The Student Room Group

Why even bother trying to fit into society ?

I don't want a career,
don't want to wake up early in the mornings,
don't want to impress people on LinkedIn,
don't care If I live on benefits in a council house,
don't care If I have to rely on a foodbank,
I get my clothes from Oxfam.

I am just lazy and depressed and I am fine with this. It's just what I am.

What's wrong with this ? Nothing is. We shouldn't give in to peer pressure.

Scroll to see replies

The only problem I have with that is that you're a benefits scrounger.
Original post by Nalk1573
I don't want a career,

u wont be able to buy nice things
Oxfam are expensive for clothes. i get mine from jumble sales.
Reply 4
Original post by lowtestbeta
u wont be able to buy nice things

doesn't bother me

get cheap stuff off ebay, old games consoles, basic diet of eggs, milk, potatoes, do a bit of gardening

So what if you are a benefits scrounger ? That's just a meaningless insult
Reply 5
Theres no problem living that way if thats your motivation in life. With an outlook like yours im honestly not surprised.
Reply 6
but I am not depressed about it.

I am happy about it.
correct me if i'm wrong but don't you have to have some condition in order to live on benefits rather than just being flat out lazy
Reply 8
Original post by Ray_Shadows
correct me if i'm wrong but don't you have to have some condition in order to live on benefits rather than just being flat out lazy

I think what I meant was I would be depressed if I had to work and wake up early in the mornings and slave away at a job.

And you can live on benefits, just tell them you find it difficult finding work, and need some support.
I don't want a career,

There are certain pleasures in conformity that make life easier. You can still be an individual while conforming to some things

[video="youtube;LB5YkmjalDg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg[/video]
I think what I meant was I would be depressed if I had to work and wake up early in the mornings and slave away at a job.

And you can live on benefits, just tell them you find it difficult finding work, and need some support.

they would probably insist on you getting one and offer aid in order for you to do so , i doubt they would just hand out money to you because you find something difficult.
Reply 11
Original post by Jgradschool
There are certain pleasures in conformity that make life easier. You can still be an individual while conforming to some things

but I do conform.

I don't break the law, I don't attack people, I treat people well, I help people if they need it, I like to take care of myself and surroundings,
Reply 12
Original post by Ray_Shadows
they would probably insist on you getting one and offer aid in order for you to do so , i doubt they would just hand out money to you because you find something difficult.

you have obviously never claimed benefits.

They do just give you money every week if you provide evidence you looked for work.
you have obviously never claimed benefits.

They do just give you money every week if you provide evidence you looked for work.

yeh you're right i don't live on benefits because i wanna get a job so i can earn money to buy my things rather than relying on other peoples tax money (partially)

your choice man , do what you want , even if it results to you scourging money from others and being looked down upon because ur just lazy
Original post by num.7

You say this but hes the one laughing at the end of the day.
Reply 15
honestly, no.

Apart from the obvious, like winning the lottery, travel the world, etc

but I have no aspirations within our current society.
but I do conform.

I don't break the law, I don't attack people, I treat people well, I help people if they need it, I like to take care of myself and surroundings,

Sure, but I meant in terms of societal expectations of what the 'good life' is. Sometimes societal expectations are total BS and sometimes they've got something to them. Work a job for a bit, save some money, and then travel until you find something that warms your heart and gets you going. Best of luck.
Reply 17
Original post by num.7

you can slave away at your job and pretend to be happy if you want
(edited 6 years ago)
I believe we all have to contribute to society even if you find working pointless or depressing however other people work to contribute and pay for themselves. While I believe you haven’t found your ideal career because you say the working environment is boring and finding the correct career for that might change your mind on society and working in general. I’m also the type of person who believes that someone can live how they want to however there are always a line. If they are responsible for a new born baby that must contribute and ensure the baby is healthy while this is related to society as your own lifestyle also effects other people and that may not seem like it however it does. People take drugs because others do. People become lazier because others do and use it as an excuse. Additionally, living a life contributing nothing just seems more depressing or boring because you have nothing to look back at and the lack of achievements you have earned. Lastly, you can do night shifts where instead of waking up early you can wake up later.
Reply 19
Original post by 12haywardJ
I believe we all have to contribute to society even if you find working pointless or depressing however other people work to contribute and pay for themselves. While I believe you haven’t found your ideal career because you say the working environment is boring and finding the correct career for that might change your mind on society and working in general. I’m also the type of person who believes that someone can live how they want to however there are always a line. If they are responsible for a new born baby that must contribute and ensure the baby is healthy while this is related to society as your own lifestyle also effects other people and that may not seem like it however it does. People take drugs because others do. People become lazier because others do and use it as an excuse. Additionally, living a life contributing nothing just seems more depressing or boring because you have nothing to look back at and the lack of achievements you have earned. Lastly, you can do night shifts where instead of waking up early you can wake up later.

I might have depression, I don't know

Even if I did, so what ? Maybe some people need to go through a depressed period of a couple of months to improve their life.eventually. Like the depression is a phase of growth in life for them.

Worrying about how others perceive me only makes things worse.

You can help immigrants on the council estate with their shopping,
there's thousands of people in Japan who you can connect with through video games,,
at least I won't be alone
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending