The Student Room Group

Brexit is an idiotic mistake - calendar week 5 summary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Trinculo
There is no price not worth paying to be free of the EU.

Thats easy for you to say when you're not the one getting laid off when the economy goes tits up.
Original post by Napp
Thats easy for you to say when you're not the one getting laid off when the economy goes tits up.

The same arguments were used by Eurocultists for monetary union. If Britain didn't join the single currency, we'd be isolated and in abject poverty. It was a nonsensical argument and has been not only proven untrue, but quite the reverse. There are countries trapped in poverty by the Euro.

The whole EU religion is based on the idea that life outside the EU is some kind of nuclear wasteland, and that not being in the EU is catastrophic. We know this to be nonsense as there are plenty of countries who are not in the EU and get along just fine.

Also, before the EU - Britain was fine. British people travelled to Europe, worked in Europe and studied in Europe. Europeans travelled to Britain, studied in Britain and worked in Britain. For the whole of our time in the EU the overwhelming majority of students coming to the UK has been from the far east and not from the EU - ergo there is no reason to believe this would be affected.

Very few British students study in Europe other than on Erasmus. The US is by far and away the most popular destination for UK students, followed by Australia.

The whole idea of the EU being central to the survival of any given nation is a myth, peddled by the EU and its minions, when it's obvious by the existence of prosperous non-EU countries that it is entirely possible.
Reply 42
The same arguments were used by Eurocultists for monetary union. If Britain didn't join the single currency, we'd be isolated and in abject poverty. It was a nonsensical argument and has been not only proven untrue, but quite the reverse. There are countries trapped in poverty by the Euro.

The whole EU religion is based on the idea that life outside the EU is some kind of nuclear wasteland, and that not being in the EU is catastrophic. We know this to be nonsense as there are plenty of countries who are not in the EU and get along just fine.

Also, before the EU - Britain was fine. British people travelled to Europe, worked in Europe and studied in Europe. Europeans travelled to Britain, studied in Britain and worked in Britain. For the whole of our time in the EU the overwhelming majority of students coming to the UK has been from the far east and not from the EU - ergo there is no reason to believe this would be affected.

Very few British students study in Europe other than on Erasmus. The US is by far and away the most popular destination for UK students, followed by Australia.

The whole idea of the EU being central to the survival of any given nation is a myth, peddled by the EU and its minions, when it's obvious by the existence of prosperous non-EU countries that it is entirely possible.

I was more referring to the Brexit ministers desire for a hard Brexit which would result in mass jobs losses if done..
Original post by Napp
I was more referring to the Brexit ministers desire for a hard Brexit which would result in mass jobs losses if done..

We don't know that. Like I said, all the same things were said about monetary union by the same people. They all said that not being in the Euro would be catastrophic for Britain. It wasn't.

Let me ask you this - do you think Greece, Cyprus and Portugal should leave the EU?
Reply 44
We don't know that. Like I said, all the same things were said about monetary union by the same people. They all said that not being in the Euro would be catastrophic for Britain. It wasn't.

Let me ask you this - do you think Greece, Cyprus and Portugal should leave the EU?

You're arguing something completely different from the point i'm making...
It is an undisputable fact that if we end up with a hard Brexit and the tariffs that involves it will cost a lot of people a lot of jobs - no one can seriously deny this, especially given that the EU is by far our largest market.

I'm not entirely sure why you're asking me this?Should they leave the EU? I wouldnt say so. Should they leave the Euro? Yes.
Original post by Napp
You're arguing something completely different from the point i'm making...
It is an undisputable fact that if we end up with a hard Brexit and the tariffs that involves it will cost a lot of people a lot of jobs - no one can seriously deny this, especially given that the EU is by far our largest market.

It's not undeniable. Nobody has done it before. We don't know that it will cost jobs. We don't know that it will have any impact at all. All we have is a huge number of rabidly pro-EU scare stories.

I'm not entirely sure why you're asking me this?Should they leave the EU? I wouldnt say so. Should they leave the Euro? Yes.

There's no evidence that it is possible to leave the single currency without leaving the EU. The EU is funny like that - how they tell everyone who is a member exactly what they can and cannot do.

These countries are in a never ending cycle of poverty. How much worse could life outside the EU be?
Trinculo is of course totally right. The EU Myth is just that, a myth peddled endlessly by their witless lackeys as is evident on various threads in this forum.

Greece was left to swing in the wind. Its economy absolutely shot.

When the first crash happened the good old EU came in to bail it out, only what did they do? They bailed out the banksters and financiers and corporate cronies and left the real Greek people to swing in the wind. Many Greeks had their life savings tied up in these people. Many lost everything. One Greek who lost 100,000 simply killed himself in desperation.

Yes, Greece and other EU member states should have left the EU a long time ago. Problem is once you are in a totalitarian state it's not easy to exit. The EU's aims to punish Britain and make life as hard for them as possible during our exit is all the proof one needs that the EU is a federalist totalitarian state run by power mad megalomanics.

Britain should never have been taken into the EU in the first place and most certainly not without a full referendum on the issue. It was done by stealth, fraud and skulduggery by Common Purpose stooges who have infiltrated every facet of society.

As the earlier poster said:

There is no price not worth paying to be rid of the EU
Reply 47
It's not undeniable. Nobody has done it before. We don't know that it will cost jobs. We don't know that it will have any impact at all. All we have is a huge number of rabidly pro-EU scare stories.

If tariffs come back in [which they will under a hard brexit] it will cost jobs - this isnt a complex issue it is basic economics. Take for instance farmers who if they try and export to the EU will face tarrifs of up to 80pc.
I'm not saying different jobs might not be created further down the line if new markets are exploited but in the near term almost everyone is in agreement [including the government] this will cost jobs.
As opposed to blind optimism based on wishful thinking by the Brexstremists? With all due respect but there is not a shred of evidence to say this will be pleasant in the near term. Have you not noticed all the people beating the drum hardest for Brexit are the ones with nothing to loose? :rolleyes: That fossil Mogg and his trusty sidekick johnson are both repulsively rich in their own right.

There's no evidence that it is possible to leave the single currency without leaving the EU. The EU is funny like that - how they tell everyone who is a member exactly what they can and cannot do.

These countries are in a never ending cycle of poverty. How much worse could life outside the EU be?

Why are we debating the situation in these med countries might I ask? I fail to see the relevance to the UK?
Original post by Napp
in the near term almost everyone is in agreement [including the government] this will cost jobs.

Any divorce comes with pain, that's a given. No-one, not even BrExiteers were under the impression that breaking away from a totalitarian establishment would be easy or painless.

Nevertheless it is the right thing to do.

There are always casualties in any major change, such is life. If you turn out to be one of them, I sympathise, but get with the bigger picture because being a free nation is more important than any person's job.
Reply 49
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Any divorce comes with pain, that's a given. No-one, not even BrExiteers were under the impression that breaking away from a totalitarian establishment would be easy or painless.

Despite the repeated claims that we would be infinitely better off ? :rolleyes:

Nevertheless it is the right thing to do.

In your opinion.
There are always casualties in any major change, such is life. If you turn out to be one of them, I sympathise, but get with the bigger picture because being a free nation is more important than any person's job.

I feel the people who lose their jobs would somewhat disagree with that sentiment not to mention have something rather uncharitable to say with your faux-sympathies.
Original post by Napp
If tariffs come back in [which they will under a hard brexit] it will cost jobs - this isnt a complex issue it is basic economics. Take for instance farmers who if they try and export to the EU will face tarrifs of up to 80pc.
I'm not saying different jobs might not be created further down the line if new markets are exploited but in the near term almost everyone is in agreement [including the government] this will cost jobs.
As opposed to blind optimism based on wishful thinking by the Brexstremists? With all due respect but there is not a shred of evidence to say this will be pleasant in the near term. Have you not noticed all the people beating the drum hardest for Brexit are the ones with nothing to loose? :rolleyes: That fossil Mogg and his trusty sidekick johnson are both repulsively rich in their own right.

This is a reason to be leaving the EU. We don't want their protectionism. This is why I think it's all a bluff. The UK is an enormous market for the EU and Germany, France, Czech Republic etc have a lot more to think about and are a lot more accountable than people like Barnier. The Germans won't want crazy tariffs to send cars to the UK. They don't want us buying Japanese.

Why are we debating the situation in these med countries might I ask? I fail to see the relevance to the UK?

The point is that the whole basis of the EU being a panacea is based on the idea that you are better in the EU than out of it. These countries are in the EU and facing ruin. If it's not true that countries are better off generally in the EU, that's a start and we can look to the future from there.
Original post by Napp
I feel the people who lose their jobs would somewhat disagree with that sentiment not to mention have something rather uncharitable to say with your faux-sympathies.

And that's fine, it's just short-sighted knee-jerk reaction to changes in their personal life. There are bigger problems to think about, problems about our basic freedoms and fundamental values.

For example how would you balance a few people's jobs with say the loss of our right to free speech?
EU negotiators have it pretty easy then. They'll tell the Brits to stuff their dreams of being able to implement new trade deals the day after any transition period ends. They'll tie the UK to the EU market like any other EU member, then have the UK accept a "deal" with the EU on the day before the transition ends which sees the Brits lose out. Not only is it a means of weakening the UK's negotiating power with the other big powers, but also it'll allow OP and other pro-EU trolls to laugh up their own arses.
Reply 53
This is a reason to be leaving the EU. We don't want their protectionism. This is why I think it's all a bluff. The UK is an enormous market for the EU and Germany, France, Czech Republic etc have a lot more to think about and are a lot more accountable than people like Barnier. The Germans won't want crazy tariffs to send cars to the UK. They don't want us buying Japanese.

Why don't we? it's EU protectionism that has kept our limp **** steel industry just above water - without it would have been killed off years ago.
I feel you're over valuing the importance of the UK. Granted it is a sacrifice they dont want to make but from Berlins perspective its more important to keep the EU united than to give the British a sweetheart deal they don't deserve.

The point is that the whole basis of the EU being a panacea is based on the idea that you are better in the EU than out of it. These countries are in the EU and facing ruin. If it's not true that countries are better off generally in the EU, that's a start and we can look to the future from there.

Yes but thats not exactly solely because of the EU is it? Thats a rather reductionist view to take as best. If they hadnt engaged in systematic fraud and lies there wouldnt be such a problem. At any rate I see your point but to solely blame the EU for their woes is wrong.
Reply 54
And that's fine, it's just short-sighted knee-jerk reaction to changes in their personal life. There are bigger problems to think about, problems about our basic freedoms and fundamental values.

For example how would you balance a few people's jobs with say the loss of our right to free speech?

Well seeing as if anyone is going to strip the right of freedom of speech it is London not Brussels i'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
Mmmhmmm pray tell what basic freedoms and fundamental values you've lost because of the EU?
any way in your odd hypothetical - I feel people would rather be in gainful employment with slightly curtailed rights than being homeless but able to scream in the street about it.
Original post by Napp
Why don't we? it's EU protectionism that has kept our limp **** steel industry just above water - without it would have been killed off years ago.
I feel you're over valuing the importance of the UK. Granted it is a sacrifice they dont want to make but from Berlins perspective its more important to keep the EU united than to give the British a sweetheart deal they don't deserve.

If the UK is not that important, why are they so desperate for us to not leave, and so desperate to try and punish us for doing so?

The UK is important. It's one of the most important countries in the world - certainly in Europe. It's one of the wealthiest countries in the world - has a GDP greater than all of OPEC put together. They need our money, but hate us for just about everything else. Why do we need that kind of toxic politics and why should we surrender our national interest to the EU?

Yes but thats not exactly solely because of the EU is it? Thats a rather reductionist view to take as best. If they hadnt engaged in systematic fraud and lies there wouldnt be such a problem. At any rate I see your point but to solely blame the EU for their woes is wrong.

The point isn't what caused Greek meltdown - and absolutely there is more than enough blame to go around there - but the fact that their membership of the EU renders them incapable of doing anything about it. Greece has ceased to be a nation state in any real sense. This is my primary objection to the EU. That is subsumes political power for itself and has no aim other than continual enlargement in both geography and political power. This is absolutely obvious.
Original post by Napp
pray tell what basic freedoms and fundamental values you've lost because of the EU?

It's more the freedoms will ultimately be lost if we were to stay in. Britain has some temporary concessions against certain EU directives. For example, we don't (yet) have the Euro but make no mistake, the EU Treaties, to which we are signed up mandate that we must accept the Euro. The only question therefore is long would the EU permit us to maintain our Sterling before they enforce the Euro on us?

More worryingly though, and to properly answer your question, there is the fundamental issue of the EU's desire to implement their own justice values which wholly contravene Britain's most hallowed Common Law principles.

I am talking of course about "Habeus Corpus", our right to be "Innocent until proven guilty". Every UK citizen expects and knows that they can not be arrested and detained for any significant length of time without due cause and some form of evidence. They also know that they must be given a fair trial.

It's no secret that the totalitarian EU wants to bring in "Corpus Juris" which is completely the other way around. This allows them to seize and arrest citizens without a shred of evidence and to detain them for months or even years. It's a dystopian nightmare scenario and whilst
some people have obstructed its implementation thus far, it's clear that the EU is already heavily engaged in this totalitarian methodology.
I will post here the same info I posted for someone else on another thread.

House Of Commons

Foreign Affairs Committee

The FCO's Human Rights Work 2011
Third Report of Session 2012-2013

Pg 64

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...B7Dp8Q6AEIFDAA

"Key Findings in FTI's report were that:

- Approx 21% of the total EU prison population is in pre-trial detention and over a quarter of those detainees are foreign nationals

- Across the EU, people who have not been convicted of any crime are being detained without good reason for months or even years, often in appalling conditions that make trial preparation impossible

- Europe's over-use of pre-trial detention costs EU countries approximately EUR5 billion every year"

This stuff completely opposes Britain's fundamental principles of fairness and freedom and justice. The end of free speech pretty much comes as part of the package with such measures.

So, thanks, but I'm entirely happy to be leaving the EU cesspit and encroaching totalitarian regime.
Reply 57
If the UK is not that important, why are they so desperate for us to not leave, and so desperate to try and punish us for doing so?

The UK is important. It's one of the most important countries in the world - certainly in Europe. It's one of the wealthiest countries in the world - has a GDP greater than all of OPEC put together. They need our money, but hate us for just about everything else. Why do we need that kind of toxic politics and why should we surrender our national interest to the EU?

I didnt say it wasnt important, I said you're over stating its importance.
How are they trying to punish us exactly?
This is all starting to sound like you're taking it overly personally and you're implying that Britain is somehow in the right here? The EU might be being cocks in this but Britain is being far worse - I dont recall the Germans referring to our evil past unlike several of our politicians calling them Nazis.

The point isn't what caused Greek meltdown - and absolutely there is more than enough blame to go around there - but the fact that their membership of the EU renders them incapable of doing anything about it. Greece has ceased to be a nation state in any real sense. This is my primary objection to the EU. That is subsumes political power for itself and has no aim other than continual enlargement in both geography and political power. This is absolutely obvious.

Do i need to point out that one of the biggest drivers for EU enlargement was Britain... Who do you think pushed so hard for turkey to try and join?
I get your objections to the EU, even if i disagree with them, but this continued fibbing about the EU being some kind of dictatorship whose raison d'etre is to crush dissent is at best fatuous and wrong.
Reply 58
It's more the freedoms will ultimately be lost if we were to stay in. Britain has some temporary concessions against certain EU directives. For example, we don't (yet) have the Euro but make no mistake, the EU Treaties, to which we are signed up mandate that we must accept the Euro. The only question therefore is long would the EU permit us to maintain our Sterling before they enforce the Euro on us?

I'd probably give this point more consideration if it wasnt rank conjecture.
What freedoms will you actually loose sorry? Please give actual freedoms not guesses.

More worryingly though, and to properly answer your question, there is the fundamental issue of the EU's desire to implement their own justice values which wholly contravene Britain's most hallowed Common Law principles.

Pray tell what EU law you actually disagree with and which ones fly in the face of British law?

I am talking of course about "Habeus Corpus", our right to be "Innocent until proven guilty". Every UK citizen expects and knows that they can not be arrested and detained for any significant length of time without due cause and some form of evidence. They also know that they must be given a fair trial.

Last time I checked the French and Germans werent arbitrarily locking people up without trial.

It's no secret that the totalitarian EU wants to bring in "Corpus Juris" which is completely the other way around. This allows them to seize and arrest citizens without a shred of evidence and to detain them for months or even years. It's a dystopian nightmare scenario and whilst
some people have obstructed its implementation thus far, it's clear that the EU is already heavily engaged in this totalitarian methodology.
I will post here the same info I posted for someone else on another thread.

I'm curious what is your actual issue with it? Aside from a sentimental attachment to British law how will it negatively effect you?
No, thats conjecture again.
You keep calling the EU totalitarian but you forget we're under one of the most authoritarian and totalitarian regimes in generations in Britain. Do you simply like our mini dictatorship because 'its british ergo it must be good' ?

This stuff completely opposes Britain's fundamental principles of fairness and freedom and justice. The end of free speech pretty much comes as part of the package with such measures.

So, thanks, but I'm entirely happy to be leaving the EU cesspit and encroaching totalitarian regime.

I'd argue we dis away with those principles after 9/11. If not before during the troubles. I will be willing to vaguely take your point [if you would stop confusing individualcountries misdeeds with that of the EU as a whole] but you seem to be over looking Britains own grievous short comings.
It is westminster, not brussels, who are doing away with our free speech
Westminster who deport our citizens to be raped in america
Westminster who supports the torture of our citizens and detention without charge or legal council.

Make what point you like but please cut out the hypocrisy.
Original post by Napp
I didnt say it wasnt important, I said you're over stating its importance.
How are they trying to punish us exactly?
This is all starting to sound like you're taking it overly personally and you're implying that Britain is somehow in the right here? The EU might be being cocks in this but Britain is being far worse - I dont recall the Germans referring to our evil past unlike several of our politicians calling them Nazis.

I don't know where the personal thing came from. You've made that up for no obvious reason.

It's impossible to say if Britain is in the objective "right" or not because that will vary on whether or not the person being asked is pro- or anti- EU.

Absolutely they're against us. Look at the language of Barnier and Verhofstadt. It couldn't be more plain that they want to try and terrify people in Britain into some kind of anti-democratic U-turn, and also terrorise the rest of Europe into never trying to leave their precious EU.

Do i need to point out that one of the biggest drivers for EU enlargement was Britain... Who do you think pushed so hard for turkey to try and join?
I get your objections to the EU, even if i disagree with them, but this continued fibbing about the EU being some kind of dictatorship whose raison d'etre is to crush dissent is at best fatuous and wrong.

Wait.
"Fibbing" about the EU being a dictatorship and trying to crush dissent?

That is the one part of this whole debate which can absolutely not be denied. We can argue forever about whether or not the EU is advantageous or not for Britain - but the EU being a blatant self-serving power grab and dictatorship is absolutely plain. We have gone within a generation from a body that used to sort out farming subsidies and fishing quotas in a dozen countries, to a body that has supranational judicial authority over nearly 30 countries, complete fiscal and monetary control, effective control over borders and now its own army.

The same body that absolutely crushes dissent - look at what happens when a member state votes against the EU in any kind of legal or constitutional vote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending