The Student Room Group

Urgent—Cranfield msc finance&management vs investment management

Hello everyone,

I really confuse about the courses between msc finance&management vs investment management at cranfield school of mangement.

1. Msc finance &managemenrt has elective module like fund management which I am not sure only this module is enough for joining investment sector like fund management,equity research or investment bank.Is it better to study msc investment management?(compulsory modules:tongue:ortfolio management and investment,derivative and risk management and also fund management as elective module.)

2.however, the msc investment is not ranking course in financial time or qs.
On the other hand msc finance is rank in top 29 in the world.This point should I concern about it or not.

3.the module like strategic management from msc fin&man is important for investment sector or not
Or it will be benefit when I climb up to the manager ?

I really concern about this issues.could you please advise me about it.
Original post by Jkknew
Hello everyone,

I really confuse about the courses between msc finance&management vs investment management at cranfield school of mangement.

1. Msc finance &managemenrt has elective module like fund management which I am not sure only this module is enough for joining investment sector like fund management,equity research or investment bank.Is it better to study msc investment management?(compulsory modules:tongue:ortfolio management and investment,derivative and risk management and also fund management as elective module.)

2.however, the msc investment is not ranking course in financial time or qs.
On the other hand msc finance is rank in top 29 in the world.This point should I concern about it or not.

3.the module like strategic management from msc fin&man is important for investment sector or not
Or it will be benefit when I climb up to the manager ?

I really concern about this issues.could you please advise me about it.

Hi Jkknew:smile:,

Have you made the application already? I've read through your message and it is clear that you are either going for MSc Investment Management or the MSc Finance & Management. Rankings appear to be important to you, as it is to some. These are my deductions.

Firstly (and most importantly, maybe) rankings for Cranfield are, perhaps, "special." Cranfield is exclusively postgraduate so is excluded from, "Times Higher Education World Rankings, The Times World Rankings, The Complete University Guide and The Guardian", which may have the ranking for the course you were looking at:smile:.

Secondly, as a matter of ranking, the business school which these courses are grouped under, is ranked 7th in the UK and 30th in Europe in the Financial Times European Business Schools 2017 Rankings. :u:

The choice between MSc Finance & Management and MSc Investment Management should be based on, if I would advise, your career goals and then the module content. Less of rankings, as being excellent in whatever MSc you choose at Cranfield amongst those two will benefit you more, as regards climbing up the ladder. At least, this is the story from the alumni from Cranfield.

I hope this is fine?

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep:smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi Jkknew:smile:,

Have you made the application already? I've read through your message and it is clear that you are either going for MSc Investment Management or the MSc Finance & Management. Rankings appear to be important to you, as it is to some. These are my deductions.

Firstly (and most importantly, maybe) rankings for Cranfield are, perhaps, "special." Cranfield is exclusively postgraduate so is excluded from, "Times Higher Education World Rankings, The Times World Rankings, The Complete University Guide and The Guardian", which may have the ranking for the course you were looking at:smile:.

Secondly, as a matter of ranking, the business school which these courses are grouped under, is ranked 7th in the UK and 30th in Europe in the Financial Times European Business Schools 2017 Rankings. :u:

The choice between MSc Finance & Management and MSc Investment Management should be based on, if I would advise, your career goals and then the module content. Less of rankings, as being excellent in whatever MSc you choose at Cranfield amongst those two will benefit you more, as regards climbing up the ladder. At least, this is the story from the alumni from Cranfield.

I hope this is fine?

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep:smile:.

Thank you for your advice.It really help me to make decision.

Actually, I got offer from other three universities and msc investment at cranfield.Yesterday I had just talked with alumni and I realized that soft skill like strategic management is appealing to me. It would help me to fulfill my career goal in investment bank.so,I think msc finance &management is the better choice for me.

The problem is I am not sure whether I can change the course or not?

Could you please advice for me?Is it possible ?I really worry about it? Thank you.
Original post by Jkknew
Thank you for your advice.It really help me to make decision.

Actually, I got offer from other three universities and msc investment at cranfield.Yesterday I had just talked with alumni and I realized that soft skill like strategic management is appealing to me. It would help me to fulfill my career goal in investment bank.so,I think msc finance &management is the better choice for me.

The problem is I am not sure whether I can change the course or not?

Could you please advice for me?Is it possible ?I really worry about it? Thank you.

Hi Jkknew,

You are welcome. Changing your course could happen certainly, but it depends on if the new department still has spaces for new students. I suggest you send an email to [email protected] or the course director of your present course and ask for the change.

Whatever you want to do, time is of essence!

Best of luck once again and, hopefully, see you in Cranfield University in September/ October.

Kind Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
Reply 4
Hi Jkknew,

You are welcome. Changing your course could happen certainly, but it depends on if the new department still has spaces for new students. I suggest you send an email to [email protected] or the course director of your present course and ask for the change.

Best of luck once again and, hopefully, see you in Cranfield University in September/ October.

Kind Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. Hope see you at cranfield university too.
Reply 5
Hi Jkknew,

Kind Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.

Thank for your helping and your support as always.

Yesterday I sent the email about my issue to [email protected]. Do you know how about how long the process will take?
Original post by Jkknew
Thank for your helping and your support as always.

Yesterday I sent the email about my issue to [email protected]. Do you know how about how long the process will take?

The process of changing doesn't take long, once its been confirmed that the new department can still have some more intakes. It is dependent on them:smile:.
You should normally get a response to the email address you sent within 5 working days or less. If you do not, however, and you are happy for me to chase things up at my end, please do tell me.:u:

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
Reply 7
The process of changing doesn't take long, once its been confirmed that the new department can still have some more intakes. It is dependent on them:smile:.
You should normally get a response to the email address you sent within 5 working days or less. If you do not, however, and you are happy for me to chase things up at my end, please do tell me.:u:

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.

Thank you so much.It really help me.Really appreciate If you can help me to follow up.

Moreover, should I cc [email protected] and [email protected] ?

Lastly,I see that my application in EVE has function to amend the course. Is it good way to amend (to change course)?

Sorry for my rushing.I am a bit worried about the couse,presessional course and also accomodation (stringfellow) will full.My friend who is studying engineering at cranfield reminded me.
Original post by Jkknew
Thank you so much.It really help me.Really appreciate If you can help me to follow up.

Moreover, should I cc [email protected] and [email protected] ?

Lastly,I see that my application in EVE has function to amend the course. Is it good way to amend (to change course)?

Sorry for my rushing.I am a bit worried about the couse,presessional course and also accomodation (stringfellow) will full.My friend who is studying engineering at cranfield reminded me.

Hi jkknew,:smile:

Sure you can cc'in those email addresses however, it is the admissions that deals with emails of that nature.
Please feel free to use the EVE function to amend your course- the change though will be confirmed in an email. Like I said, it is a different department so they would need to find out if 1. You meet the requirements 2. You may need another interview and 3. If they have spaces available.

As long as you apply for accommodation early enough, you are guaranteed an accommodation space. If they do not get back to you next week, please tell me. :smile:

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
Reply 9

Sure you can cc'in those email addresses however, it is the admissions that deals with emails of that nature.
Please feel free to use the EVE function to amend your course- the change though will be confirmed in an email. Like I said, it is a different department so they would need to find out if 1. You meet the requirements 2. You may need another interview and 3. If they have spaces available.

As long as you apply for accommodation early enough, you are guaranteed an accommodation space. If they do not get back to you next week, please tell me. :smile:

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.

Hello

Thank you so much for your advice.

Best Regards,
Jkknew
Reply 10

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.

Thank you for your advice.
I got replying email from cranfield som and they approved me to switch the course to Msc Finance and Management .

See you at cranfield :smile:
Original post by Jkknew
Thank you for your advice.
I got replying email from cranfield som and they approved me to switch the course to Msc Finance and Management .

See you at cranfield :smile:

You are welcome!! :smile::wink:
It's been extremely busy for me this past few week so I'm glad that I could get this done! All the best in the course and like I said in the previous thread, work hard at your MSc and you'll be fine.

See you at Cranfield!!:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by legioxo
hey just got an offer today from Cranfield on the MSc in Investment Management and I cant tell you how happy I am. For me firstly it was about the course content – I promised myself that I’d only choose a course based on its content and not its rankings, although these too are important. From my experience, based on the other universities I’ve applied to Cranfield hits the sweet spot in between module variety and content for my career and most importantly, what I actually want to do a Master’s in. So, I guess my advice would be to go for the course which you like the most.

However, I come more from a business, management background, so I’ve been doing things like strategic management for a while. So guess our motivations in course choice could be different, I want to study this subject because I’m really passionate about finance and investment, so the choice was pretty clear.
0/4�_>��

Hello

Thank you so much for your advice. I am happy that you have the right couse for preference. For me the MSc. Finance & Management is better suit for me because I would like to gain management knowledge and skill.

Thank you again and see you at cranfield my friend :smile:
Original post by legioxo
hey just got an offer today from Cranfield on the MSc in Investment Management and I cant tell you how happy I am. For me firstly it was about the course content – I promised myself that I’d only choose a course based on its content and not its rankings, although these too are important. From my experience, based on the other universities I’ve applied to Cranfield hits the sweet spot in between module variety and content for my career and most importantly, what I actually want to do a Master’s in. So, I guess my advice would be to go for the course which you like the most.

However, I come more from a business, management background, so I’ve been doing things like strategic management for a while. So guess our motivations in course choice could be different, I want to study this subject because I’m really passionate about finance and investment, so the choice was pretty clear.
0/4�_>��

Congratulations to you. I will meet new students at the registration table, so I could spot you guys, you never know. :smile:

Best Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending