The Student Room Group

Justin Trudeau tells woman to say "peoplekind" instead of "mankind"

Scroll to see replies

World-class virtue-signalling.
This is some next level feminism lol. I respect him a lot as a Prime Minister but he tries far too hard sometimes and it's a bit embarrassing.
:lol:
Original post by VGM
are they going to change the word woman too? since it has the word man in it

Yes didn't you hear, it's now wo-people.
Original post by DrSocSciences
World-class virtue-signalling.

This.

'Look at me and how progressive I am.'

Embarrassing.
Original post by starfab
Yes didn't you hear, it's now wo-people.

wo-people...sounds like some childrens fantasy novel species...
This is why I hate the human race.
Reply 27
Original post by Unknown-99
This is why I hate the human race.

*hupeople race
Original post by Underscore__
How does this man (probably shouldn’t assume his gender) win elections...

He is handsome he has nice hair and his daddy was the premier before him. Looks like Canada that's gone down the Dynasty democracy road that America has.
As for qualifications for the job, he was a skiing instructor and a supply teacher.

He really is the supreme master of virtue signalling but has a habit of dropping himself in it like when he barged the female MP and was accused of being violent to women.

At the end of the day he's a marketing product and he knows it market Canada must be the most left leaning virtue signalling country in the Western world..
Wouldn't it have been wonderful to see Trudeau debate Bll C16 with Jordan Peterson?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Noodlestudent
I’m studying the handmaid’s tale and the almost patriarchal biases in language are one of the reasons the women get oppressed in the book. Not saying it should be changed but something to think about

well... yes the plot of the story is about a woman who's being treated as a sex slave isn't it? it's a fictional tale set in a post apocalyptic world. not a real reflection to today's society which isn't at the whims of an author. I wonder which part of the English language you find patriarchal.
Creasing at the replies. :laugh:

What is mankind becoming? Oh sorry, I meant peoplekind... :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Original post by Noodlestudent
It is kinda hard to explain over messages but it’s actually “speculative fiction” the author actually put little in the book that has not happened at some point in human history.

Also, one example i can think of in the book is the is the quote “The Marthas are not supposed to fraternize with us. Fraternize means to behave like a brother. Luke told me that. He said there was no corresponding word that meant to behave like a sister”. This affects the system in gilead, which still has parallels today!

just because it's happened before doesn't mean it happens anymore. at some point in history blacks were slaves in Europe and North America, does that mean they're still slaves? Also fraternize is no longer limited to brotherhood. it may have been based on brotherhood but the definition has changed, you can't change the origins. sure it has parallels in third world countries but where are the parallels in first world countries?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fraternize
This is coming from a guy who paid a terrorist 10 million dollars as an "apology" so what do you expect?
Original post by VGM
just because it's happened before doesn't mean it happens anymore. at some point in history blacks were slaves in Europe and North America, does that mean they're still slaves? Also fraternize is no longer limited to brotherhood. it may have been based on brotherhood but the definition has changed, you can't change the origins. sure it has parallels in third world countries but where are the parallels in first world countries?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fraternize

Don’t you think there is a positive connotation to the word “man”? As in “be a man”. Calling someone a girl is even an insult, nobody says “be a woman” or uses any word associated with femininity as a good thing. Women are seen as weak naive beings, and our language reflects that. Young girls are exposed to that from a very young age. Why aren’t we supposed to do anything about it? I don’t understand why some people get so bothered about this.
So is the word "man" totally offensive now? Any word with that letter combination must be changed? Management, manicure, adamant, command... People are so sensitive it is ridiculous. Saying "mankind" doesn't refer specifically to a man, it refers to all humans. Man does not just mean those with a penis. It means just people. Whoever thinks that saying "mankind" means women don't matter need to rethink their perspectives.
i expect he comes from Personitoba
Reply 36
Original post by .Iqra.
*hupeople race

What do you mean, "hupeople"?! :angry:
This feminist movement has become dangerous... mankind -> peoplekind, gingerbreadmen -> gingerbreadpeople etc etc... what has the world come to??? Sorry but what is wrong with identifying some item as a “man”??? Someone tell me how that is offensive to women??? Someone explain... Not getting it...

This feminist movement is ridiculous - because if they were true “feminists” they wouldn’t have made walk on girls and grid girls redundant... no job, no income - that’s what feminists have done to women who CHOSE a particular career...

You wonder why male mental health is deteriorating in society - why male suicide rates and depression rates rapidly increasing... why in the 21st century has this become such a big issue... mainly because we live in a society where a certain group of women are trying to demonise and essentially destroy men - and flood this ideology amongst all women that men are dirty, disgusting horrible creatures who are so lower down than women...

I believe in gender equality - equal votes, equal rights... but I also believe that men and women are different - there’s a reason why nature created man and woman - we are supposed to be different and be better at fulfilling separate roles. Distinguishing something as “man” is not offensive, and if you find that offensive then give me a proper straight reason...
Reply 38
Original post by MJ1012
What do you mean, "hupeople"?! :angry:

Oh my Goddess, you don't know?
By Justin Trudeau's definition, that means many UK surnames are sexist. For example:

Johnson (son of John)
Robinson (son of Robin)
Richardson (son of Richard)
Dickson (son of Richard)
Thompson (son of Thomas)
Watson (son of Walter)
Jackson (son of Jack)
Wilson (son of William)

Of course a lot of women hold these surnames (in equal numbers to men). But women aren't of course the son of anyone, but are forced to have half of their name constantly with the "son of" someone. So what are we going to do? Rewrite surnames to "people of"?

You can see how silly this gets though, I think Trudeau was personally joking anyway (or at least I hope he was).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending