The Student Room Group

Walked out of job

I just walked out my call centre job. Im nearly 18 and i couldnt stick it. I had a meeting bc i made a few mistakes on the phones some dispilinary rubbish and i walked out during the meeting as i couldnt stick it.

I have nothing lined up and it was probably a bad decision. Call centres are a very bad place to work and the pressure in unreal it just makes my anxiety and depression worse.

I came home and told my parents i quit and they just went mad saying 'why dont u go back and apoligise' 'we have no income for u now' etc etc and all this, my parents legit sit in the house all day and claim benefits and they dont have a clue whats its like to work in a call centre. Id rather scrub toilets seriously.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Go back in, apologise for your behaviour and hand in your notice. No matter how horrible the job was, you acted extremely unprofessionally and that can seriously bite you in the ass when your next employer asks for a reference from the call centre.

update your CV, get yourself on job sites and start applying for jobs asap. You aren’t the first person to do this, best way to deal with it is to get yourself working again! Use your parents as inspiration, you clearly don’t want to end up in the same position.

You acted on impulse but it isn’t the end of the world. Use it as a learning experience and an opportunity to find a job more suited to you.
Original post by Anonymous
I just walked out my call centre job. Im nearly 18 and i couldnt stick it. I had a meeting bc i made a few mistakes on the phones some dispilinary rubbish and i walked out during the meeting as i couldnt stick it.

I have nothing lined up and it was probably a bad decision. Call centres are a very bad place to work and the pressure in unreal it just makes my anxiety and depression worse.

I came home and told my parents i quit and they just went mad saying 'why dont u go back and apoligise' 'we have no income for u now' etc etc and all this, my parents legit sit in the house all day and claim benefits and they dont have a clue whats its like to work in a call centre. Id rather scrub toilets seriously.

Any advice?

You have the right to leave a job if it's not working for you, though it's best to stick it for as long as possible whilst you look for a new job to move into. You can spend your time applying for other jobs that may be better for you - make finding a new job, your job. I know call centres can be pretty rubbish so I don't blame you. Not sure why your parents are kicking off if they don't actually work or know what it's like? You're good for wanting to work and not sit at home on benefits (unless they genuinely need them).

Just focus on looking for a new job. Your previous job will probably not accept you back if you've walked out but you don't want to go back anyway, so don't push yourself to do something you don't want, because of your parents.
I worked in a call centre too and know it’s basically the modern day equivalent of a Victorian sweatshop so I do sympathise..unreachable targets, constant monitoring, angry people on phones etc etc.

However you need another job ASAP so get online and start searching for anything at all. It’s. A lot easier to move jobs when you are actually in a job, so go and take anything for now, then think about what you really want to do with your life whilst in that job and plan accordingly.

But for now, start applying anywhere to maximise the possibility of interview chances or contact an agency who will have lots of vacancies on hand for you to look at..they won’t be great jobs, but they will get you back into work ASAP.
I think your age really shows in this situation. Most jobs that you have at 18 aren't fun, are tedious and long hours, that's just how it is. I think you've missed out as if you'd been more mature and thought about the situation rather than acting on impulse, you could have handed your notice in professionally and possibly used the company for a reference, but there's no chance of that happening now.
**** your parents if they can't even be bothered to work themselves but expect you to bring in the money for them.

I've worked in a call centre before, (outbound cold calling). Lasted a month before I quit, every day I went home wanting to kill myself and woke up feeling the same. No job is worth sacrificing your mental health.

I agree perhaps you handled how you left badly and unprofessionally, but I don't blame you for leaving.
I hope you told them to **** off lol

Call centres are the post industrial sweatshop.

Original post by bones-mccoy
I think your age really shows in this situation. Most jobs that you have at 18 aren't fun, are tedious and long hours, that's just how it is. I think you've missed out as if you'd been more mature and thought about the situation rather than acting on impulse, you could have handed your notice in professionally and possibly used the company for a reference, but there's no chance of that happening now.

I'm 25 and condone this act of rebellion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I hope you told them to **** off lol

Call centres are the post industrial sweatshop.

I'm 25 and condone this act of rebellion.

The call center probably deserves the treatment, they're horrible places - but OP could have done with a reference or they will look like they're unemployed for months and struggle to get anything better

OP all you can do is start looking for something new, that sort of place won't care for apologies, they will just move onto the next person.
try apprenticeship programs. they are the best. they pay you whiles you work and earn a degree and sometimes recruit you right away after your apprenticship is done.
you can literally work in any sector you please
here's a link to help you.
https://www.talentsourcenetwork.co.uk/apprenticeships?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MZavVEA9Euwms9lUEFpx1USjjr4yXlAMW08Lss_5ZRxDvJ78bYWOEsaApIuEALw_wcB

Any advice?

1) Like @cat_mac said, formally hand in your notice. If nothing else you will have some pay

2) Sadly call centres are almost always unpleasant places to work, so now you know at least one thing you don't want to do with your life. The next thing (and this is hard I know) is to figure out what you want to do. Figure out something you really really would be interested in doing for a living.

3) It sounds like your parents may not have the social understanding to support and help you. The best thing in that situation is for them to leave you be and let you do your own thing. If they are actively negative about your changing career, and I hate to say this, you should consider moving out. I am sure they love you but that negativity won't help you or them.

Any advice?

as others have said - it will come back to bite you on the arse if you don't leave 'officially', as they will refuse to give you a reference. this will make it more difficult to get a decent job.

i've no doubt it's a stressful job, but if you have say a month's notice - and you are certain you want to leave, hand your notice in, take it easy for the month, and in your free time look for a replacement job.
why are teachers in colleges and university want the smartest people to pass and the dum ones to fail and get lost

can someone explain were living in this **** hole country were drugs and gangs taking place and the government is ****ing us up sorry for my swearing
Original post by abdullah112
why are teachers in colleges and university want the smartest people to pass and the dum ones to fail and get lost

can someone explain were living in this **** hole country were drugs and gangs taking place and the government is ****ing us up sorry for my swearing

need someone to explain
I hope you find something soon.
You are terminated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are terminated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by abdullah112

Teachers do not want anybody to fail. Drugs and gangs take place in most/all countries in the world, not just the United Kingdom.
Apply to scrub toilets, seriously.

Any advice?

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that you are what I presume the "breadwinner" in your family.

Mate, if anything my parents WOULD NEVER MAKE ME WORK SO THAT I GIVE THEM MONEY. If anything, it's the other way round LOL whereby I sponge on my parents - which I feel bad about, but hey once I get my permanent job I'll be treating them. Anyways, I really feel for you the fact that your parents want you to bring in the income. I would never do that if I was a parent!

Anyways, mate you are 18! You are believe it or not VERY YOUNG and I respect you for going to a full time job at the age. Hell, when I was your age I never worked. I went to sixth form. But with regards to the incident, I guess it was in the heat of the moment. Just go in and apologize and then give your notice. A lot easier said than done mate - yes I know. In the long run, it will be better for you to do that and give your notice - at least you are being professional.

Don't let it get it to you, you are so so so young

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending