The Student Room Group

Do you NEED to have PHYSICS for any type of ENGINEERING??.?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
And that’s the reason why I want to go into engineering, it’s a sustainable job. I’ve heard it definitely still is hard to get a job even with a masters hence why it’s important for me to enjoy the course and do very well at it. See those topics just sound amazing to me, one of the reasons why I’m looking into mechanical engineering. I didn’t know it was the broadest thing you can take. I thought it was electrical? I’m not sure why. But it definitely sounds intriguing. Do you know what jobs you can apply for with a mechanical engineering degree by any chance? As in would it be a specific role?
Reply 21
Original post by Snoozinghamster
What (or how many) mechanics modules are you doing for maths I believe some courses allow that in place of physics, to be fair though I have been looking at chem eng which is less strict on the physics requirements anyway.

You could always have a look at the apprenticeship route if you find uni won’t be a convenient option.

Best of luck.

True, I haven’t really looked into apprenticeships much. For some reason I thought they were inferior to a university degree.
Original post by Priyanboss517
Do you really have to have physics in order to get into a course like electronic. Becuase i do like mechanical and automotive engineering however I have not picked physics. I have picked maths,chemistry and electronics as a levels but everything requires physics and I didn’t pick it. Would universities allow you into a engineering course without physics???.

All comments are appreciated :smile:

No you don’t NEED physics. Many universities don’t require them. I’ve applied for electrical and electronic engineering this year at nottingham and liverpool and they don’t ask for physics just maths! :smile:
See, That’s for electronic engineering. What if I were to apply for a mechanical engineering course or automotive. Would there be any chance they’ll accept me?

It depends on the entry requirements. There are mechanical/automotive courses that will accept you without physics (I think Leicester might be done of them for mech), but as far as I know they are quite rare. It's much more common for chemical and materials engineering courses to not have physics as an entry requirement (although I wouldn't recommend choosing a discipline just because it'll accept you without physics).
Reply 24
Original post by ericaosakwe
No you don’t NEED physics. Many universities don’t require them. I’ve applied for electrical and electronic engineering this year at nottingham and liverpool and they don’t ask for physics just maths! :smile:

That’s good! I was looking to go to Nottingham uni. See, I thought most universities make physics mandatory to have.
Reply 25
Original post by Smack
It depends on the entry requirements. There are mechanical/automotive courses that will accept you without physics (I think Leicester might be done of them for mech), but as far as I know they are quite rare. It's much more common for chemical and materials engineering courses to not have physics as an entry requirement (although I wouldn't recommend choosing a discipline just because it'll accept you without physics).

Most entry requirement would usually want you to have it. I’ll just have to look into courses more.
That’s good! I was looking to go to Nottingham uni. See, I thought most universities make physics mandatory to have.

Yeah so did I haha. Some do ask for physics so it makes their decision easier as they feel students with physics are better suited for the degree. But it is definitely not a necessity. :biggrin:
Reply 27
Yeah so did I haha. Some do ask for physics so it makes their decision easier as they feel students with physics are better suited for the degree. But it is definitely not a necessity. :biggrin:

Haha that’s nice to know. But there are only so many universities that will accept you without physics
Haha that’s nice to know. But there are only so many universities that will accept you without physics

Yeap! Birmingham and Lancaster too. Good luck btw :smile:
Reply 29
See, That’s for electronic engineering. What if I were to apply for a mechanical engineering course or automotive. Would there be any chance they’ll accept me?

You need Physics

If you have your heart set on Mechanical Engineering or automotive engineering then take physics either at your school or local college after A Levels.

Don’t worry about having to take extra time ain’t end of the world
Reply 30
Oh well I definitely need to lock into mechanical engineering. I’ve actually never come accords of some of these industries. I’ll have a look at them for sure. I do want to decide early because then I can try get work experience now in the summer which might help even more.
Reply 31
Yeap! Birmingham and Lancaster too. Good luck btw :smile:

Thx you too. I sure you’ll do fine :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by 161BMW
You need Physics

If you have your heart set on Mechanical Engineering or automotive engineering then take physics either at your school or local college after A Levels.

Don’t worry about having to take extra time ain’t end of the world

I could. Will take quite a lot of time tho.
From my cohort and amongst my close friends on the same course (Electronics), our careers and levels achieved include:

2 x airline pilots
RAF wing commander
PWC partner
3x engineering company directors (ARM holdings, Sony, ABB)
2 x company owners
BBC outside broadcasting manager
2 x IT programme managers
Principal engineer and design signatory (BAe Systems)
Product Marketing manager (QINETIC)
Do you really have to have physics in order to get into a course like electronic. Becuase i do like mechanical and automotive engineering however I have not picked physics. I have picked maths,chemistry and electronics as a levels but everything requires physics and I didn’t pick it. Would universities allow you into a engineering course without physics???.

All comments are appreciated :smile:

Engineering is a great discipline but you also need a career plan with it. It's not enough to say 'Engineering has great career opportunities' which it does; but if you're doing it just because of career opportunities, don't expect to get a job in engineering so easily.

Engineering employers do look for degrees but they also look for a natural drive for it! By natural drive I don't mean "I played with Lego when I was a kid" - no. Do you automatically want to understand how something works and go to great depths both practically and academically to quench your never ending curiosity?

If you answer no, don't do engineering unless you really REALLY want to do it - and I'd recommend engineering degree apprenticeships as opposed to a university degree, or at least apply for them and see how far you get.

Back to the topic, maths is essential but some unis replace physics with electronics I believe. Not sure what exact unis and courses but im 90% sure.
Reply 35
Original post by uberteknik
From my cohort and amongst my close friends on the same course (Electronics), our careers and levels achieved include:

2 x airline pilots
RAF wing commander
PWC partner
3x engineering company directors (ARM holdings, Sony, ABB)
2 x company owners
BBC outside broadcasting manager
2 x IT programme managers
Principal engineer and design signatory (BAe Systems)
Product Marketing manager (QINETIC)

That’s amazing!
Reply 36
Original post by BTAnonymous
Engineering is a great discipline but you also need a career plan with it. It's not enough to say 'Engineering has great career opportunities' which it does; but if you're doing it just because of career opportunities, don't expect to get a job in engineering so easily.

Engineering employers do look for degrees but they also look for a natural drive for it! By natural drive I don't mean "I played with Lego when I was a kid" - no. Do you automatically want to understand how something works and go to great depths both practically and academically to quench your never ending curiosity?

If you answer no, don't do engineering unless you really REALLY want to do it - and I'd recommend engineering degree apprenticeships as opposed to a university degree, or at least apply for them and see how far you get.

Back to the topic, maths is essential but some unis replace physics with electronics I believe. Not sure what exact unis and courses but im 90% sure.

True. That’s one of the reasons why I want to find the right engineering course which I will really enjoy as there are so many to choose from. I’m not too sure about engineering degree apprenticeship. How does it differ from university? I know it’s more practical based but other than that I’m not too sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending