can make it go up though...

Edit: Sorry, I realise my post is probably no help to you whatsoever, apologies haha

So you got insured on an M140i for the price they want from me for a 103bhp diesel Golf lol. Tried comparison sites and Admiral, have only done the quotes today and changed the registration to the separate cars so amount of quotes shouldn't be an issue.

I have noticed the quotes differing week to week though, I viewed a 150bhp Audi A3 2.0 TDI a month back and got a quote of £1700 to insure that weirdly.
Reply 3
Original post by DKNess
So you got insured on an M140i for the price they want from me for a 103bhp diesel Golf lol. Tried comparison sites and Admiral, have only done the quotes today and changed the registration to the separate cars so amount of quotes shouldn't be an issue.

I have noticed the quotes differing week to week though, I viewed a 150bhp Audi A3 2.0 TDI a month back and got a quote of £1700 to insure that weirdly.

Exactly, its very strange.

If you want some extra background info, I was 21 when I got the quote: license for 4 years, 2 years no claims, speed awareness course within last 2 years, business use, two named drivers with 25+ years no claims, keeping car on my drive.

So I don't think its too dissimilar to your situation. Some of it comes down to where you live though.

My quote eventually came from comparethemarket and from Admiral as well.
Reply 4
Original post by stirkee
Exactly, its very strange.

If you want some extra background info, I was 21 when I got the quote: license for 4 years, 2 years no claims, speed awareness course within last 2 years, business use, two named drivers with 25+ years no claims, keeping car on my drive.

So I don't think its too dissimilar to your situation. Some of it comes down to where you live though.

My quote eventually came from comparethemarket and from Admiral as well.

I live in a fairly quiet suburban area so who knows. At this rate I think I'm just going to buy a hot(ish) hatch, mk6 Fiesta ST for £1500 insurance seems like my best bet but I ideally wanted a sensible, cheap to run diesel hatchback. Like you said its very strange.
Original post by DKNess
I live in a fairly quiet suburban area so who knows. At this rate I think I'm just going to buy a hot(ish) hatch, mk6 Fiesta ST for £1500 insurance seems like my best bet but I ideally wanted a sensible, cheap to run diesel hatchback. Like you said its very strange.

Long shot but a 1 series perhaps?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending