The Student Room Group

is it better to go to a Russell group university?

??????????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not necessarily.
Original post by man111111
??????????

depends on what you want to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say it depends on the course you're looking to study. In my case, I'm looking to study Criminology in two years...Criminology is obviously awarded at Russell Group unis but I wouldn't say it's better to go to a RG uni in this case as Swansea University is actually the UK leading university for Criminology (well, it was - dunno if it still is).

I'd look at the leading unis for your desired course. If the top three are RG unis then it would be better to go to one; if the top three aren't RG, then I wouldn't go to a RG uni for the sake of it being a RG. There are loads of universities outside the RG that aren't given the time of day by some (some, not all people) just because they don't have the Russell Group label. Like I said, if there are non-Russell Group unis that are top-notch for your course, I wouldn't avoid those and go to a RG for the sake it being a RG.
??????????

Hey,

I'd personally say not really. Employers look for a lot of other things other than just if you've attended a Russell Group. I think people are much more interested these days in what degree you studied, the classification you got for your degree, and any work experience you've gained. I think when you're choosing which university to attend, it should go on your own impressions, and how good the course is, rather than it's reputation.

Hope that helps.
Reply 5
Depends what degree but for the majority it probably does matter in the competitive job market
??????????

How many employers know which of the following unis are in the RG:

St Andrews
Bath
Lancaster
Newcastle
Liverpool
QMUL

Posted from TSR Mobile
??????????

It depends on the degree and theuni. Bath is not RG but it is respected for Maths more than some RG unis. Engineering can be more industry related [better for employment] at newer unis.

You cannot generalise -
Reply 8
??????????

Not a factor if you want to be an engineer, which you've previously indicated is your goal. Go to a university with the best course for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is such variation within the RG and within non-RG unis that it's impossible to generalise.

E.g. For History, going to an RG uni like Durham is clearly better than going to a non-RG uni like Liverpool John Moores.

But St Andrews, a non-RG uni, is just as good as Durham for history, if not slightly better.
??????????

Dr Vikki Bolivier debunked the RG "elite" myth in 2015. She did a comprehensive study in to the various factors that make a university "elite" and found only Oxford and Cambridge could objectively be considered "elite". They formed the 1st Tier of UK Universities.

A 2nd Tier was made up using the remaining RG universities, but also included:

Aberdeen
Bath
Dundee
East Anglia
Goldsmiths
Heriott-Watt
Keele
Kent
Lancaster
Leicester
Loughbourgh
Reading
Royal Holloway
St. Andrews
SOAS
Strathclyde
Surrey
Sussex

Her research concluded that there was no evidence to suggest that (Oxbridge aside) Russell group universities were "Elite", and they were on a par with other pre-92 universities. She also suggested that the RG "Elite" status was a case of successful marketing and not based on any credible evidence.

http://dro.dur.ac.uk/14978/

Anecdotally, you will find many people (including me) who attended both RG and non-RG universities who will tell you they had a much better experience and gained a better education at the non-RG university. It really depends on the course, not so much what group a university does or doesn't belong to. Do not believe the marketing. Look at each course and the teaching on each course and decide based on that.
(edited 6 years ago)
There are far superior universities than RG unis that are not RG. Take Loughborough, Bath, Surrey, Reading, Lancaster, UEA to name a few.
Reply 12
Original post by jestersnow
Dr Vikki Bolivier debunked the RG "elite" myth in 2015. She did a comprehensive study in to the various factors that make a university "elite" and found only Oxford and Cambridge could objectively be considered "elite". They formed the 1st Tier of UK Universities.

A 2nd Tier was made up using the remaining RG universities, but also included:

Aberdeen
Bath
Dundee
East Anglia
Goldsmiths
Heriott-Watt
Keele
Kent
Lancaster
Leicester
Loughbourgh
Reading
Royal Holloway
St. Andrews
SOAS
Strathclyde
Surrey
Sussex

Her research concluded that there was no evidence to suggest that (Oxbridge aside) Russell group universities were "Elite", and they were on a par with other pre-92 universities. She also suggested that the RG "Elite" status was a case of successful marketing and not based on any credible evidence.

http://dro.dur.ac.uk/14978/

Anecdotally, you will find many people (including me) who attended both RG and non-RG universities who will tell you they had a much better experience and gained a better education at the non-RG university. It really depends on the course, not so much what group a university does or doesn't belong to. Do not believe the marketing. Look at each course and the teaching on each course and decide based on that.

Nice find! I'm surprised this hasn't been referenced before on TSR.

Now bookmarked :smile:

Edit to add: it will also vary by subject too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jestersnow

It is common for people to say that. Usually they attended a non-RG for undergrad and RG for postgrad. Naturally, postgrad teaching is usually not as good, as you're expected to be essentially leading your own education. May be that you're simply describing postgrad experience rather than that RG uni's educational experience.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
It is common for people to say that. Usually they attended a non-RG for undergrad and RG for postgrad. Naturally, postgrad teaching is usually not as good, as you're expected to be essentially leading your own education. May be that you're simply describing postgrad experience rather than that RG uni's educational experience.

Sort of? I started off at RG uni for undergrad, transferred fairly quickly to the non-RG uni and enjoyed it much more. I also did go back for a masters at the RG uni, but also did a 2nd masters at the non-RG uni. Even at masters level, I still found the non-RG uni to be much better. As I said though that is my own subjective, anecdotal experience. It can be different for everyone.
No. In 99.99% of cases it will make absolutely no difference to you or your future career.
??????????

What I think is that reputation is a lot more useful for an undergraduate degree. The reputation of the department is more important at Masters/PhD level since you will be doing proper research by then.
Original post by 06moca1
What I think is that reputation is a lot more useful for an undergraduate degree. The reputation of the department is more important at Masters/PhD level since you will be doing proper research by then.

Why do you think University reputation is more useful at undergraduate level?? Durham has a great overall rep, but has a pretty so-so and small computer science school. The undergrad degree isn't suppose to be particularly good. So why would a student favour the overall university reputation just to get a sub-optimal learning experience? That makes no sense to me.

As a mature student who has worked in the tech sector for over a decade.... No one outside of academia cares where you went to university generally. Not just in tech, but in pretty much most industries. The only time this seems important is when university marketing departments are trying to attract new students. That's all uni rep is for in most places: marketing.
(edited 6 years ago)
one grad scheme i applied for said 'ideally be a russel group graduate'.
Original post by Dominoes
one grad scheme i applied for said 'ideally be a russel group graduate'.

The amount of jobs that ask for Russell Group graduates is amazing. Other graduates won't even be considered.

https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs?keywords=russell%20group%20graduate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending