The Student Room Group

Kent/Southampton/Lboro Psychology

Hi everyone,

I'm currently an IBDP student who have applied to the mentioned universities for psychology (with a placement year; business psych for lboro). I have received conditional offers from all of them. My bath offer is 36 and Kent and Southampton are 34. The other two are 35 (regular offers as seen in their course websites.)

I'm thinking of firming Lboro since I want to have a career that is business-psychology related, but I'm torn between the other universities, especially Kent and Southampton to make them my insurance.

I know that Bath is extremely reputable (but their BSc doesn't seem to focus on organizational psych), so is Southampton (as a uni, but their 3rd year as a compulsory clinical psych module...). Not too sure about Leeds (I don't particularly like their focus on cognitive psychology in their course structure) and I really like the variety in Kent's Psych BSc.

What are you guys' opinions on these unis?

Thank you!
Original post by scallopsinspace
Hi everyone,

I'm currently an IBDP student who have applied to the mentioned universities for psychology (with a placement year; business psych for lboro). I have received conditional offers from all of them. My bath offer is 36 and Kent and Southampton are 34. The other two are 35 (regular offers as seen in their course websites.)

I'm thinking of firming Lboro since I want to have a career that is business-psychology related, but I'm torn between the other universities, especially Kent and Southampton to make them my insurance.

I know that Bath is extremely reputable (but their BSc doesn't seem to focus on organizational psych), so is Southampton (as a uni, but their 3rd year as a compulsory clinical psych module...). Not too sure about Leeds (I don't particularly like their focus on cognitive psychology in their course structure) and I really like the variety in Kent's Psych BSc.

What are you guys' opinions on these unis?

Thank you!

Hi scallopsinspace

Congrats on your offers! Great to hear you're thinking of firming Lboro. It's a really tough call choosing and I think the best thing you can do is look at the course content (I know you have been) and decide which suits your career aspirations the closest. There are pros and cons with every course - so you'll have to decide which "cons" you can live with. Also worth having a look at links with industry and what graduates go on to do with their degrees.

Hope this helps

Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi scallopsinspace

Congrats on your offers! Great to hear you're thinking of firming Lboro. It's a really tough call choosing and I think the best thing you can do is look at the course content (I know you have been) and decide which suits your career aspirations the closest. There are pros and cons with every course - so you'll have to decide which "cons" you can live with. Also worth having a look at links with industry and what graduates go on to do with their degrees.

Hope this helps

Vicky

Hi Vicky, thank you so much! Waht you said about living with the "cons" is especially helpful and something I did not fully consider. I find it hard to find cons of the courses/unis since uni websites obviously will not point out their cons/flaws! What advice can you personally give regarding finding uni's "cons" and "flaws"?
Hi Vicky, thank you so much! Waht you said about living with the "cons" is especially helpful and something I did not fully consider. I find it hard to find cons of the courses/unis since uni websites obviously will not point out their cons/flaws! What advice can you personally give regarding finding uni's "cons" and "flaws"?

Hi scallopsinspace

With regard to courses it's not too difficult in as much as check out the compulsory modules and see what there is that you aren't necessarily interested in but would have to do. Also look at optional modules if they are listed and see if you can tailor the course the way you want to.

Have a look at their career centres - what can they offer you? What sort of links does each department have with industry - helpful when looking for a placement year for example. Have a look at the experience they can offer you - it;s not all about study - you have to enjoy your time where ever you go. Our Students' Union is very active have a look on www.lsu.co.uk - have a look at Kent and Southampton and see if you like the look of what they offer outside of your degree.

In terms of uni location, you have to look at them a bit more objectively. Eg: one of the "cons" of Loughborough could be that is that it's not in a city. However - for other people that's actually a pro - depends on your outlook. Also if you really like the coast or being near the sea - Southampton wins hands down.
Cost of living - I don't know I've not looked in to the unis on your list but south is generally more expensive in terms of accommodation and day to day living costs.

Thing is you're making a big investment in terms of finance and time - you have to be as sure as you can be that where you're going will overall give you the platform to go on to the career you want (and give you the career support to do that) and secondly you like the place where you're going to live.

I know that all sounds a bit vague - but it's so subjective it's just some of the areas worth looking at.
Hope that helps a bit as a starting point anyway :smile:
Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi scallopsinspace

With regard to courses it's not too difficult in as much as check out the compulsory modules and see what there is that you aren't necessarily interested in but would have to do. Also look at optional modules if they are listed and see if you can tailor the course the way you want to.

Have a look at their career centres - what can they offer you? What sort of links does each department have with industry - helpful when looking for a placement year for example. Have a look at the experience they can offer you - it;s not all about study - you have to enjoy your time where ever you go. Our Students' Union is very active have a look on www.lsu.co.uk - have a look at Kent and Southampton and see if you like the look of what they offer outside of your degree.

In terms of uni location, you have to look at them a bit more objectively. Eg: one of the "cons" of Loughborough could be that is that it's not in a city. However - for other people that's actually a pro - depends on your outlook. Also if you really like the coast or being near the sea - Southampton wins hands down.
Cost of living - I don't know I've not looked in to the unis on your list but south is generally more expensive in terms of accommodation and day to day living costs.

Thing is you're making a big investment in terms of finance and time - you have to be as sure as you can be that where you're going will overall give you the platform to go on to the career you want (and give you the career support to do that) and secondly you like the place where you're going to live.

I know that all sounds a bit vague - but it's so subjective it's just some of the areas worth looking at.
Hope that helps a bit as a starting point anyway :smile:
Vicky

Hi Vicky, I definitely did consider all these factors but I still find it so hard to wrap my head around everything when making the final decision, if that makes sense!It's also hard to imagine if I would like the uni/city in 3 years time. But I'll get there eventually, I've touched on the unis' links with industry but every uni seems to be very similar in terms of that (and everything else really), that's what makes choosing difficult!

Thank you for your help though!
Hi Vicky, I definitely did consider all these factors but I still find it so hard to wrap my head around everything when making the final decision, if that makes sense!It's also hard to imagine if I would like the uni/city in 3 years time. But I'll get there eventually, I've touched on the unis' links with industry but every uni seems to be very similar in terms of that (and everything else really), that's what makes choosing difficult!

Thank you for your help though!

Hi
If you've weighed everything up and still can't decide all I can suggest is go with your gut feeling.
No one ones anything for certain - you just have to take a leap of faith and trust your instincts :smile:
Vicky

Quick Reply