The Student Room Group

Was Trump right all along?

Do you remember the outrage this time last year, when Trump made a tweet suggesting that there parts of, peaceful, civilised Sweden had become lawless because of drugs crime linked to high immigration, and a failure of integration?

The Swedish government protested, everyone all round the world laughed at his ignorant stupidity?

The police in one troubled district (where their new, fortified station has been attacked with bombs and grenades!) are now protecting it with officers armed sub machine guns.

In Sweden, peaceful, Ikea and meatballs, Sweden...

https://www.thelocal.se/20180204/officers-with-machine-guns-posted-at-malm-police-stations

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One bomb attack, and a couple of armed guards does not a lawless region make.

Trump is totally misinformed on the matter. Even if he somehow stumbles his way near to a truthful statement (which he hasn't in this case), it would likely be by accident rather than through diligent research. Or to put it another way, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.
Some parts of Sweden (e.g. Malmö) are a total mess these days, yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_grenade_attacks_in_Sweden

But attributing this to Trump is silly. This has been a campaign issue for the nationalist party (Sweden Democrats) since the peak of the refugee crisis. And judging by the polls, 20% of Swedes feel very strongly about this, so it is wrong to claim that Sweden came out in force to attack Trump.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
As Dez said a couple of attacks does not mean Sweden is akin to down town Mogadishu.
Well for starters the article doesn't mention immigrants at all and most examples of grenade attacks are linked to organised crime rather than immigration.

Second Trump is a moron focused solely on his ego, and will spout anything that supports his views regardless of its accuracy.
Original post by Gwilym101
Well for starters the article doesn't mention immigrants at all and most examples of grenade attacks are linked to organised crime rather than immigration.

Second Trump is a moron focused solely on his ego, and will spout anything that supports his views regardless of its accuracy.

Good grief. The article doesn’t mention immigrants all. These attacked are likely to be linked to organised crime rather than immigrants. Are you seriously attempting to make an argument?

The article doesn’t mention immigrants because it isn’t politically correct so to do. But if you did a little research (or even, heaven forbid question the political motivation of the journalist writing it!) you would know that the police station is in an immigrant ghetto where very few Swedes now live.

The organised crime referred to is conducted by immigrants or the scion of immigrants. (In the case of this area from the Balkans). So you are posing a false dichotomy.

Trump may well be an egotist, in fact he might be clinically insane for all I know, but so what? The question is, was he on to something? Just how well is Sweden integrating its huge immigrant population? Unemployment rates amongst them are off the charts, that is a hard fact. Google it.

Anyone who knows how peaceful and lacking in crime Sweden used to be, how cohesive as a society before mass immigration, has to be a little shocked that they now need to defend police stations with machine gun toting guards.

It does suggest that something isn’t going right. As does the hysterical response by Swedes to Trump’s tweet.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

One thing is for sure, this particular story won’t be hitting your BBC news bulletin any time soon. Trump being right about anything doesn’t merit consideration to the beeboids. Whatever he says, they are against. It is the law.
Reply 6
Original post by astutehirstute
Do you remember the outrage this time last year, when Trump made a tweet suggesting that there parts of, peaceful, civilised Sweden had become lawless because of drugs crime linked to high immigration, and a failure of integration?

The Swedish government protested, everyone all round the world laughed at his ignorant stupidity?

The police in one troubled district (where their new, fortified station has been attacked with bombs and grenades!) are now protecting it with officers armed sub machine guns.

https://www.thelocal.se/20180204/officers-with-machine-guns-posted-at-malm-police-stations

Considering most US police and sheriff departments are so well equipped that they make paramilitaries jealous, and could easily invade smaller countries, it begs the question of just how bad are things in the US?
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
Considering most US police and sheriff departments are so well equipped that they make paramilitaries jealous, and could easily invade smaller countries, it begs the question of just how bad are things in the US?

I've always found it amusing that certain american police departments seem to need Tanks, APCs and IFVs - I never knew that down town Chicago was on a par with Basra :rolleyes:
Reply 8
A friend of mine living in NYC went to visit her family in Malmo last year. In the time she was there her father's car was set on fire.

She's so liberal, she posted to fb that white supremacists must have done it in order to frame minorities.
Reply 9
Original post by Jebedee
A friend of mine living in NYC went to visit her family in Malmo last year. In the time she was there her father's car was set on fire.

She's so liberal, she posted to fb that white supremacists must have done it in order to frame minorities.

That's the level of autism we're dealing with in Sweden.

First of all, autism isn't an insult - calling them autistic makes as much sense calling them sinister (aka. left-handed).
Second of all, she's probably wrong / saying something stupid - not necessarily autistic.
As someone who lives in Sweden, I can say that Trump is completely wrong. Sweden is not a mess at all. I feel more safe here than in the US. The fact that the Sweden Democrats (the nationalists party) blame everything on immigrants is sad. Come visit any hospital in Sweden and you’ll find that around 50% of the doctors are not ethnically Swedish. I agree that many immigrants have difficulties understanding the culture here. I’ve heard some very backward views from immigrants about women’s rights and homosexuality. This doesn’t mean that we should close our borders and let them die. Why not try to educate them?

The biggest problem in Sweden is that people are dying while waiting for an appointment with a doctor. There is a lack of human resources and the government doesn’t do anything about it. Everyone’s complaining and complaining but no one does anything. It’s true that theft and murder are more common nowadays. But what is the solution? Let all the immigrants take the blame? Even those who are good people and are paying taxes? If Trump comes up with a less hateful solution, I might start listening to him
Original post by DotCoder
First of all, autism isn't an insult - calling them autistic makes as much sense calling them sinister (aka. left-handed).
Second of all, she's probably wrong / saying something stupid - not necessarily autistic.

Uh thanks.

Original post by Alamaniya
As someone who lives in Sweden, I can say that Trump is completely wrong. Sweden is not a mess at all. I feel more safe here than in the US. The fact that the Sweden Democrats (the nationalists party) blame everything on immigrants is sad. Come visit any hospital in Sweden and you’ll find that around 50% of the doctors are not ethnically Swedish. I agree that many immigrants have difficulties understanding the culture here. I’ve heard some very backward views from immigrants about women’s rights and homosexuality. This doesn’t mean that we should close our borders and let them die. Why not try to educate them?

The biggest problem in Sweden is that people are dying while waiting for an appointment with a doctor. There is a lack of human resources and the government doesn’t do anything about it. Everyone’s complaining and complaining but no one does anything. It’s true that theft and murder are more common nowadays. But what is the solution? Let all the immigrants take the blame? Even those who are good people and are paying taxes? If Trump comes up with a less hateful solution, I might start listening to him

Your experiences are nothing like the Swedes I've spoken to then. I wouldn't feel safe with no go zone's and grenades going off.
In my point of view, the decisions made by him were not good to all the people in the world. His decisions are not good in some points...
Original post by Napp
I've always found it amusing that certain american police departments seem to need Tanks, APCs and IFVs - I never knew that down town Chicago was on a par with Basra :rolleyes:

This dates back to the FBI massacre in the 80s, which led to the militarization of police forces. Certain criminal gangs were more heavily armed than law enforcement and killed several officers. In this context, they moved to heavily armed SWAT teams.

You can criticize the state of the nation as much as you like, but it's difficult to see what other short-term response they could have made.

Something similar happened in London with the Sidney Street seige, where the Met Police were completely outgunned by robbers and eventually had to call the Army from Buckingham Palace to help them.
Reply 14
Original post by Trinculo
This dates back to the FBI massacre in the 80s, which led to the militarization of police forces. Certain criminal gangs were more heavily armed than law enforcement and killed several officers. In this context, they moved to heavily armed SWAT teams.

You can criticize the state of the nation as much as you like, but it's difficult to see what other short-term response they could have made.

Something similar happened in London with the Sidney Street seige, where the Met Police were completely outgunned by robbers and eventually had to call the Army from Buckingham Palace to help them.

You're partially right but another reason is the DOD's 1033 policy of selling off surplus weaponry to the police departments at a massive discount and seeing as this program really came into force in the 1990's.
Reply 15
Original post by Dez
One bomb attack, and a couple of armed guards does not a lawless region make.

Trump is totally misinformed on the matter. Even if he somehow stumbles his way near to a truthful statement (which he hasn't in this case), it would likely be by accident rather than through diligent research. Or to put it another way, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Why are you any more informed than the President? Areas of Sweden have turned almost overnight into what Trump may call a sh*thole. If you spend any significant time there in the last couple of years or know people living there, it's a fact.

I'm beginning to find it rather tiresome that so many post-truth neo-lefties think they can detach anything from the reality or any sense of facts, and instead say anything aligned with their narrow parroted world view as fact regardless of how little they know.
Reply 16
Original post by Napp

We had tanks outside Heathrow Airport not that long ago...
Original post by astutehirstute

It doesn't take much to get armed police posted around. Britain went on high alert posting armed police in a bunch of random places for a short while after what, 3 attacks? Doesn't imply that there are "lawless areas" at all.

Spoiler

Original post by goggleyed

oh did we really need to see that?? :puke:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending