The Student Room Group

Teacher hates me. What should I do?

I honestly try my hardest and always do the work. Regardless, my teacher constantly picks on me, shouts and criticises what I do. Today, at a small debate on our tables no one was going to speak and after a long pause i vounteered to start. I read a point off a sheet and she said you’ve just read it off. Well, what else am I supposed to do? It’s the only thing I have on it and i understood and agreed with the point.
I didn’t read it word for word. I was expecting her to praise me for having a go but instead she shouted. She’s so nice to the bad students who don’t do any work or know anything. I’m really upset because she constantly targets me and does not acknowledge how hard I work and instead is rude to me. There’s been so many instances where she’s said completely unnecessary and rude things to me. All my other teachers like me and are nice to me; I don’t understand why she hates me.

Scroll to see replies

ask the head of the subject if you can switch classes , make sure you give good reasons though

or you could ask the head of subject about hows she treating you
Reply 2
Original post by Ray_Shadows
ask the head of the subject if you can switch classes , make sure you give good reasons thoug or you could ask the head of subject about hows she treating you

It’s too far in the year to change subjects and she’s the only teacher of that subject. Even if I could, I don’t know what i’d change to.
Original post by Anonymous
I honestly try my hardest and always do the work. Regardless, my teacher constantly picks on me, shouts and criticises what I do. Today, at a small debate on our tables no one was going to speak and after a long pause i vounteered to start. I read a point off a sheet and she said you’ve just read it off. Well, what else am I supposed to do? It’s the only thing I have on it and i understood and agreed with the point.
I didn’t read it word for word. I was expecting her to praise me for having a go but instead she shouted. She’s so nice to the bad students who don’t do any work or know anything. I’m really upset because she constantly targets me and does not acknowledge how hard I work and instead is rude to me. There’s been so many instances where she’s said completely unnecessary and rude things to me. All my other teachers like me and are nice to me; I don’t understand why she hates me.

Go and have a one to one talk with your teacher.

Tell her how you feel and that you are trying so hard and want to do well but feel like you are treading on eggshells. Ask her why she appears to be so hard on you and what you can do to improve the relationship.

It's all about communication. Unless you tell her, she may not even know it's having such an effect on you.

If it does not get better in a few weeks, go and talk with your head of year and explain what has happened and the meeting you had. The head will most likely intervene to improve the situation and you will also have someone else on your side.
Reply 4
I’ve been lucky not to face this before but I can imagine how you would be feeling.
A few core beliefs of mine before I go into this in depth:
~ You cannot control the situation thrown at you, but you’re always in control of how you react. ~
~ If someone is getting picked on or talked about, don’t pity the victim (for they are only a victim if they react to it like a victim) but pity the gossiper/bully for they have hate in their heart. ~

What I mean by these is, you must firstly pity this teacher for she is only putting her insecurities out there by being this way. But also, if you feel targeted or upset that is your doing- not hers. And remember- jealousy is a very common reason for someone seeming to hate you for no reason!
Reply 5
hoof her right in the axe wound
Reply 6
Original post by rnl
I’ve been lucky not to face this before but I can imagine how you would be feeling.
A few core beliefs of mine before I go into this in depth:
~ You cannot control the situation thrown at you, but you’re always in control of how you react. ~
~ If someone is getting picked on or talked about, don’t pity the victim (for they are only a victim if they react to it like a victim) but pity the gossiper/bully for they have hate in their heart. ~

What I mean by these is, you must firstly pity this teacher for she is only putting her insecurities out there by being this way. But also, if you feel targeted or upset that is your doing- not hers. And remember- jealousy is a very common reason for someone seeming to hate you for no reason!

First of all, this has been an ongoing problem since the start of the year. Do you not think I tried to brush the comments off? Everyone says she hates me. Though I try to not show any outward emotions, I do get hurt and feel that it's really unfair. Some feelings cannot be helped so please don't hit me with these airy fairy core beliefs. This is a real-life situation and you have not been sensitive to this situation by saying it's MY fault for getting upset and feeling targeted.
kick the door and walk out
Reply 8
Original post by The Rising
kick the door and walk out

Yes, and then I can get kicked out of sixth form. Woo-hoo!
""I was expecting her to praise me
Here's where your problem lies. Don't expect anything from her. She won't cease to hate you. And highly likely your grades at the end of the year will turn out to be less than you deserve. Face it!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AstronautD
""I was expecting her to praise me
Here's where your problem lies. Don't expect anything from her. She won't cease to hate you. And highly likely your grades at the end of the year will turn out to be less than you deserve. Face it!

Hmm. You're right. I take it back. I wasn't expecting her to praise me, but I meant that I certainly never expected any backlash for having a go and saying a point from the only resource I had that directly related to the question and for being the only person who tried and always tries in my group.
Now think of the largest harm she can have done to you. it's not your feelings. It's your grades. Perhaps she herself hasn't been doing well at university. You honestly try to do well. In revenge for your doing well she'll deal you a blow in the end when the course is completed. Her attempts to hurt your feelings daily are only for distracting your attention from what's going to be the bigger harm.
Reply 12
First of all, this has been an ongoing problem since the start of the year. Do you not think I tried to brush the comments off? Everyone says she hates me. Though I try to not show any outward emotions, I do get hurt and feel that it's really unfair. Some feelings cannot be helped so please don't hit me with these airy fairy core beliefs. This is a real-life situation and you have not been sensitive to this situation by saying it's MY fault for getting upset and feeling targeted.

I never said it was your ‘fault’ you said that. I’m just saying don’t hold resentment towards her for making you feel that way because she hasn’t made you feel anything. But yeah I’d discuss it with a head of house or a teacher you trust if you can think of someone you’re comfortable talking to

I would suggest making it more clear to her how this is making you feel. Hopefully if she realises that she'll lay off. Sometimes people do things that they don't realise are hiring somebody. Sounds like maybe she's trying to push you to do better and thinks you can take it.
If that doesn't work you could talk to the head of department and explain to them how this is making you feel so they can have a word with her.
Original post by rnl
I never said it was your ‘fault’ you said that. I’m just saying don’t hold resentment towards her for making you feel that way because she hasn’t made you feel anything. But yeah I’d discuss it with a head of house or a teacher you trust if you can think of someone you’re comfortable talking to

Yes you did. You said I'm t blame for getting upset. If somebody hits you is it your fault hurt for feeling pain? No. So don't say that people can't make you feel anything. Mentally and physically people can get hurt bc humans experience emotions, and if you say oterwise you are defying human nature.
Reply 15
Yes you did. You said I'm t blame for getting upset. If somebody hits you is it your fault hurt for feeling pain? No. So don't say that people can't make you feel anything. Mentally and physically people can get hurt bc humans experience emotions, and if you say oterwise you are defying human nature.

Of course we’re sentient. But I can tell you after working hard to be in control of my emotions rather than the other way round I could eventually just decide what emotion I wanted to feel, to what intensity I wanted to feel it. It takes energy but it really is nothing like physical pain take it from me. But that’s beside the point. I was giving my advice on talking to someone you felt comfortable talking to..
Now think of the largest harm she can have done to you. it's not your feelings. It's your grades. Perhaps she herself hasn't been doing well at university. You honestly try to do well. In revenge for your doing well she'll deal you a blow in the end when the course is completed. Her attempts to hurt your feelings daily are only for distracting your attention from what's going to be the bigger harm.

Are you saying that grades are more important than mental health which is comprised of emotions? Well, I've never been told that before. The biggest harm is being mentally damaged by a person who should lay off.
Original post by rnl
Of course we’re sentient. But I can tell you after working hard to be in control of my emotions rather than the other way round I could eventually just decide what emotion I wanted to feel, to what intensity I wanted to feel it. It takes energy but it really is nothing like physical pain take it from me. But that’s beside the point. I was giving my advice on talking to someone you felt comfortable talking to..

No, you were saying that in spite of being my best and always persevering I do not have any right to be upset and that I should control that. Well, when you experience plain nastiness that's not the case and it's only right and natural to express emotion and resentment.
No. It's up to you to decide. What I'm saying is that it's not that difficult to foresee what's behind her hate and what the situation will end up. One must believe one can protect his mental health by simply figuring out what motivation is behind the other person's behaviour. Once you've believed that, you are protected. It's not hate it's jealosy because you're smart. If he's smart I'll make him less smart by getting down his grades. Simple like this. She only displays her weakness, understand this and get protected.
No. It's up to you to decide. What I'm saying is that it's not that difficult to foresee what's behind her hate and what the situation will end up. One must believe one can protect his mental health by simply figuring out what motivation is behind the other person's behaviour. Once you've believed that, you are protected. It's not hate it's jealosy because you're smart. If he's smart I'll make him less smart by getting down his grades. Simple like this. She only displays her weakness, understand this and get protected.

YAYAY,,,so I just suffer the injustices quietly, brushing them off as jealousy. I'm afraid that won't work as this teacher has done very well for herself in terms of education, but I still don't understand why I should have to put up with her rudeness and why she even has an inherent bias against me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending