The Student Room Group

Police chief proposes to punish drivers for breaking speed limit by 1mph.

If you are going at 1mph, how fast is it?
Why every law is being made to collect more money?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if you're going at 1mph you are travelling at 1.609kph
and because the government are tight fisted tosspots
How fast is 1mph? I mean there’s a clue in the word.
Thing is, if everyone obeyed the law then this wouldn't matter to anyone. Obey speed limits and youll be fine. I know blah blah real world isnt like this but hey.
Reply 4
Original post by Guru Jason
Thing is, if everyone obeyed the law then this wouldn't matter to anyone. Obey speed limits and youll be fine. I know blah blah real world isnt like this but hey.

Or the police could stop being so anally retentive and remove that speed gun from their fundament?

Speedometers are not 100% accurate.
Original post by Napp
Or the police could stop being so anally retentive and remove that speed gun from their fundament?

If everyone obeyed the speed limit then the police wouldn't need to be so anally retentive. Surely going within the speed limit isnt to much to ask in order to keep people safe?
Sounds reasonable and consistent if widely publicised.
Original post by Andrew97
Speedometers are not 100% accurate.

True, but what do you propose to do? Until people learn that going too fast kills people, im all for maxing out penalties for speeding. going 28 in a 30 is ok, going 35 is not.
Reply 9
If everyone obeyed the speed limit then the police wouldn't need to be so anally retentive. Surely going within the speed limit isnt to much to ask in order to keep people safe?

Odds are every single person has broken the speed limit at one time or another so it possibly is.
Original post by Napp
Odds are every single person has broken the speed limit at one time or another so it possibly is.

Maybe the government should introduce harsher penalties and longer bans and fund the police more in this department to catch these people. Speeding, drink driving, using your mobile while driving should lead to 6 points automatically with a hefty monetary fine? we can work out the details later :wink:
I doubt there is any difference if you get hit by a car at 31 rather than 30
Reply 12
Maybe the government should introduce harsher penalties and longer bans and fund the police more in this department to catch these people. Speeding, drink driving, using your mobile while driving should lead to 6 points automatically with a hefty monetary fine? we can work out the details later :wink:

More effort than its worth - not to mention politically courageous.
Original post by Napp

Not for drink driving or Mobile phone driving I say. Going 31 in a 30 isn’t that serious and crime.
Original post by Napp

Is it? in 2016, 1792 people died on the road and 26% of those were due to speeding.

Every year, roughly 400 people who could potentially be alive are not because they were killed by speeding drivers.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/cameras/speed-cameras/
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/648082/rrcgb2016-02.pdf
Reply 15
Not for drink driving or Mobile phone driving I say. Going 31 in a 30 isn’t that serious and crime.

No indeed not for those ones, with that being said if they went to a zero tolerance approach - such as with new drivers - I imagine it might cause some friction.
Original post by Napp
No indeed not for those ones, with that being said if they went to a zero tolerance approach - such as with new drivers - I imagine it might cause some friction.

I’d rather the police spend their time and money catching moped thieves and rapsits rather than going after granny for drifting above 30 mph while driving to Tesco.
the 10% is for the inaccuracies of spectrometers.
when travelling at 70mph (on satnav) my car says 73.
When travelling with my parents last weekend, my mum's 16 plate car did she was doing 75 and the sat nav said 68! so a new car can still be wrong.

They can't bring in a law like that until all cars are fitted with a GPS speedometer which will never happen.
Is it? in 2016, 1792 people died on the road and 26% of those were due to speeding.

Every year, roughly 400 people who could potentially be alive are not because they were killed by speeding drivers.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/cameras/speed-cameras/
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/648082/rrcgb2016-02.pdf

By speeding they mean people going significantly above the speed limit (say 45 in a 30) and they should be punished. I don’t think Napp and I have a problem with that. 31 vs 30 makes next to no difference, and would be too expensive to prove so isn’t worth it.
By speeding they mean people going significantly above the speed limit (say 45 in a 30) and they should be punished. I don’t think Napp and I have a problem with that. 31 vs 30 makes next to no difference, and would be too expensive to prove so isn’t worth it.

No, by speeding, they mean anyone going over the limit regardless by how much it is. They could introduce a law that says the camera's decision is final. If you are worried about being caught then just drive a little slower, its really not difficult to do. doing 65 in a 70 isnt hard.

Once again i get it is going over the top but until people learn i cannot think of another way. If people are worried about going 1 over, then they aint gonna go 10 over. If people are gonna act irresponsible, they should be treated like children and punished like such until they learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending