The Student Room Group

Lying about occupation on motorcycle insurance

Hi guys
I'm 19 years old and I've been working as a cyclist for Deliveroo for about 8 months. I bought and insured a Honda PCX 125 recently but had to lie about my job when getting the quote.
I'm quite worried about getting caught out, how much do they look into your occupation?

I lied because I'm not old enough to get cover from Zego (pay as you go insurance for Deliveroo riders) which is ridiculous to begin with, and when I tried to get quotes online, all I could get back was a quote for £10,000 a year which would cost my entire savings account to pay for.

Deliveroo is my only job and it's a job I love. I enjoy this work and I can make a decent amount of money for myself doing it. As far as my insurance company is concerned, I'm a sales assistant. I have worked as a sales assistant before, a job I ended in May 2017.

My insurance is business class, so that I can legally ride my scooter for Deliveroo, but I am pretty worried that somehow the insurance company will catch me out somewhere down the line.

I am not a bad person, but this is something that I feel I have been forced to do. I'd already paid for the scooter when I insured it, so what am I supposed to do? Get a different job until I'm 21? Ride an electric bicycle until I'm 21? How is that fair on me???

Sorry for long post but I am pretty stressed about this. Thank you if you read all of it.

Scroll to see replies

Its your choice at the end of the day, but if you get caught out your policy will get cancelled and insurance will be even greater. It depends if you want to risk that.
Reply 2
Original post by FullyJewish
Hi guys
I'm 19 years old and I've been working as a cyclist for Deliveroo for about 8 months. I bought and insured a Honda PCX 125 recently but had to lie about my job when getting the quote.
I'm quite worried about getting caught out, how much do they look into your occupation?

I lied because I'm not old enough to get cover from Zego (pay as you go insurance for Deliveroo riders) which is ridiculous to begin with, and when I tried to get quotes online, all I could get back was a quote for £10,000 a year which would cost my entire savings account to pay for.

Deliveroo is my only job and it's a job I love. I enjoy this work and I can make a decent amount of money for myself doing it. As far as my insurance company is concerned, I'm a sales assistant. I have worked as a sales assistant before, a job I ended in May 2017.

My insurance is business class, so that I can legally ride my scooter for Deliveroo, but I am pretty worried that somehow the insurance company will catch me out somewhere down the line.

I am not a bad person, but this is something that I feel I have been forced to do. I'd already paid for the scooter when I insured it, so what am I supposed to do? Get a different job until I'm 21? Ride an electric bicycle until I'm 21? How is that fair on me???

Sorry for long post but I am pretty stressed about this. Thank you if you read all of it.

If nothing goes wrong, you'll be fine. But if you're involved in an accident, your insurance company will find out - and then you'll find that your insurance is invalid, so they won't pay for any damages. And depending on the damage that can be very expensive - car parts, labour, medical claims (eg whiplash), street furniture (eg central reservations) etc. You might also get done by the police for not having valid insurance.

It's still possible that if it's a very small collision the insurance company won't find out. But if it involves the emergency services, the risk of them writing on your paperwork that you work for Deliveroo is huge - and the police ask loads of questions. Even if you're thinking now "well, I just won't tell the emergency services then" you can't guarantee that - you'll be in shock and not thinking straight. They may notice your uniform/food bag and ask. You might even just get a phonecall from your boss that they overhear. There's also the possibility that the other party involved in the collision notices these things and mentions it to their insurance company.

Life isn't fair. You don't have an automatic right to own a scooter or work in a specific job. You've not been forced to lie - that was your own choice.
Don’t worry about it. It’s not a big deal imo.
Even if they aren't chasing it up now, if you have an accident the first thing they'll do is investigate every inch of your claim. Lying to insurer can be fixed, but if it's something significant enough to change their decision on whether they'd cover you or not - which is this by the way - it's straight up fraud. Essentially you are currently risking 6 points and a fine and a cancellation. You have the right level of cover, but your cover was obtained by deceit. I'm not going to go into how likely/unlikely it is you'll be caught, I don't want to play party to it.

"I am not a bad person, but this is something that I feel I have been forced to do. I'd already paid for the scooter when I insured it, so what am I supposed to do? Get a different job until I'm 21? Ride an electric bicycle until I'm 21? How is that fair on me???"
No offence, but you didn't bother to find out how much the scooter would cost to insure before you bought it, you did this to yourself. How is this fair on you? How is it fair on the person you hit who calls up your insurer, tells you a deliveroo rider has hit their car and caused a couple hundred quids worth of damage and then your Insurer then leaves both of you out of pocket because you said you were a Sales Assistant and voids your policy and refuses to pay out.

Never lie to an insurer, they always find out eventually.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi guys

Just out of curiosity, what occupation did you put down?

You've got business class insurance, but presumably your occupation won't correlate - what was the point of taking out business class? You've made a foolish mistake here.
Original post by IWMTom
Just out of curiosity, what occupation did you put down?

Sales Assistant, it's in OP bud.
Reply 7
Original post by nevershear
Sales Assistant, it's in OP bud.

That'll teach me to skim read!

There's one major problem no one seems to have mentioned here, and that's Police spot checks. I know around here where there's Deliveroo riders, the Police are hot on stopping them to check whether they're insured adequately, and this will obviously be checking not only class of insurance, but occupation, to see if it matches.

If the OP were to be stopped for a spot check, they'd be in deep doodoo not only with their insurer, but with the law.
Original post by IWMTom
That'll teach me to skim read!

There's one major problem no one seems to have mentioned here, and that's Police spot checks. I know around here where there's Deliveroo riders, the Police are hot on stopping them to check whether they're insured adequately, and this will obviously be checking not only class of insurance, but occupation, to see if it matches.

If the OP were to be stopped for a spot check, they'd be in deep doodoo not only with their insurer, but with the law.

Never even knew this. I feel like becoming a barrister for humour more than anything else
"You said you are a Sales Assistant yet you were witnessed carrying out deliveroo drops, please explain"
"I was assisting McDonalds to sell their burgers by offering a middle man."
"Story checks out you're free to go"

(@OP don't use that as a genuine defence I'm joking, I shouldn't have to disclaim that, but just in case)
Reply 9
Thanks for the responses but why should insurance premiums dictate what kind of work I do? That's ridiculous and unfair.
You don't have insurance then.

Not an excuse.

Again, you do not have insurance. You are breaking the law.

I am not a bad person, but this is something that I feel I have been forced to do.

Driving without insurance is bad. Don't.

I'd already paid for the scooter when I insured it, so what am I supposed to do? Get a different job until I'm 21? Ride an electric bicycle until I'm 21? How is that fair on me???

How would it be fair on the person that you might leave disabled, without a penny to pay for their care?

You're coming across as rather self-entitiled. The rest of the world doesn't owe you a scooter. Hopefully, it'll get crushed when you're caught. Sorry to be so blunt, but what you are doing is irresponsible.
Thanks for the responses but why should insurance premiums dictate what kind of work I do? That's ridiculous and unfair.

Well... they don't, no-one is stopping you from doing your job on a push bike or electric, you said yourself those are alternatives; you just aren't willing to use them.
(edited 6 years ago)

Can your really not work this out for yourself?

The insurance company has assessed the financial risk that you pose, and has decided that it's more than you can afford to pay (plus their profit, although they often lose). What's unfair is that you think that the law doesn't apply to you, so will risk riding without valid insurance. Grow up.
Reply 13

As above - you're riskier.
Original post by xEmilyxx
Its your choice at the end of the day, but if you get caught out your policy will get cancelled and insurance will be even greater. It depends if you want to risk that.

No, it isn't their choice. It's illegal.

The risk is much more than cancelled insurance. If they cause death or serious injury to another person, there will be no money to look after their dependents or to pay for their care. What they're doing is irresponsible.
So I should avoid doing Deliveroo on a scooter until I'm 21 and can get cover from Zego? My insurance will still cover commuting to work since it's 20,000 miles and business class.
Reply 16
So I should avoid doing Deliveroo on a scooter until I'm 21 and can get cover from Zego? My insurance will still cover commuting to work since it's 20,000 miles and business class.

Why don't you just.. oh I don't know.. take out a policy that covers you with the CORRECT OCCUPATION?
Original post by IWMTom
Why don't you just.. oh I don't know.. take out a policy that covers you with the CORRECT OCCUPATION?

Because when I tried to do that, I got only one quote back for 10 grand. What do you want me to do? blow my entire savings on insurance and work for free for 6 months?
So essentially, the deception invalidates your policy and you're uninsured. Personally, that's not an option that I'd consider viable.
Because when I tried to do that, I got only one quote back for 10 grand. What do you want me to do? blow my entire savings on insurance and work for free for 6 months?

We require you not to break the law by riding without insurance.

Next you'll be justifying stealing a larger bike, because you deserve it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending