The Student Room Group

Doing 35 in a 30 past a hand held speed camera

This morning I was driving through my village doing 30 (the limit) - at the end of my village it is downhill as it enters into a 40 limit. Going downhill mixed with going into the 40 zone, I obviously sped up slightly and I noticed I passed 2 men in hi-vis jackets (not police uniforms?) one of which was holding a CCTV looking camera, standing next to the 40 sign. I think I was going about 35.

Just wondering what to expect really, as some say they should stop you on the spot and some say they will send a letter over the next two weeks.
Reply 1
I doubt anything will happen at all.
Original post by Bio 7
I doubt anything will happen at all.

I really hope so! Safe to say this has worked as a lesson to not speed up too early :frown:
Firstly, your car speedo will be off. Different cars, different ratios. And secondly in that situation they just won't be sending anything through
Realistically, I think you'll have to wait and see.

Your description of hi-viz bit not police jackets sounds more like a community speedwatch initiative. https://www.communityspeedwatch.co.uk

Many local police forces publish the sites of their enforcement cameras on a monthly basis. I would have thought that if you check those and your village is not listed, you can assume it's the speedwatch people.

Obviously, speed limits are there for a reason. Best not to kill people if you can avoid it, etc...
Original post by Joshyouare
Firstly, your car speedo will be off. Different cars, different ratios. And secondly in that situation they just won't be sending anything through

I have noticed that my speedo is off when it comes to the electric '30 signs', I seriously hope it's all okay - I'm at the end of my 2 year provisional tether after passing the test so the points are doubled and you lose your licence at 6 points :frown: It's so frustrating, I always go 30 in a 30 and I feel strongly about doing so :s-smilie:
Original post by hannahdlaura
I have noticed that my speedo is off when it comes to the electric '30 signs', I seriously hope it's all okay - I'm at the end of my 2 year provisional tether after passing the test so the points are doubled and you lose your licence at 6 points :frown: It's so frustrating, I always go 30 in a 30 and I feel strongly about doing so :s-smilie:

Wouldn't worry about it whatsoever, I go past speed cameras at 35 ish on my speedo because firstly it's off and secondly they don't send tickets to under 33 i think it is on a 30
Original post by Chirpychops
Realistically, I think you'll have to wait and see.

Your description of hi-viz bit not police jackets sounds more like a community speedwatch initiative. https://www.communityspeedwatch.co.uk

Many local police forces publish the sites of their enforcement cameras on a monthly basis. I would have thought that if you check those and your village is not listed, you can assume it's the speedwatch people.

Obviously, speed limits are there for a reason. Best not to kill people if you can avoid it, etc...

Thank you, I'll have a look now! As I said to another person on here, it's just so frustrating because I always go 25-30 in a 30 as I have strong opinions on them (the whole 'you can live if you get hit at 30' thing). I was literally about 3 metres from the 40 zone too. I can at least confirm this has served as a lesson to not speed up too early :frown:
Original post by Joshyouare
Wouldn't worry about it whatsoever, I go past speed cameras at 35 ish on my speedo because firstly it's off and secondly they don't send tickets to under 33 i think it is on a 30

Thank you so much for easing the worry, I've been so anxious all day! Fingers crossed
This morning I was driving through my village doing 30 (the limit) - at the end of my village it is downhill as it enters into a 40 limit. Going downhill mixed with going into the 40 zone, I obviously sped up slightly and I noticed I passed 2 men in hi-vis jackets (not police uniforms?) one of which was holding a CCTV looking camera, standing next to the 40 sign. I think I was going about 35.

Just wondering what to expect really, as some say they should stop you on the spot and some say they will send a letter over the next two weeks.

Remember, your speedo over-reads meaning that your actual speed was less than 35, and the police tend to give some leniency of a couple of mph for driver and equipment error.

In summary, you have absolutely nothing to worry about :smile:

Just tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over to Cars and motoring.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think you're fine, there's a bit of leniency shown. Plus you aren't the sort of driver they're looking to catch, they're looking for the boy racer and big-man audi driver doing 40 in the 30, then putting their foot down to 50-60 on the approach and past the 40 sign.
Iv'e known people get points on their licence for going 32 in a 30. Best case is to wait and see.

they usually send a letter
I really hope so! Safe to say this has worked as a lesson to not speed up too early :frown:

speeding is dangerous, you need to be more careful.
Reply 14
Original post by Myriam18
speeding is dangerous, you need to be more careful.

~32mph actual in a 30mph zone isn't exactly dangerous now, is it?

UPDATE:

I didn't get a speeding ticket!
UPDATE:

I didn't get a speeding ticket!

If they ticketed everyone a couple of miles over 30 that day they'd have had a rough night of paperwork. As mentioned, they were looking to catch the idiots bombing it down the hill. Good to hear and thanks for updating. I like to watch a few traffic police videos on youtube before bed, I watched one episode where they were on the m1 with a speedgun and they were like 75 is fine... 80 ok... then an Audi zoomed past doing about 109 and they were like "christ that was so fast I barely caught him" and that was it, instantaneous fixed penalty because he was not only speeding but he was way over the threshold for them to even offer him the course. Even said during the programme they aren't looking to catch the one's a bit over in that scenario (road conditions were good, pretty clear), they want people who are travelling at truly dangerous speeds.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm so relieved - and those videos sound quite interesting, my dad and I used to love Road wars and all of those cool programmes so I'll give them a search! Thank you for taking the time to reply
Original post by nevershear
If they ticketed everyone a couple of miles over 30 that day they'd have had a rough night of paperwork. As mentioned, they were looking to catch the idiots bombing it down the hill. Good to hear and thanks for updating. I like to watch a few traffic police videos on youtube before bed, I watched one episode where they were on the m1 with a speedgun and they were like 75 is fine... 80 ok... then an Audi zoomed past doing about 109 and they were like "christ that was so fast I barely caught him" and that was it, instantaneous fixed penalty because he was not only speeding but he was way over the threshold for them to even offer him the course. Even said during the programme they aren't looking to catch the one's a bit over in that scenario (road conditions were good, pretty clear), they want people who are travelling at truly dangerous speeds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending