The Student Room Group

Engineering at Cambridge

So I'm aiming for a Cambridge education in engineering. I have 8 A*s 2 As (+A^ FM) at GCSE. I'm doing Maths Further Maths Physics and Chemistry, all of which I'm finding pretty manageable. I'm taking part in the EDT Engineering Education Scheme (in school curriculum). Also I try and do as much work experience as I can, although not all of it has been to do with engineering.

What else can I do to increase my chances of going to Cambridge? I've heard of the STEP papers, but I'm aware they are only required for a few select colleges; would it be helpful if I did some of them anyway? I've also applied for an EDT Headstart taster course for engineering at cambridge, but I havnt heard back yet; would this be useful, my school is against me going as it is in school time. What other things should I be doing to increase my odds at getting a place in Cambridge? I don't mean to be naive, but I feel like that's the kind of university I belong at; although I havent always been a hard worker (for my GCSEs i didnt revise for more than a month), I feel mentally strong and capable.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 1
Original post by chinkinator
So I'm aiming for a Cambridge education in engineering. I have 8 A*s 2 As (+A^ FM) at GCSE. I'm doing Maths Further Maths Physics and Chemistry, all of which I'm finding pretty manageable. I'm taking part in the EDT Engineering Education Scheme (in school curriculum). Also I try and do as much work experience as I can, although not all of it has been to do with engineering.

What else can I do to increase my chances of going to Cambridge? I've heard of the STEP papers, but I'm aware they are only required for a few select colleges; would it be helpful if I did some of them anyway? I've also applied for an EDT Headstart taster course for engineering at cambridge, but I havnt heard back yet; would this be useful, my school is against me going as it is in school time. What other things should I be doing to increase my odds at getting a place in Cambridge? I don't mean to be naive, but I feel like that's the kind of university I belong at; although I havent always been a hard worker (for my GCSEs i didnt revise for more than a month), I feel mentally strong and capable.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you are doing the right things already.

A STEP college increases your chances of an offer, but the offer is harder to achieve. Your choice :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Sounds like you are doing the right things already.

A STEP college increases your chances of an offer, but the offer is harder to achieve. Your choice :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks! Would doing STEP increase my odds at non STEP college?
Reply 3
Also, I currently attend a private school - not ultra rich, just my parents value education a lot and there aren't any grammar schools at all any where near where I live. Will that decrease my chances of a place at Cambridge?
Reply 4
Ok, thanks! Would doing STEP increase my odds at non STEP college?

Doing any maths is good, but you don't normally sit STEP at all unless you've completed C1-C4 (ie after you have an offer, not before), and are confident you will do well. Doing it early, and doing poorly, could harm you chances.
Reply 5
Also, I currently attend a private school - not ultra rich, just my parents value education a lot and there aren't any grammar schools at all any where near where I live. Will that decrease my chances of a place at Cambridge?

no

no, Cambridge gives nobody an advantage or disadvantage based on their background. there are plenty of private school students at cambridge (~35% if I remember rightly idk)

to answer the main question - obviously work hard to get as high predicted grades as you can, do some wider reading eg magazines, even an online course? if your school ever offers the maths/physics Olympiad, they would be worth a go.

relevant work experience is good and that taster course would be good on the personal statement too (shame its in school time :frown: )

I think at this stage the main thing is to work hard at your A-levels and immerse yourself in the subject. very best of luck to you!! :smile:
Reply 7
Ok thanks guys! Is there anything I can be doing to better my chances specifically at Cambridge?

Quick Reply

Latest