The Student Room Group

Zero spring weeks- what now?

I study econ at a target uni but I haven't managed to get any spring weeks this year (14 rejections). In fact, I only got three interviews and two of them are automatically given to every applicant anyway.

The problem is, I'm not sure how I'm going to get a summer internship (IBD) next year since I have practically no professional work experience and my extracurricular at uni aren't impressive (do a bit of equity research at the finance society, and volunteer every week). I reckon I can get a 2:1 this year but not sure about a first, I can't guarantee it. I have strong technical knowledge and I've attended a couple of networking events but they haven't been that helpful. People don't really reply when I contact them on LinkedIn and even when they do it doesn't seem to lead to anything.

How can I improve my CV for next year? I can't seem to find a way to get any professional work experience as I have no relatives working in any professional field at all.
Original post by FarhanHalim
I study econ at a target uni but I haven't managed to get any spring weeks this year (14 rejections). In fact, I only got three interviews and two of them are automatically given to every applicant anyway.

The problem is, I'm not sure how I'm going to get a summer internship (IBD) next year since I have practically no professional work experience and my extracurricular at uni aren't impressive (do a bit of equity research at the finance society, and volunteer every week). I reckon I can get a 2:1 this year but not sure about a first, I can't guarantee it. I have strong technical knowledge and I've attended a couple of networking events but they haven't been that helpful. People don't really reply when I contact them on LinkedIn and even when they do it doesn't seem to lead to anything.

How can I improve my CV for next year? I can't seem to find a way to get any professional work experience as I have no relatives working in any professional field at all.

- Try to build your CV over next coming months (societies, cold call/email small firms for internships, part time job etc)

- Prep technicals and applications over the summer

- Reapply

Lots of people have no springs but get summers, it's not the end of the road.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
- Try to build your CV over next coming months (societies, cold call/email small firms for internships, part time job etc)

- Prep technicals and applications over the summer

- Reapply

Lots of people have no springs but get summers, it's not the end of the road.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the help. When it comes to cold calling/emailing, is it worth emailing actual investment banking/asset management firms, or should I be aiming at accounting firms, solicitors and non-high finance places? Do high finance shops take on first year interns on an ad hoc basis?

Also, should I make a separate cover letter for each firm when making a speculative application, like for spring weeks, or just copy and paste a generic 'I'm looking for work experience in banking/finance. I was wondering if your firm offers internships' message?
thanks for the help. When it comes to cold calling/emailing, is it worth emailing actual investment banking/asset management firms, or should I be aiming at accounting firms, solicitors and non-high finance places? Do high finance shops take on first year interns on an ad hoc basis?

Also, should I make a separate cover letter for each firm when making a speculative application, like for spring weeks, or just copy and paste a generic 'I'm looking for work experience in banking/finance. I was wondering if your firm offers internships' message?

Anything finance related you can get your hands on. Some of the smaller places do, yes.

Don't just dive in with the ask.. Get to know the firm/person via a chat then ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Anything finance related you can get your hands on. Some of the smaller places do, yes.

Don't just dive in with the ask.. Get to know the firm/person via a chat then ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Found a small place just using Linkedin apply. Some small firms/MM small boutiques take first year interns if you demonstrate a strong knowledge of technicals and work ethic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending