The Student Room Group

Does anyone enjoy being depressed ?

It's like you have been depressed so long and just stayed in all day playing video games that it becomes normal to just give up on life, and you just sort of accept it ?

You become the depression, and this is okay.
It becomes your identity.

this is better than actually curing the depression
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I know what you mean to an extent. It can be difficult to break out of that way of living.
Reply 2
but I do enjoy it.

That's the whole point
Reply 3
I don't enjoy being depressed, but because I've been like this for so long, I'm scared to live life without some degree of sadness. Being depressed and isolating myself makes me feel safe, but if I'm going to do and achieve the things I want to in life then I'm going to have to push myself towards some degree of recovery. I think that I will most likely struggle for the rest of my life with depression and anxiety, but as long as I can become functional I'm okay with that.
Reply 4
trying to cure depression makes me depressed

it's depressing to look for work, make new friends, smiling at people, making goals etc
Reply 5
Original post by Nalk1573
trying to cure depression makes me depressed

it's depressing to look for work, make new friends, smiling at people, making goals etc

Have you ever tried to seek help before for depression then?
Absolutely not
Please please please seek help. There may be another underlying condition which could be causing this.

Also I don't understand how you can like being depressed, surely something you like makes you happy but depression is almost like the absence of enjoyment? I understand feeling afraid to get better, which a lot of people get because it's change and that is something most people feel anxious of. could you be getting your feelings mixed up with that?
Reply 8
Original post by Alive97
Have you ever tried to seek help before for depression then?

Kind of, went to a doctor with anxiety once.

I feel better this way though. It feels more liberating, I now have total acceptance of what I am, instead of complaining about it..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Depression is feeling unhappiness and hopelessness, losing interest in the things you used to enjoy and getting intrusive thoughts (and many more symptoms).

So no, you can’t “enjoy” having depression. Enjoyment is receiving positive/happy feelings from something. Enjoying being depressed is a contradiction at best.
Original post by Nalk1573
Kind of, went to a doctor with anxiety once.

I feel better this way though. It feels more liberating, I now have total acceptance of what I am, instead of complaining about it..

You really need to try to recover though. As someone who has spent 2+ years on and off completely secluded from the outside world, believe me when I say that you can't avoid the world forever. Allowing yourself to give into what your depression wants is extremely dangerous and your mental health is just going to decline further making recovery harder. You need to talk to a therapist,and make sure you can keep yourself safe.
Atm my mental health is quite bad and the procrastination and video games are making it worse. So try to do something other than video games all day because it will mess you up.
Also find something you're interested in and passionate about and focus on and work towards that. For me it's Japanese, so whenever I'm in a stressful situation I just read a Japanese book. Also having a focus of studying Japanese at uni really gives me more drive to succeed and hope for the future.
Reply 11
Original post by cat_mac
Depression is feeling unhappiness and hopelessness, losing interest in the things you used to enjoy and getting intrusive thoughts (and many more symptoms).

So no, you can’t “enjoy” having depression. Enjoyment is receiving positive/happy feelings from something. Enjoying being depressed is a contradiction at best.

i know

that's what I find so confusing

but it's very common

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=enjoy+being+depressed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=mTZ6Ws_eHpHS8Aezn4yQAg
I mean I don't Enjoy it but it's just like a thing I'm used to
sometimes I get new meds and they work for a bit and it freaks me out cause I'm just not used to that feeling
depression becomes comfortable
you still have to try and get out of it though
Original post by cat_mac

I think rather than enjoyment what they really mean is that they feel safe and secure existing in their own bubble. It doesn't make you happy but protects you from perceived threats that wish to harm you. And also if you've been depressed for a long time, the thought of being 'normal' is terrifying and alien, and comes with a lot of responsibilities and things that can hurt you further.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
I wouldn't say enjoy but I found a sense of comfort in it since at the time it was too uncomfortable to get up and make the changes that needed to be made... but it was worth the push
Yes chronicle depression... :lolwut:
Institutionalised depression.
It feels like a safe space, you don't need to make effort, do anything to help yourself.
You certainly don't actually 'enjoy' it.

I was that way a while, after both ways, curing or working towards the cure is definitely better for me. Takes some work but worth it.
You mean you just resign yourself to the fact that it’s more difficult to recover than to cocoon yourself away and stay depressed
Reply 18
Original post by Little Popcorns
You mean you just resign yourself to the fact that it’s more difficult to recover than to cocoon yourself away and stay depressed

honestly, I don't know. It certainly feels like that though.

But strangely, I feel okay. I do feel happy just accepting what I have.
you're not depressed

you're a misanthrope, look it up

Quick Reply

Latest