The Student Room Group

Help with German A-level ( edexcel)

I am taking the German A-level this summer as an independent student. As I do not have any teachers or people who could help me I would greatly appreciate if you could give me some tips. Is there any good support material (websites/books)? Do you have any advice for the research product or support material you would recommend? Is there any good support material specifically for the edexcel examination on the German culture ( the 4 topics they want us to know about)?
I speak both German and English fluently (both are my mother tongue ) and so I don't need to learn any grammar or vocabulary ( I will probably give it a look though; Would you recommend it even to somebody who speaks German fluently?)
P.S. I chose to read Kafka "Die Verwandlung" and watch "Sophie Scholl- Die letzten Tage" for the exams
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I am taking my gcse german paper this year as well as an independant student.I am also findind it difficult to find the right resources.
Where are you going to take the exam? That place should be able to give you advice on exam preparation.

The first stop should be the Edexcel website (Pearson) where you will find exam specifications and past papers (although the latest past papers are only given out to teachers):
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels.html

There are also specific printed books (revision guides or course books) published or endorsed by Edexcel for exam preparation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Krokodilo
Where are you going to take the exam? That place should be able to give you advice on exam preparation.

The first stop should be the Edexcel website (Pearson) where you will find exam specifications and past papers (although the latest past papers are only given out to teachers):
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels.html

There are also specific printed books (revision guides or course books) published or endorsed by Edexcel for exam preparation.

Thanks for your reply and advise! I have already contacted my test centre and asked for some help and am currently waiting for their reply. I checked the Pearson website, but will look into it in more detail shortly.
Are there any edexcel endorsed books on the 4 four topics we have to know about ( e.g. Immigration, Media,...)? Is there a specific syllabus for these topics? Is it sufficient to just be up to date with german politics/culture or is specific knowledge required?Thank you again.
Original post by noshy123
I am taking my gcse german paper this year as well as an independant student.I am also findind it difficult to find the right resources.

Oh right! So we are in the same boat then. Good luck with your exams! Are you taking the edexcel exams?

Quick Reply