The Student Room Group

TSR Maths Quiz 2018 (one night only!)

Scroll to see replies

Btw just a reminder- if there is a question asking your assumption about the rope, the mark scheme answer is- "The rope is light and inextensible"
I found quite a few 2 marker questions like this!
Original post by Notnek
It was a great idea and I may steal it in the future :smile:

I was worried after seeing full M1 questions whether people would take part but they did. I think a quiz with short questions that can be answered immediately would also work well.

I was honestly worried about the same thing, but was reassured knowing this was TSR so anything could happen:wink:
Reply 82
Original post by Guava Juice
I was honestly worried about the same thing, but was reassured knowing this was TSR so anything could happen:wink:

Out of interest is this your first TSR account or were you known as someone else before?
Original post by Notnek
Out of interest is this your first TSR account or were you known as someone else before?

Yes, this is my first but I had been shadowing TSR without an account for a few months before I created this account.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 85
Yes, this is my first but I had been shadowing TSR without an account for a few months before I created this account.

For some reason your posts make me think that you've been on TSR for ages. Take that as a compliment :smile:

I wish you luck with A Levels and I really hope you get the grades that you're aiming for. And make sure you keep posting in the maths forum!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
It was a great idea and I may steal it in the future :smile:

I was worried after seeing full M1 questions whether people would take part but they did. I think a quiz with short questions that can be answered immediately would also work well.
I like the idea too: maybe quick things related to more general concepts might be an idea?:dontknow:

full questions mean full solutions, the only downside.:redface:

Spoiler

this confused me a bit

Spoiler

Question 10

this family.... are they from the 1940s ? they are well light :redface:

Attachment not found

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by BTAnonymous
this confused me a bit

Spoiler

Your working assumes that both cars set off from A at the same time. But the second car sets off from A 2 seconds after the first car passes A. This means that it will take longer for the second car to catch up with the first and so the final answer will be more than 3.33.

Can you see how to fix your working? This kind of question is hard the first time you see it.
Original post by Notnek
Your working assumes that both cars set off from A at the same time. But the second car sets off from A 2 seconds after the first car passes A. This means that it will take longer for the second car to catch up with the first and so the final answer will be more than 3.33.

Can you see how to fix your working? This kind of question is hard the first time you see it.

I think so. Would t for the second car therefore be (t+2)?

edit: time for both cars is t+2?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by BTAnonymous
I think so. Would t for the second car therefore be (t+2)?

edit: time for both cars is t+2?

Not quite. t = 0 is the time when the first car passes A. When the first car has been travelling for e.g. 6 seconds, the second car will have been travelling for 4 seconds. Therefore the time of travel for the second car has to be 2 less than the time of travel for the the first car.

So you can either use t = t for the first car and t = t - 2 for the second car, or you can use t = t + 2 for the first car and t = t for the second car.
Original post by Notnek
Not quite. t = 0 is the time when the first car passes A. When the first car has been travelling for e.g. 6 seconds, the second car will have been travelling for 4 seconds. Therefore the time of travel for the second car has to be 2 less than the time of travel for the the first car.

So you can either use t = t for the first car and t = t - 2 for the second car, or you can use t = t + 2 for the first car and t = t for the second car.

Ah that makes sense. ty :wink:
I was just counting the points for the leaderboard which will be released tonight.
BONUS POINTS FOR QUESTIONS 2,3, and 4 if answered within 45 minutes!!! (they are quite tricky, hence why the bonus)
(edited 6 years ago)
I was just counting the points for the leaderboard which will be released tonight.
BONUS POINTS FOR QUESTIONS 2,3, and 4 if answered within 45 minutes!!! (they are quite tricky, hence why the bonus)

Can we still join in or is it too late?
LETS GOOO!!! BONUS ENDS AT 7:05pm!!!
Original post by MiszshorTea786
Can we still join in or is it too late?

You are welcome to join in :smile: But start with questions 2, 3 and 4 which were in the earlier stages of the quiz, as they are still unaswered and I am giving bonus points for them:smile:

Good luck
My apologies, the bonus points are for questions 3, 4 and 5. The bonus time has been extended to 7:15pm!!!
So be quick!!!

Quick Reply

Latest