The Student Room Group

Was it sexual assault?

So this happened over a year ago but with sexual assault being a huge issue now in the media I always keep thinking about this day. It clearly wasn't as awful as other women (or men) on the news have experienced but I just wanted to ask anyway.

Without giving away specifics,
I was on holiday in another country in Europe. I was on the public transport, my friends were on the seats behind me. 17y/o. I was wearing a dress with tights. This man (maybe in his fifties or sixties) sat next to me. The place was pretty cramped. I was looking out the window when I suddenly felt something rubbing on my legs/thigh , just behind the knee. I ignored it for a while because I thought maybe he was scratching his own leg or something and he was just accidentally touching me too because of the lack of space. But it went on for a bit too long, maybe a minute or two so I looked down and he quickly said "oh sorry, sorry." Stopped. then it happened again for a few seconds, then he stopped. Then he asked me questions, all friendly, like oh where are you from etc. I couldn't really understand his accent so I kept the conversation quite short. Then when I had to get off bus, he didn't stand up, despite being on the aisle seat. I said sorry excuse me, but he just moved his leg a bit. so I had to walk over in front of him. I just felt really uncomfortable then. Anyways, I didn't tell any of my friends I felt a bit awkward to say anything . I also didn't want people to think I was over reacting . So what are your thoughts?

And even if I was right and he was doing it intentionally and is a really disgusting man, I realised for situations like this ,you really feel like there's not much you can do. It would be difficult to stand up for yourself and cause a scene with the bus being filled up and also, it would be pretty hard to report it when not many people speak your language. It would also be pretty easy for them to deny what they did for something like that, especially when you'd struggle to explain and communicate your thoughts to the locals if they asked for more info.
Original post by Anonymous
So this happened over a year ago but with sexual assault being a huge issue now in the media I always keep thinking about this day. It clearly wasn't as awful as other women (or men) on the news have experienced but I just wanted to ask anyway.

Without giving away specifics,
I was on holiday in another country in Europe. I was on the public transport, my friends were on the seats behind me. 17y/o. I was wearing a dress with tights. This man (maybe in his fifties or sixties) sat next to me. The place was pretty cramped. I was looking out the window when I suddenly felt something rubbing on my legs/thigh , just behind the knee. I ignored it for a while because I thought maybe he was scratching his own leg or something and he was just accidentally touching me too because of the lack of space. But it went on for a bit too long, maybe a minute or two so I looked down and he quickly said "oh sorry, sorry." Stopped. then it happened again for a few seconds, then he stopped. Then he asked me questions, all friendly, like oh where are you from etc. I couldn't really understand his accent so I kept the conversation quite short. Then when I had to get off bus, he didn't stand up, despite being on the aisle seat. I said sorry excuse me, but he just moved his leg a bit. so I had to walk over in front of him. I just felt really uncomfortable then. Anyways, I didn't tell any of my friends I felt a bit awkward to say anything . I also didn't want people to think I was over reacting . So what are your thoughts?

And even if I was right and he was doing it intentionally and is a really disgusting man, I realised for situations like this ,you really feel like there's not much you can do. It would be difficult to stand up for yourself and cause a scene with the bus being filled up and also, it would be pretty hard to report it when not many people speak your language. It would also be pretty easy for them to deny what they did for something like that, especially when you'd struggle to explain and communicate your thoughts to the locals if they asked for more info.

sexual assault is "an act in which a person sexually touches another person without that person's consent" he was touching you inappropriately after you had made it clear that you were uncomfortable and hed "apologised" so yeah deffo sexual assault to some degree in future I would say something to someone and have told him to get up and made it clear you were uncomfortable- as you were in a public place this would be safe

if this helps please give rep
I would agree with the above as you made it clear you did not want him to touch you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending