The Student Room Group

Is my course really in reality worth much??

Hello, I am currently studying a combined honers course at a metropolitan university studying Japanese and computer science. Now recently I just cant get it out of my head that my course is not worth all that much when it comes to getting jobs ect. Now I know Computer science is a well respected course and that there are quite a few jobs in this field but does combining it with Japanese really make it worth anything (almost like studying half a course). I know Japanese is grate if you are wanting to go into translation or anything related to language really but when combined with computer science is it better to do it as maybe a side project or something?

I originally chose this course because I thought that they went well together due to technology industry in japan. Plus I just thought it sounded quite interesting but have I just embarked on a course that wont really do much for me in the future? I don't really know much about how respected combined degrees are and what difference the relation between the two subjects makes. I also don't really know if the fact that it would be from a metropolitan university would make much of a difference. I think I am just very unsure at this moment in time.

(I do feel I should mention that I do have the option to major or minor)

I do understand that I am a bit naive when it comes to this topic but any help to clear this up would be much appreciated, thank you~
Original post by PartyFunTime
Hello, I am currently studying a combined honers course at a metropolitan university studying Japanese and computer science. Now recently I just cant get it out of my head that my course is not worth all that much when it comes to getting jobs ect. Now I know Computer science is a well respected course and that there are quite a few jobs in this field but does combining it with Japanese really make it worth anything (almost like studying half a course). I know Japanese is grate if you are wanting to go into translation or anything related to language really but when combined with computer science is it better to do it as maybe a side project or something?

I originally chose this course because I thought that they went well together due to technology industry in japan. Plus I just thought it sounded quite interesting but have I just embarked on a course that wont really do much for me in the future? I don't really know much about how respected combined degrees are and what difference the relation between the two subjects makes. I also don't really know if the fact that it would be from a metropolitan university would make much of a difference. I think I am just very unsure at this moment in time.

I do understand that I am a bit naive when it comes to this topic but any help to clear this up would be much appreciated, thank you~

Ask the department what the employment stats are . they may not have joint, but they may have single honours stats.

My concern about joints is its neither one thing or the other i.e they lack depth. I would look at the stats, do some research and then decide whether I wanted to go down the language avenue or computing then major and minor. I might also consider ding a masters, which should get you the best of both worlds. If you did that then I imagine the Japanese would make it very useful.

If your uni is any good hen about half of graduate vacancies are non degree specific.

What are your career plans if you have some and did you have these when you picked the course?:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
What are your career plans if you have some and did you have these when you picked the course?:smile:

I don't really have any specific career plans. Something to do with computer is kind of what i'm aiming at and Japanese just seemed to go quite well with that when picking the course~
I don't really have any specific career plans. Something to do with computer is kind of what i'm aiming at and Japanese just seemed to go quite well with that when picking the course~
I would advise majoring in computing.

I assume you mean software development? (as you're doing comp sci rather than a hardware based course), the course you are doing will tick the 'relevant degree' box, make sure you major in comp sci though

If so the main things that make you employable are

1. Your programming skills, these can be demonstrated by building programs, apps etc in the languages you are saying you know or taking part in things like hackathons etc
2. summer internships/year in industry placements in relevant the industry you want to work in
I think it opens up more avenues. Knowing a second language is often desirable to employers and like you said, you could become a translator, or you can go into computer science. You could even move to Japan and do it there! Or you could be an English teacher in Japan. I don't think you should be concerned about how "respected" they are, but what skills and opportunities they'll open up for you.
Original post by 999tigger
My concern about joints is its neither one thing or the other i.e they lack depth.

That's certainly true in some cases, but a lot of joint honours are useful to enrich your knowledge of the other. Like Physics and Math for example, or History and Politics. For employment purposes I don't think it matters greatly, and if it's an "and" joint rather than "with", you can still go to Masters in either.

That said, I don't think this combination is particularly one of them.
Original post by 04MR17
I would advise majoring in computing.

That is my plan to changing it from a "and" to a "with"
Original post by madmadmax321
I assume you mean software development? (as you're doing comp sci rather than a hardware based course), the course you are doing will tick the 'relevant degree' box, make sure you major in comp sci though

If so the main things that make you employable are

1. Your programming skills, these can be demonstrated by building programs, apps etc in the languages you are saying you know or taking part in things like hackathons etc
2. summer internships/year in industry placements in relevant the industry you want to work in

I see so its more about your experience/abilities in those fields rather then just your degree itself?
Original post by hannxm
I think it opens up more avenues. Knowing a second language is often desirable to employers and like you said, you could become a translator, or you can go into computer science. You could even move to Japan and do it there! Or you could be an English teacher in Japan. I don't think you should be concerned about how "respected" they are, but what skills and opportunities they'll open up for you.

Yeh, I have been told that knowing a second language is a desirable thing but didn't know if it should be something that should be done along side a degree than part of it. Hopefully there are a number of different opportunities that are opened.
Original post by CastCuraga
That's certainly true in some cases, but a lot of joint honours are useful to enrich your knowledge of the other. Like Physics and Math for example, or History and Politics. For employment purposes I don't think it matters greatly, and if it's an "and" joint rather than "with", you can still go to Masters in either.

That said, I don't think this combination is particularly one of them.

My problem is that i'm not sure the combination I chose particularly enriches the other. So I was planning to major in computer science due to this, making it an "with" does this mean that I will be unable to do a masters??
My problem is that i'm not sure the combination I chose particularly enriches the other. So I was planning to major in computer science due to this, making it an "with" does this mean that I will be unable to do a masters??

To do a Masters or PGCE in a subject generally about 50% of your undergraduate needs to be content related to it, iirc.

So you'd be able to do a Masters just fine, but probably in the subject you major in (75/25 in this case.)

The Japanese portion will make you stand out. The amount of people I know who have gotten better jobs that their (relative) equals because they took a double honors with a language is unreal
Original post by dreamweaver4
The Japanese portion will make you stand out. The amount of people I know who have gotten better jobs that their (relative) equals because they took a double honors with a language is unreal

@Doonesbury, didn't you have a chart talking about how much employers actually do/don't value having another language?
Reply 15
Original post by CastCuraga
@Doonesbury, didn't you have a chart talking about how much employers actually do/don't value having another language?

I do, and for "general" job application having a second language isn't a huge benefit. It would, though, of course be a benefit if the job mentions it in the requirements. So applying to an international company with a presence in Japan it would be helpful, but that's a relatively niche situation. And most CS tech companies aren't Japanese...

If you are thinking of having a CS career rather than a languages career I'd recommend "CS with" and yes you can carry on to do a CS MSc with that route.

The "Met" aspect is fine - it won't hold you back.

And here's that chart:

Exhibit 7.5 - factors for grads.png

But note my comment above.
Reply 16
I see so its more about your experience/abilities in those fields rather then just your degree itself?

Yes. And the chart supports that view. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Coincidentally Japanese corporate investment in the UK is in the news today:

Brexit will allow a UK-Japan free trade deal, says May - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42975116

Over 1,000 Japanese companies in the UK, employing over 150,000 people.

(Although I'd say Brexit may be a serious threat to that in the near future, despite what Theresa May is saying.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending